News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Howell Kids Camp @ Bonfield Jun 27 29

Started by 2 clicks low, February 06, 2014, 08:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2 clicks low

Hi,

Once again the Howell NRA Kids Camp at the Illinois State Rifle Assn. Range, Jun 27 - 29 is looking for volunteers.

Instructors needed in .22 rifle, .22 pistol, Black powder, Shotgun, AR-15, Archery....

You can also contact Samantha Ritacco directly at 708-829-8446 with any questions or email her at sam.chyc@yahoo.com.

https://saferusanfp.org/Clyde_Howell_NRA_YSSC.php

2 clicks low
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

colycat

Ron,

Have we helped out with this in the past and if so what was the up side for Appleseed?

Thanks,

coly
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

2 clicks low

Coly,

I've taught there for 6 or 7 years. I've had RWVA instructors help 4 or 5 years but no, it was never official, just a red hat and a t-shirt. I have put this notice up for the last 4 or so years.

The upside is the opportunity to 7th step and hand out tri-folds. Parents seem more interested in what you are saying about AS when you are teaching their kids gun safety. I have seen a couple of families from the camp show up at AS's. Not huge numbers, but a couple. Could be more as I don't make every shoot.

The registrar seems to be digging for extra events, maybe a Liberty Seed? Anyone want to tell the story to 125 kids in 45- 60 minutes?

While this may only be tangent to the mission, I believe we further the mission when we support our non-political 2A brothers. If I am wrong in this please let me know and I'll delete the thread.

2cl

Edited to add: ISRA seems to like seeing RWVA instructors helping out at events like this and the open house. It lets them know we support them in addition to using their range. Also please keep in mind that Dave Lombardo who runs this camp is also president of ASC (Waterman).

DrRichP

Teaching our youth gun safety and rifle marksmanship ... OUTSTANDING!! O0  Plus a free opportunity to talk Appleseed. Does it get any better than this?
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

AuntieBellum

I would LOVE to tell the story to those kids! One hour drive and a captive audience of youth? Awesome.  Do I need to contact the person you listed to make it happen?
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

2 clicks low

I sent her an email confirming that I would be teaching and sending in my packet next week. I also asked her if we could give a 1 hour Liberty Seed.
Couldn't hurt to contact her again could it?

2 clicks low

Mutti

Those few moments with each Youth really do make a difference. I've seen about a dozen Kids (and parents) on the line from the Youth Camps down here.

The Playing Cards make good little snippets of History :-)

Thanks 2clicks for the BTT
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

2 clicks low

slim

You guys might want to check with the national director to make sure it's okay to be there with Appleseed stuff on. Staffing events like this could put our program in jeopardy.

There's nothing wrong with setting up a table and passing out info but "working" a firing line with anything that says Appleseed might give people the idea we're sponsoring the event and, as such, bring undue liability onto our program.

2 clicks low

Quote from: slim on June 06, 2014, 05:23:18 PM
You guys might want to check with the national director to make sure it's okay to be there with Appleseed stuff on. Staffing events like this could put our program in jeopardy.

There's nothing wrong with setting up a table and passing out info but "working" a firing line with anything that says Appleseed might give people the idea we're sponsoring the event and, as such, bring undue liability onto our program.

Seriously?

It's a NRA Kids Camp held on the range of the Illinois State Rifle Assn. In years past I have been joined by Red and Orange hats and even a State Coordinators in full dress. As I don't want any problems for the program I'll just wear my NRA instructor hat and shirt.  I will also stop wearing my red hat when I teach CCW. I will still give each student a tri-fold.

2 clicks low

SPQR

He's serious. Fred pulled the plug on Appleseed staffing the lines with sponsorship at the OutbreakOmega event. I am told that it was for this very reason.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

connibear

Was just curious to know if their is an official statement about this somewhere on here, not saying it's not true, but just curious to see if an announcement was made so we don't keep running these lines with appleseed stuff on.?
......"Where the spirit of the Lord is there is Liberty."    I Cor. 3:17b

A Nation that does not serve the Lord Jesus Christ cannot and does not have Liberty.

Mutti

These have been "out there" for 3-4 Months. If there is any Official change from past years I am not aware.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

slim

colycat

The Omaga Zombie shoot is a different animal than helping out the NRA teach kids safety.  I wouldn't get my undies in a bundle about wearing AS stuff while you help out with this event.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

SPQR

Coly, I was told it was a liability issue, not an image one. Was I incorrect?  I was told that the cross promotional nature of affiliating with outside groups as Appleseed RSOs was the same as co sponsorship and therefore made us liable to damages in the case of incidents. Was it a different reason?  I would like to know because I am getting traffic from both side, instructors who were into helping out and making that connection and potential industry partners disappointed at our unwillingness to work with them.

What is the difference between showing up to RSO in an Appleseed shirt at Outbreak and handing out literature and promo stuff and RSOing 2CLs operation and handing out literature and promo stuff?  Was the Ourbreak effort nixed because of liability, image or something else? 
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

slim

From what I understand the policy is being reviewed.

fepowered

Quote from: connibear on June 06, 2014, 10:11:48 PM
Was just curious to know if their is an official statement about this somewhere on here, not saying it's not true, but just curious to see if an announcement was made so we don't keep running these lines with appleseed stuff on.?
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=42261.msg300017#msg300017
"Today, we need a nation of Riflemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."