News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Crawfordsville, IN FEB 22nd-23rd. Awesome shoot

Started by grunt soldier, February 23, 2014, 09:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grunt soldier

What a heck of a weekend.  couldn't have spent it with better American's.  Some new to shooting, some already pretty good but looking to hone their skills.  Several folks who signed up couldn't make it do to injury and several I suspect do to the cold nasty weather.   However 10 Amazing American's showed up ready to learn and teach.  I appreciate all of you who made it out. instructors and students alike.  You fine folks showed up, stuck it out and persevered!  You guys are awesome and I truly appreciate the effort you put into today and the positive attitudes.

Maggie, Nate, Rich, Matt, You guys rock!!  Nate congrats to you on your rifleman score.  very awesome.  Maggie I can't believe the amazing improvement you made.  from like a 40 to 167!  groups shrunk up so nice I thought maybe the first day you were hustling me.  Rich, sir, congrats on the 206.  your not just knocking on the door your beating on it.  right there.  stick with it sir and I'm positive you will have it soon.  Matt from a 80 on the first one to a 200.  very well done!  You made huge improvements and were so close.  next time you will get it for sure!   

again huge thanks to everyone who gave up their time to be there this weekend in the 23 degree weather and 8 inches of snow on the ground.  it wasn't easy at all but it was very worth it! 

Ohhh and just for Mr TJ :          :pics:
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

Lonestar6

Amazing weekend!!
Fellow Americans unphased by the environment engaging targets and owning them! I am proud to count myself in your ranks; no one should call you "fair weather patriots" because this weekend was anything but; yet there you were and y'all came back for more. A special shout out goes to Nate for earning his patch and to Maggie for most improved 'seeder; careful Rich and Matt are right on your heels! Thank you all for your unwavering spirit and to TJ for all the IIT pointers.

:pics:
President Reagan is quoted as saying 'There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.' This is a valid observation, and a powerful tool.

TJ Kackowski

I echo the words of grunt soldier and Lonestar6 ... what an incredible group of Americans to spend a weekend around.  I tip my hat to each and every one of you for your hard work and perseverance.  You may not have shot an "official" Rifleman's score, but by your actions you have already proven yourself to be Riflemen (and Riflewomen).  Now get back to work and earn that patch so that the naysayers won't take me to task for that last comment.

Let's start our pictorial journey with something rare ... Let's give it up for Nate, a Winterseed Riflemen, who knocked out Rifleman score after Rifleman score at his very first Appleseed.  Congratulations Sir!

The traditional Rifleman's bacon.

Next up are some promotions.  Lonstar6 officially receives her Orange hat.

grunt soldier also gets a new hat.

The traditional Shoot Boss bacon.

Range conditions Saturday morning.

Yeah, that's 6 inches of hard pack.

Posting the 1st Redcoat.

Shooting the 1st Redcoat ... notice the shooter's form.

But not Rich... he's been here before.

After some instruction, the shooter's form is getting better.

Who snuck in on the end of the line?

Lonestar6 coaching up a shooter like she's been doing this for years!

The Nailer coaching up a new shooter just like he's been doing for years ... you show up at an Indiana Appleseed and you will get put to work.

RBKL is all smiles because she's hanging out with her Indiana buds.

Two of our favorite border raiders taking a break to hear the First Strike.

As well as the rest of the crew.

ATM looks on as grunt soldier wrestles with the self imposed time monkey ... or maybe he's just dreaming of bacon?

TJ shares the Second Strike.

Perfect SITTED position form

Setting up on Sunday.  A little overnight snow and a 30 degree drop in temperature.  Huzzah!

grunt solider sighting in the AR's to use later on the 100 yd line ... is that a bit of a bacon belly peeking out?

A tweak here and a tweak there.

Ahhhh, a short break to warm up.

Ball and Dummy.

Not napping ... verifying NPOA!

As the day went on, so did the layers ... except for ATM & grunt solider ... does that red hoodie possess special warming powers or is it the bacon?

And more perfect SITTED position form.

Finally back to the 100 yd line to ring some steel.

Maggie tries the AR.

Then her husband Nate.

Rich works with the United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1.

Now Nate takes a turn while Maggie puts the flaming pig through its paces.

It took some coaxing from grunt soldier to get Maggie to try the United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1.  Nate was happy to put any available rifle to his shoulder.

