News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gunsmith Needed For .22 recrowning

Started by NsMi, January 22, 2014, 04:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NsMi

I have a used Marlin 880 SQ .22 that looks like it had a bad recrown done on it.

Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in SE Mich. that can recrown this?

Thanks

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
Samuel Adams

douglas34474

You can clean that up yourself if you are handy. Take a brass, round head machine screw that will fit the end of the bore. I would start with a #10 or #12 screw. Chuck it up in a drill motor and use valve lapping compound from your friendly local auto parts store to lap the edges of the bore. Rotate the drill motor as you run the motor and work slow as you go.

yellowhousejake

Have you shot it? The crown below was found after removing a muzzle protector from a 10-22, thousands of rounds as a loaner LTR. It still shot 2 MOA groups.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

NsMi

Thanks all,

After about 300 rounds by me it shoots OK but not where it should, inconsistent.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
Samuel Adams

stoneknives

Quote from: douglas34474 on January 22, 2014, 10:19:59 PM
You can clean that up yourself if you are handy. Take a brass, round head machine screw that will fit the end of the bore. I would start with a #10 or #12 screw. Chuck it up in a drill motor and use valve lapping compound from your friendly local auto parts store to lap the edges of the bore. Rotate the drill motor as you run the motor and work slow as you go.

I agree, that looks like it could be cleaned up not to hard. Go easy and work slow. Worst case you have to take it to a 'smith and have it crowned. (But you were thinking about doing that anyway) Best case you learn a new skill, make your rifle shoot better and you save a C-note.
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry