News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

DFW 2-Day Appleseeds

Started by PaleRider, January 26, 2014, 02:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaleRider

Are there going to be any this year?  :wb:
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him." Rev 6:8

floydf

We've shifted the DFW schedule for this year around because of our range situation.

We have two ranges.  Quail Creek, where we have been running events for several years now is 26yd only (actually, 68 feet: best place in America to qual with iron sights).

Our new range, Big Boar, can go out to 400, but is within ear shot of a church, so shooting on Sunday can't start before 1pm in order not to wake up the men during  the sermon (which makes them cranky for the rest of the day).

So we have split the Appleseed weekend into Day One (which follows the full Saturday program of instruction), and is hosted at Quail Creek.  And Day Two, which follows the Sunday drills and AQT grind, plus the chance to shoot at 300 yards, which is hosted at Big Boar.

All of the attendees at the Day One yesterday at QC were instructed how to sign up for a Day Two with no additional Appleseed fees.  Depending on traffic, that may or may not continue, but that's the way it works now.  There is a separate range fee, but there would be that regardless.

We've only scheduled through June.  If this works, we'll continue it.  If not, we'll do something different.

Hope this helps.  Not sure I understand the head banging icon.

floydf (the person mostly responsible for the scheduling, at this point)

"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

PaleRider

The head banging is due to the fact that there aren't any 2-day shoots in San Antonio either, and Davilla has no schedule yet. Fredericksburg is the closest, but I'd like to see more 2-day options within driving distance of San Antonio.
Tim
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him." Rev 6:8

floydf

OK, understand.  At this point. Fredricksburg in March looks like the best bet.

Plus a whole lot closer :)

Floyd
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

TimBeatty

The range just north of Waco TX will have the dates posted very soon. Its a nice range. Its just under 200 miles from La Vernia TX (The town listed in your profile.) Motel rooms are very cheap in that area.  http://ctrpclub.org/
Tim Beatty

scuzzy

Quote from: PaleRider on January 26, 2014, 10:07:06 PM
The head banging is due to the fact that there aren't any 2-day shoots in San Antonio either, and Davilla has no schedule yet. Fredericksburg is the closest, but I'd like to see more 2-day options within driving distance of San Antonio.
Tim

We added some shoots to San Antonio just a week or two back. Davilla will be adding ranges too for this year - I should be getting that info pretty soon.

http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-display.php?qstate=TX&statename=Texas
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Bruce

I'm trying to clarify some items for the Feb. 22nd Appleseed at DFW - Quail Creek Range.

1. Per the schedule information: "Some ranges are .22 rimfire only. At ranges that allow centerfire no rifle cartridges over 8mm cal are allowed."
- Is it known yet if this is a .22 range only? I'm organizing a (small) group to go and some would like to use an AR-15 style rifle, which would not work if .22 rimfire only.

2. Under Misc: "No FMJ is allowed. All ammo must be soft point or hollow point."
- Does this apply to .22 as well, or just the larger calibers (like .223 or 5.56 for those hoping to bring an AR-15 style)?

Just trying to get situated well enough before the shoot. It's really hard to find .22 ammo for starters, and this is one reason why 2 people want to use the AR style as they have ammo for it. 
I was also hoping to try out my M1 Garand for a final qualification of the day as I still have not shot from it. Thought it would be fitting to use it for the first time at an Appleseed shoot.

Thanks

floydf

Any sort of 22 ammo is fine. 

Center-fire is fine as well.  For the Garand, make sure you have the appropriate ammo: don't use regular old hunting ammo.  AR is OK to use pretty much anything.  All we're shooting is paper.

The only thing we really really really don't want people shooting at QC is Mosin Nagant carbines, because of the noise :)

Look forward to seeing you on the line!

Floyd

Quote from: Bruce on February 06, 2014, 12:36:26 PM
I'm trying to clarify some items for the Feb. 22nd Appleseed at DFW - Quail Creek Range.

1. Per the schedule information: "Some ranges are .22 rimfire only. At ranges that allow centerfire no rifle cartridges over 8mm cal are allowed."
- Is it known yet if this is a .22 range only? I'm organizing a (small) group to go and some would like to use an AR-15 style rifle, which would not work if .22 rimfire only.

2. Under Misc: "No FMJ is allowed. All ammo must be soft point or hollow point."
- Does this apply to .22 as well, or just the larger calibers (like .223 or 5.56 for those hoping to bring an AR-15 style)?

