News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hollywood, FL Feb. 8-9, 2014

Started by 9mm4545, February 10, 2014, 09:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

This was our third Appleseed at the Hollywood Rifle and Pistol Club and every time it just gets better and better. With 21 shooters on Saturday morning, the line was almost full and we got a great start with our initial Redcoat target. With several students who were previous Appleseeders, the Redcoat results were better than usual and you could tell that there were some among them who knew very well what they were about. The fire hose of information was turned on and we were shooting those tiny squares throughout most of the morning, tuning, tweaking, and perfecting our sights, rifles, and techniques. By lunchtime, we were all ready for a break and, while eating together in the classroom, we heard the beginnings of the story of April 19th, 1775 as Smoak took us back in time.

Through the afternoon we continued to have perfect weather and very gracious hosts at the HRPC. Seated and standing positions were taught, transitions were practiced, and finally we got around to trying it all out on the challenging AQT. Jorge and Juan showed us that their skills were still up to the task and re-qualified with no problem. With several others having shown marked improvement, the awarding of Rifleman recognition was only a matter of time.

Sunday morning came all too quickly for some of us but our creaky old bones stirred anyway; our 18 eager shooters were into the game without delay. Using a student (thanks Sue!) for a model, we reviewed the prone position and had everyone help with the coaching. Our day moved along with improvements gradually taking place. At lunchtime, we learned about life beyond 25 meters with a presentation on known distance shooting. The AQT grind started to hammer out new Riflemen and before long we had three new Riflemen joining the ranks. Congratulations to Devin, Jack, and Doug! We were able to take four of our better shooters over to the 100 yard range and demonstrate that what works at 25 meters also works at 100 yards--just like we said it would. By day's end we instructors felt that we were well paid indeed and another successful Appleseed was in the bag. Despite the long drive and the limitation of rimfire rifles only, this is one of my favorite locations for doing Appleseed events as we have always attracted really fine people and some darn good shooters at this venue. I cannot wait to return! My profound thanks to Janet, Smoak, Neil, and Chris: you guys are the best and make my job easy. Stay tuned as there are photos to follow.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

IRONSIGHTS4ME

:) just wanted to say thanks to our great shoot boss and his great instructors. This was my second event and I was just as excited about it as the first one.  :pics:

I really enjoyed the presentation on the come ups and the inches, minutes and clicks.

May I suggest a tacked thread as it is a great reference.

Congrats to the new riflemen, welcome to the club.

9mm4545

You want pictures? You got it! Presented in no particular order and devoid of descriptions are the photos on Rambo Granny's camera. I will rely on others to fill in the captions...
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

at2wooden

Outstanding Shoot! As always great instruction and passionate story telling.
The "known distance" instruction was a real bonus and we learned new things.
Lesly got a 205 this time and pestered me all the way home about when they are having the next event.
The instructors patience with shooters who need a little more help was world class.
God bless you guys! 
"It's dangerous to be right when the government is wrong." - Voltaire

Outrigger Jack

Kudos to Shoot Boss, Bruce, and all the Instructors at Hollywood! 
Limited number of shooters meant lots of attention from our mentors. 
Great bunch of folks participating.

Ran out of ammo at 450 rounds...no prob!  Doug pulled out a couple of boxes of
38 gr American Eagle and saved the day! His wife Sue (aka "Wire Slayer") never gave up!
Lucky enough (worked hard enough?) to earn the Rifleman patch, and honored that Prof CJ (my son, Chris) was there to award the Patch! Photo of Pop and Son attached!
My friends from work and their sons, who attended the shoot, are clamoring to shoot centerfire, maybe up in the northern part of Florida.  Gluttons for punishment!

ItsanSKS

QuoteGluttons for punishment!

Nah, it's just that much more fun! (and perhaps that center fire ammo is easier to find than .22?)
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

gvnndtrrs

Had a great time, learned allot. I feel proud to know that we're helping shape America back into a nation of men "who know very well what they are about".

FlyingScot

Great time, "wire slayer" is shopping a rifle that fits her.  I think I'll build one - pretty handy at building things and she gets a rifle that fits her, and I get an excuse to make something :).

Next time I'll have my daughter and dad join us.  Means after I give out the rifles I'll be working my CZ 452 HMR - so I need to put in some dry fire with the bolt.  Really appreciate the spirit and intent of these shoots, as well as the folks that attend and instruct.  Sue says she doesn't know if she'll be a Granny Rambo - but she will get better / doesn't know quit.

'Til next time!

at2wooden

Any word on another shoot at this location anytime soon?
"It's dangerous to be right when the government is wrong." - Voltaire

9mm4545

Currently it is in the hands of the club as to when they can fit another Appleseed into their schedule. Most likely it will be sometime in spring or summer. We are ready at any time for a return engagement. Sooner will be be better than later!