News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Okay, Arizona! Let's get us a site for an April 19th Appleseed!

Started by AZRedhawk44, September 23, 2008, 06:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZRedhawk44

Or... howabout 2 sites? :o

Tucson?  Are you asleep at the wheel down there?

Flagstaff!  Get with the program!

(If I hear voices from either direction, I'll do my darndest to help anyone put a shoot together, but I need SOMETHING resembling enthusiasm to initiate it!)

I think we can probably get back up to Payson for an April 19th shoot.  This September shoot was a complete success.  And there's always the Tonopah range that we used last year.

Rumor has it the "Buckeye" Range is gonna be re-opened soon as the "Jim Foss Range" or something similar.  Just got an NRA-ILA email regarding that.  We could get a date there if it opens soon.

Potroast!  Rumpshot!  Can you guys get us some national forest in the Prescott area?

Guys, I want 2 AZ shoots for April 19th this year.  I'll set one of 'em up and help set up the other, but we need to have some "strategery" with where we host 'em.

Scout

I asked the guy at Payson, back in august, to look at the April 19th 2009 date and to keep it for us if he could. You might want to ask him if it is still available. I bet with one APpleseed in the bag there and a good promo from the Appleseed crew and the Tonto Rim Sports Club, you guys could pull a nice crowd.

The PR guy from Tonto said they had a really good PR Team, I didn't hear about any PR from them for the last shoot, but maybe there was some. However, I bet they are like anyone else and if we do not ride them for PR, they forget.

ANything I can do to help set one up or coordinate them, let me know, and let me know the locations you do get as they come online so I can be adding them to my list. Thanks Arizona!!!!
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

MOGromit

Redhawk or Scout,

What's the contact info for the person we dealt with at the Payson range?  Phone/email/mailing address?

I'd like to get a thank you in the mail/electronic ether this week.

Thanks,
Gromit

AZRedhawk44

Gromit:  I'll get that for you later tonite.  It's at home.

I have emailed Gunsite's coordinator regarding April 19th.  Their schedule is empty for that weekend and they are perfectly positioned between Flagstaff, Kingman and Prescott.  They'd make a great northern range.

If we can get them, I'd like to see us get a southern range on-board too.  Tucson or Yuma, probably.

Otherwise, let's go with an east-west approach of Payson and Tonopah.

Is two ambitious enough, or do we want to go for three?  I think 2 is plenty to tackle for one weekend, myself.  We can try three in 2010 if two works good this year.

Potroast

Gunsite is in Paulden-     kind of out in the middle of "nowhere" and a bit hard to find, but it is such a cool location. And Paulden is 25 miles north of Prescott, where all of the good restaurants and accomodations are going to be. If Gunsight will host the AS then Prescott would be the place to stay.

The Prescott Sportsmans Club range is small- doubt they could accomodate an AS event.

I don't think that Flagstaff has a range right now, as the one that they had was on Nat'l Forest land and they lost it. Same with Tucson, but I think there is a range in Sierra Vista, but I don't have any info about it.
"The garbage heap of history is a crowded place" Gen Charles Cornwallis

AZRedhawk44

I got a response back from Gunsite.  They're a no-go.

I'll see what I can find elsewhere in Northern AZ.  I'd like to start getting us a presence up there.

AZRedhawk44

Okay, for northern AZ we have as next options:
----------
Page (wayyy north)
Kingman (wayyy northwest near Laughlin, NV)
Holbrook (about 60 miles northeast of Payson)
Wickenberg (about 40 miles northwest of Phoenix)
Payson (already established as Appleseed-able)

Wasn't Bravo here looking at a Page shoot for us at some point?

Potroast

Greetings, All.

Here is the link to the Arizona State Rifle and Pistol Association (I'm a member). They list every shooting range in the state, including some of the indoors ones:

http://www.asrpa.com/html/az_ranges.html

Here is a link to a semi-private range in the Prescott area (15 miles south of Prescott near Willhoit) that may be available to "rent" for Appleseed events:

http://www.yavapairecreationleague.org/

They actually have a copy of their rental agreement posted on the site, and lots of photos, too. The range is at about 5,200 ft. elevation, not too hot in the summer (but still very dry, warm). Food for thought.

Potroast

Greetings.

I'm sorry to have to report that the range managed by the Yavapai Recreation League 14 miles south of Prescott will not be working out. Part of the rental agreement is a user fee of $15.00 per day per participant, regardless of status or age group. Too bad.

New American

Kingman I have spoken with the Sportsman Club Shooting range.
They like the idea. Somebody from the board of director will contact AZgromit this week so you can decide the date.
We already have at least 20 people committed to attend.
ciao
Luca