News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

KD Thursday? Save the date - Aug 7th (changed from Wed the 6th)

Started by Kimber Custom, February 18, 2014, 04:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimber Custom

So we ran a full KD event this weekend that I think was a success. I don't want to wait for another year to do it again so I'm eyeballing asking DRRC for another day. The problem is to shoot full distance we have to shut the whole club down and that doesn't always go over well with the club membership.

What about a weekday? More to the point what about Wednesday August 6th?

This event would be a one day AQT grind. No instruction, open to previous rifleman or instructors. The first AQT would be 5 sighters, 5 confirmation, shoot the stage from 100 back to 400. Each subsequent AQT would be shot for score (no sighters). I'd have room for up to 36 shooters if we ran relays 1/2 in the pits, 1/2 shooting. The pit crew would provide a red hat and a line boss. The center two shooters would be RSO's to clear the line.

Everyone would get to shoot - everyone would have to pay a $10 range fee. History would be presented at lunch.

What do you think? Are you in?

The next board meeting is a week from Thursday. If I can get enough interest I will ask for the date.

George Hacker

I'm in.  Thanks for putting this together and thank you for an awesome event last weekend.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

scuzzy

Quote from: Kimber Custom on February 18, 2014, 04:19:55 PM

This event would be a one day AQT grind. No instruction, open to previous rifleman or instructors.

Sounds like a very good idea. I'm about to setup something almost identical for Palm Bay, Florida - just got the PM a few minutes ago.

Now I'm wondering how to contact those attendees that would be interested in something like that in the FL area. Jeez, wish I had a database of patch holders.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

kenjo

"At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."  Abraham Lincoln

Theophilus

I'm in.  And thanks for a wonderful weekend of KD.  I learned a lot.

Theophilus
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten Son, that whosoever believes on him may not perish, but have life eternal.  John 3:16

CQ CQ CQ de WB7AOW

Earl

The Superglue came off tonight, so I am putting it on my calendar, I will be ready, think about how long this day will be - August is a lot of light.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

George Hacker

Quote from: Earl on February 19, 2014, 02:07:35 AM
The Superglue came off tonight, so I am putting it on my calendar, I will be ready, think about how long this day will be - August is a lot of light.

Yeah... :D
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

Prescott

Count me in as well!  Can't wait to put in some more long range trigger time....hey wait a minute....I might have to run this one.....DOH!   Oh well, the sound of Ferraris all day is still a great way to spend the day....and I can work on my tan :))
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

kenjo

Kimber,

If this is a "go" and you want to shoot the KD I will be happy to handle line boss duties while you shoot. Not that I wouldn't mind shooting more KDs, but you might as well take advantage of this chance to get a KD AQT.

kenjo
"At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."  Abraham Lincoln

Kimber Custom

I appreciate that both Kenjo and Prescott are willing to step up - but it should be unnecessary.

I have 18 backers so we can support 36 shooters. Shooters 1-18 line up on the firing line and 19-34 go back to the pits (2 of them have to manage two targets). Shooters 35 & 36 (one is a red hat) come be the RHIC & line boss. Of the 18 shooters number 8 & 9 will pop up and clear the line at the end of the stage.

Once the AQT is finished 19-36 become shooters. 1-16 go to the pits (again, 2 have to manage two targets). 17 & 18 (one is a red hat) come be the RHIC & line boss. Shooters 26 & 27 will pop up and clear the line at the end of the stage. Rinse and repeat.

The backup plan is we have less than 18 shooters and we run one line. In that case two of us (ideally you two since you've made KDRM) would need to trade off line being line boss (RHIC).

I got permission to do some special pricing on this too so probably $40 pay to play including range fee. If we get this on the schedule there are 4 metro 25m clinics happening where we can promote the event to newly minted Riflemen.

skiddyfisk

This would interest me. Call me a solid "maybe"!

AmbulanceDriver

Maybe by then I can get my hands on some H4895 and make some ammo for my Garand....

Would be a very fun challenge to shoot it with irons this time.

George Hacker

Quote from: AmbulanceDriver on February 24, 2014, 07:02:02 PM
Would be a very fun challenge to shoot it with irons this time.

Welcome to my world. ;)

ShadowMan

Kimber Custom

We're in! DRRC agreed to allow us the use of the long range course on THURSDAY Aug 7th. We have the range from 8a-3p for as many Full Distance AQT's we can squeeze in.

Registration is open: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/eagle-creek-or-appleseed-known-distance-qualification-august-7-2014-tickets-11427637371

Put in for those vacation days and stock up on some shells  O0

I expect a round count of around 175.

kenjo

AmbulanceDriver

WOOT!  I'm off that day.   My Garand will be speaking on that line....   (hopefully I like what it says......  :D)

grantizzle

In for this!!!!  Will be registering ASAP. Anyone from the Seattle area feel like carpooling?

AmbulanceDriver

Just a few more days!  Garand is clean, ammo is ready, sling is snug.  :)