News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

KD round count?

Started by Moylan, January 20, 2014, 05:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moylan

Greetings,

I'm trying to get my ammo budget set up, and I have a little problem.  I'm planning to come to the KD shoot in June (and hopefully November, too), but I don't know how many rounds I should expect to fire.  I've done a little googling and found an estimate of 300-350 for the KD shoot next month in Oregon.  Does that sound about right for the shoots here, too?  Thanks!
The chief mark of the Declaration of Independence is the theory of equality.  It is the pure classic conception that no man must aspire to be anything more than a citizen, and that no man should endure to be anything less. 

--GK Chesterton

I believe in liberty very much as Jefferson did, allowing for the fact that a hundred years of history and experience have taught me to believe a little more than he did in original sin.

--also GK Chesterton

Pain Killer

That would be a good estimate.
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

Fred

Hmmm, with ammo still scarce, and running over half-a-buck a round, I'd think those running KD could keep the round count down below 100...assuming it's a one-day KD.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Pain Killer

"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

ItsanSKS

As with any Appleseed event, the number of rounds fired during the course of a Known Distance Clinic depends on a number of different variables, many of which the student has very control over, such as distances available, # of sighter groups fired at each distance, and # of KD-AQT's shot.

That said, just like at a standard event, the shooter ultimately determines how many rounds they fire.  Already have good data for your 100 yd zero?  Forego the sighter groups at that distance.
Don't have good data for 400yds, but don't have a ton of ammo either? Fire 3 round sighter groups instead of five.

And probably the most important advice, which will undoubtedly save you aggravation and ammo:
DRY FIRE YOUR RIFLE BEFORE THE EVENT. Use a snap-cap if you must, just do it.
Practice getting into the appropriate firing positions; practice inserting your magazines and removing them. 

Do not let your KD event be the first time you and your center fire rifle become acquainted! 

You should KNOW how the sights adjust, how to establish a proper position with it, and how to change mags fluidly.   KD events aren't for learning these things- they are for putting your dry-fire practice to the test, and that test is the Known Distance Army Qualification Test.
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Moylan

Thanks, all.  I'll just plan on 350 per event, to be safe.  And I'll be sure to get to know my rifle as well as I can before I show up. 
The chief mark of the Declaration of Independence is the theory of equality.  It is the pure classic conception that no man must aspire to be anything more than a citizen, and that no man should endure to be anything less. 

--GK Chesterton

I believe in liberty very much as Jefferson did, allowing for the fact that a hundred years of history and experience have taught me to believe a little more than he did in original sin.

--also GK Chesterton