That, my friends, is one big smile after ringing steel.

grunt soldier

Dang it TJ stop posting pictures of my belly!  I'm going to stop signing that form if you don't!!    I have lost a good amount of weight but seeing those pics has me thinking I have more to go.

Thanks for all the pictures sir and thank you everyone for showing up and sticking it out!!! You guys all rock
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

Nate Suns

Maggie and I both had an awesome time. I can honestly say that this Appleseed was probably my wife and I's most rewarding experience since being gun owners. We learned a lot both on the range and off and can't wait to do it again. It was great shooting, learning, and being cold with Matt and Rich. Also, there's no way you could ask for a better or more passionate group of instructors, they were very thorough and kept it interesting every step of the way. You guys might have set the bar too high for any Appleseeds we go to from here on out. You 'll definitely see us at the Patriots day shoot(already signed up ;)). Now all we have to do is see what Maggie wants to buy to bring with her, she couldn't stop smiling after shooting the Gara....United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1, but we might have to work our way up to that.

Thanks again to Grunt Soldier, ATM, TJ and Lonestar for helping me to shoot my first Rifleman score and earn the elusive Winterseed patch(and delicious bacon). Your ability to help me with the seemingly tiniest adjustments that made all the difference impressed me to no end. I am excited to see you all again and keep improving!

Top notch Americans indeed...

TJ Kackowski

The check list continues to grow.  So much to learn before earning that Red hat ...

Seated or Sitting NOT Sitted ... check

Cindy NOT Chris ... check

grunt soldier didn't sign the talent release ... check

Make sure everybody is safe and goes home with a big smile ... check

Collins

Thanks to all the instructors and participants I learned a lot and had a great week end!  Can't wait to do it again in the spring.

Mutti

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

Richard1580

While this was my third Appleseed, it was my first Winterseed, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who has not yet participated in one.  You can always put on more layers when it is cold out, but there are limits to how much you can take off when the temperature is in the 90's.  :-)

I had a great time and want to thank everyone who took the time out to participate in this event.  Also, thanks to the Crawfordsville Gun Club for letting us use their facilities. 

Kudos to Nate for patching at his first Appleseed!  Maggie showed amazing progress over the two days.  It was a lot of fun watching her hit steel at 100 yards using both an AR-15 and an M-1.  Her marksmanship skills by the end of Sunday showed just how effective the Appleseed program and the instructors are at teaching and honing shooting skills.

I hope to see ATM, Grunt Soldier, TJ and everyone else at future Appleseeds.  Thanks again for all of the work you have done to make the program a success!

TJ Kackowski

It was a pleasure having you on the line Rich.

You're knocking so hard on the door that it's hanging from only one hinge!  I have the utmost confidence that you'll be earning that elusive Rifleman status at your next Appleseed. 

After that, maybe we'll get you to join us in the Instructor ranks?

ATM

What a weekend! You all impressed me with great attitudes and admirable performance under such a mix of adverse conditions. I saw lots of smiles and heard nary a complaint.

As individuals, I doubt most of us would have spent more than about an hour out there on the range this weekend (if we'd gone at all). Yet, as a group with a shared purpose, we overcame the elements and literally had a blast doing it for two full days. That's the American spirit I love to see rekindled. ;)

Rich, great to see you again! You've progressed steadily to within a shot of that elusive score now and we both know that you're gonna bust through that door next time. Always a pleasure discussing history and book recommendations, thanks!

Matt, great to meet you and glad you came out. Lots of improvement this weekend and also very close to the expert score. You applied every fundamental and it was really clicking together by the end, well done!

Nate, you applied the lessons of Saturday and boosted your effectiveness running that bolt rifle with a renewed (and smooth) confidence all day Sunday despite the cold. Congrats on achieving several WinterSeed Rifleman scores!

Maggie. Starting basically from scratch, your improvement and success inspired us all. So glad you didn't wait around for milder weather - you'll be way ahead of the game by April!

Mike and June, it's always a pleasant surprise when friends and fellow instructors show up to spend a day in the fellowship of marksmanship and heritage. So glad you made it to share such a nice and slushy Saturday with us!  :)

Grunt soldier ran a darn good shoot and earned his Shoot Boss hat, while TJ and Lonestar6 practiced and honed their Instructor In Training duties and skills advancing along the path toward full Instructor.

Remember that "learn today - teach tomorrow" thing?  :cool2: It really does work. Thanks everyone.

We still need your help, so make sure to tell all your friends about Appleseed and bring them with you to the next event! See you then!
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0