News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

General Ammo question

Started by GoNDIrish, February 23, 2014, 02:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoNDIrish

New to shooting. Given today's scarce ammo supply is 7.99 for 100rds of CCI Subsonic .22lr HP a good buy?  Store limits it to two boxes per person per day.  I was told that's the ammo you want to shoot someone with, the other stuff is for plinking. 

Nero

Quote from: GoNDIrish on February 23, 2014, 02:03:33 AM
I was told that's the ammo you want to shoot someone with, the other stuff is for plinking.

::)  Someone's having you on.

Seriously, the reason subsonic is cheaper is that it typically won't work in a semi-automatic rifle, there's too little energy to cycle the action reliably.  If you have a bolt gun (manual action), you're good to go with subsonic.  If you've got a semi-automatic, self-loading rifle, you need standard velocity ammo to be sure to work reliably.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

GoNDIrish

Thanks Nero.  Is it good for my Ruger SR 22 handgun?  I have 2 Marlin, .22lr rifles and a .22 Ruger.  I was so happy to finally be able to buy ammo that wasn't $25 for 50rds of 22lr that I have been going everyday with my wife. Picked up 400rds today. I've gotten 1200rds in the last 3 days. That's double what I've picked up in the past 2 years!

Rocket Man

The problem I have with subsonic in an autoloader -- either a rifle or a pistol -- is that it's so soft and quiet, you wind up worrying about squibs after almost every shot.   :wb:  CCI Subs work fine in my Marlin 70 LTR, but it's so unnerving that I don't bother.  I would not shoot it in an SR-22 for the same reason.

In a bolt action, on the other hand, where you can more positively feel the recoil, it works well and is quite accurate.
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

GoNDIrish

Thanks Rocket.  What would you suggest then? I really want to focus on practice right now. I am storing up for an Apple Seed event and also want to start practicing at the local range with my SR22, without having to pay inflated prices.  The local store has other brands. This CCI is 40gr. What should I be focusing on right now? My goal is to just have ample, reliable ammo for practicing with my Marlins and SR22 and to have a good supply of ammo for the SR22 when it's in my night stand. I saw a guy charging $205 for 500rds of Federal Reserve .22Lr on Craigslist.  I paid $47.94 for 600 of the CCI.  And I don't even know if it is legal to buy or sell ammo over Craigslist. 

Rocket Man

Given the choice, the best ammo for basic practice (including Appleseed) is standard velocity.  But the more typical high velocity bulk ammo (e.g., CCI Blazer, Winchester 333/555, Federal Value Packs, Rem Golden Bullet, etc.) will also be just fine.

This resource is one of several good places to check for deals on-line.

In the current hysterical climate, I'd say $47 for 600 rds of CCI Subsonic is fair.  You could do a lot worse.  That ammo is merely best suited for a bolt-action or single-shot rifle.
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Fixxer

Hey GoNDIrish,

The CCI Quiets wouldn't cycle my SR-22 or 10/22, I use them exclusively in my bolt-action Ruger American where they are fantastic.

Think of "high velocity"  vs  "subsonic" akin to Notre Dame sports. The louder high velocity ammo will always get more attention but quality subsonic ammo in a bolt gun performs reliably well.

Where fans usually assume that bigger is better they watch ND football and basketball and see some success now and them, but if you want to beautiful  games and win championships you need the quieter sport of UND men's and women's soccer   ??? 

BTW, you didn't say where you've been buying the ammo   ^-^

Fixxer
Rifleman(226): 12/29/13 Tucson Rifle Club, New Philadelphia, OH

"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind...Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

GoNDIrish

Hi Fixxer,

Thanks for the response. Got them at the local Walmart. Just went in today and it's gone. Sucks.  Thought supply was catching back up.  Guy told me normally Walmart allows you to buy 3 boxes at a time, but didn't know why they said only 2 each this time.  Does this mean supply is getting worse? Lastly what does cycle mean? I am new to all this. Can I fire these rounds and use them up since I already have them? I will buy HV rounds from now on until I get a bolt action.

Liking all this ND talk baby! They just lost to Penn State today, but I think the lacrosse season is going ot be sick.  Watching them take on Denver next month in OC.

So far this is what I have in .22lr:

150rds Federal Ammunition Champion-40gr solid HV
100rds American Eagle-40gr solid HV
225rds Remington 22 Golden Bullet-36gr Hollow Point HV
200rds from the shooting range.

That's all the ammo I have received as either stocking stuffers or picked for me by my brother in passing.  Should I be sticking to any particular brand or just focus on HV ammo in general?

SteelThunder

Quote from: GoNDIrish on February 23, 2014, 03:56:25 PM
Does this mean supply is getting worse?

Not necessarily...it may just mean they had a limited quantity of this particular brand.  In general, retailers are rationing supply by either limiting the quantity sold or via price.

Quote from: GoNDIrish on February 23, 2014, 03:56:25 PM
Lastly what does cycle mean?

The receiver and the bolt (the part of the rifle that moves back and forth to feed and eject a round) are combined called "the action".  To cycle the action means that you are working the bolt back and forth...this is either done manually in the case of a "bolt action" or automatically in the case of a semi-auto.

Quote from: GoNDIrish on February 23, 2014, 03:56:25 PMShould I be sticking to any particular brand or just focus on HV ammo in general?

.22 firearms are notoriously picky about what ammo they like.  What might work perfectly in one firearm may become a jam-o-matic in the next.  Same for accuracy.  In the good old days, you would buy a whole bunch of different kinds, try them all out to see what works best and then stock up on the most reliable/most accurate.

In general, if you are shooting a semi-auto, yes, stick with HV.  However, you will likely see differences in reliabiity and accuracy by switching back and forth amongst the different brands.  Keep track of what works for you.
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

GoNDIrish

Thanks Steel. I'll do that.  Anyone going to the Azusa Event April 19 and 20th?  So as long as my Marlin cycles fine with the CCI subsonic then there's no problem using it if it's for playing around/plinking?  I used it at my father-in-laws house in Kansas. We were shooting targets in the front yard and my Marlin was just fine ejecting and loading on its own. Targets were about 39-50yds away.

GoNDIrish

So,
I was able to purchase some HV rounds today.  Still limited to 2 boxes a day which sucks, because all the HV stuff is sold in 50rd boxes.  Decided to pick up Federal.  1st box was 50rds of Champion rounds for 2.99. 2nd box was Game Shock, 50rds for 3.99.  I think I am going to go with the Game Shock from here on out.  What is the difference behind a copper vs a lead bullet? 

I am also going to keep that 700rds of sub sonic for when I get a single action rifle.