Just trying to get situated well enough before the shoot. It's really hard to find .22 ammo for starters, and this is one reason why 2 people want to use the AR style as they have ammo for it. 
I was also hoping to try out my M1 Garand for a final qualification of the day as I still have not shot from it. Thought it would be fitting to use it for the first time at an Appleseed shoot.

Thanks

hootntexas

Floyd,

Thanks for the good info about the D/FW shoots, it all makes sense now. I purchased gift certificates for myself and two sons for Christmas.  How do we sign up for the FW day 1 with the certificates and how many rounds will be needed for the Dallas day 2 shoot? 

I really enjoyed my first Appleseed shoot at QC in Oct. and we are all looking forward to one this spring.

Thanks,

Doug

Gugisman

"The only thing we really really really don't want people shooting at QC is Mosin Nagant carbines, because of the noise :)"

Ouch...  :wb:

The right to freedom is the gift of God Almighty....The rights of the Colonists as Christians may be best understood by reading, and carefully studying the institutes of the great Lawgiver and head of the Christian Church: which are to be found clearly written and promuligated in the New Testament.
― Samuel Adams

scuzzy

Quote from: hootntexas on February 10, 2014, 04:49:40 PM

I purchased gift certificates for myself and two sons for Christmas.  How do we sign up for the FW day 1 with the certificates and how many rounds will be needed for the Dallas day 2 shoot? 

See me an email to info@appleseedinfo.org and I'll get you setup with the certificates.

Don't know what the round count will be though.

hootntexas

Quote from: scuzzy on February 10, 2014, 07:13:07 PM

I purchased gift certificates for myself and two sons for Christmas.  How do we sign up for the FW day 1 with the certificates and how many rounds will be needed for the Dallas day 2 shoot? 

See me an email to info@appleseedinfo.org and I'll get you setup with the certificates.

Don't know what the round count will be though.

Thanks Scuzzy, email sent......

floydf

Floyd,

Thanks for the good info about the D/FW shoots, it all makes sense now. I purchased gift certificates for myself and two sons for Christmas.  How do we sign up for the FW day 1 with the certificates and how many rounds will be needed for the Dallas day 2 shoot? 

I really enjoyed my first Appleseed shoot at QC in Oct. and we are all looking forward to one this spring.

Thanks,

Doug

Doug,

Send me email at floydf@txcnx.com, and I'll send you the instructions on signing up using the certificates.

Round count for Day 2 will be about 120 at the 25yd line, and then 85 rounds for the distance part.

Floyd

hootntexas

Bruce

Hi Floyd.  Another question for you.  I am hoping that my niece will join me. She is 12 and has been around firearms, but not shot that much. Being new to Texas, can you confirm that she is of legal age to attend the event as long as I have (written?) permission from one of her parents?

The weather is looking better! Looking forward to this.

TimBeatty

Our age limit is 10 years old.
Tim Beatty

floydf

Hopefully winter is past.

As far as the age is concerned, the Appleseed FAQ says

I'd like to bring my son, how old do kids need to be to come to an Appleseed?

We leave this up to the parents. If your child is old enough to safely handle a rifle by himself/herself and endure a long day of instruction he/she is welcome to attend and encouraged. Be aware that some State laws require that a child be a certain age to handle rifle.

From my experience as a Shoot Boss, the ages under 14 can really vary.  The primary concern is whether they can safely handle a rifle.  Under 14, we usually take a hard look at getting their rifle on some sort of rest, sand bags.  The second concern is whether they will be able to actively participate in the entire day's activities.  we sure don't want them to have a bad time.  Ultimately, it's your call; you've been and know what to expect.

Look forward to seeing you on the line.

Floyd

Quote from: Bruce on February 12, 2014, 11:03:51 AM
Hi Floyd.  Another question for you.  I am hoping that my niece will join me. She is 12 and has been around firearms, but not shot that much. Being new to Texas, can you confirm that she is of legal age to attend the event as long as I have (written?) permission from one of her parents?

scuzzy

Quote from: Bruce on February 12, 2014, 11:03:51 AM

You'll need to download a liability waiver and have your nieces parents fill it out before coming to the event:

http://appleseedinfo.org/pdf/Final%20-%20Liability%20Waiver%20-%20Model%20Release%20-%20Photography%20Release%20form.pdf

Bruce

Thank you both and thanks for the waiver link.