News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New Rifleman Patch Size

Started by Bazooka Man, January 06, 2014, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka Man

Hopefully, someone can pass this request on to the person to whom it needs to go to.

I think the Rifleman's Patch is a great reward for excellent shooting.  I would like to see it made into a 2 by 3 inch velcro patch that would allow it to be attached to a cap that is designed to accept the many common 2 by 3 inch patches.  I believe everyone who has earned their patch would love to display it on their cap. 

Thanks for all the hard work that the volunteers do for Appleseed.
June 15/16 2013 Rifleman (Charlotte, NC)
Feb. 7/8 2015 Rifleman (Boone, NC) (Winterseed)
April 18/19 2015 Rifleman (Ramseur, NC)
March, 2017 RBC Rifleman and KD Qualified
(Ramseur, NC) Took a Blue Hat.
April 22/23, 2017 Rifleman Requal (243)
Ramseur, NC
January 20/21, 2018 Rifleman Requal (244) Ramseur, NC
May 4/5, 2019 Rifleman Requal (249)
Ramseur, NC
May 24/25, 2019 KD Requal
Ramseur, NC
May 14, 2020 RBC Ramseur, NC Pistoleer™ Patch (220)

jmdavis

You can glue velcro to the back. That doesn't solve your size issue. But then again, why be like everyone else?
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Trisha

I don't wear hats unless I have to so I put my patch right on my shooting jacket. A perfect place for it!

Bazooka Man

I don't wear a shooting jacket.  Hats/caps/visors...one of which is always required in my classes.  Those who don't wear one while shooting have never had a hot piece of brass get between their eye and safety glasses.  Brims help deflect the brass.
Ramseur, NC
Ramseur, NC
Ramseur, NC

GoldFish

ASMS, I like the idea because I too would like to put a little smaller patch on a hat; quite honestly though, I do not think that Appleseed has any plans on making an additional Rifleman patch size.
However, I have seen the current sized patches put onto hats with velcro and they look pretty snazzy.  Different and maybe a little oversized, yes, but classy and awesome nonetheless.

"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Trisha

Maybe...if it's made, it could be one that is bought after you receive the original one.

GoldFish

Quote from: Trisha on January 06, 2014, 10:48:50 PM
Maybe...if it's made, it could be one that is bought after you receive the original one.

True...
Good point.
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Twineagles

Or a rifleman hat with it embroidered on it!
Every time I teach a class, I discover I don�t know something - Clint Smith

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. � John Wayne

Bazooka Man

'Maybe...if it's made, it could be one that is bought after you receive the original one. "

I like that idea.  Now, who can get it done?
Ramseur, NC
Ramseur, NC
Ramseur, NC

Laredo

Quote from: Twineagles on January 06, 2014, 11:03:33 PM

I like that idea.  I would stand inline to buy that! 
April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd
Sept     7-8, 2013 - 4th - Rifleman!!

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being â€" food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That's to adventure on life itself, one's vacation from humble toil having commenced." -Townsend Whelen

Bazooka Man

Quote from: Twineagles on January 06, 2014, 11:03:33 PM

I like the embroidered idea too.  Who can get that done?
Ramseur, NC
Ramseur, NC
Ramseur, NC

SPQR

Sounds like you are volunteering
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Laredo

Funny...  I actually know a guy that does this.  He is a navy vet that does a lot of custom hats for all branches of the military and some sports teams.

I will take my patch to him and see what he suggests....

...stand by...
April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being â€" food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That's to adventure on life itself, one's vacation from humble toil having commenced." -Townsend Whelen

jmdavis

First, talk to Lawrence. Having gone down the design, produce road, his help will save much time. Custom embroidered hats are easy, give the art to the embroiderer, they will scan it and then it can be done.

I still personally lean toward gluing on velcro to the one that you have, but then again, I never put mine on a shooting jacket or anything else. It, my instructor, shootboss, bootcamp, April 19th, RWVA and rifleman tabs are in an envelope in the desk.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Nero

Quote from: jmdavis on January 06, 2014, 11:22:21 PM
First, talk to Lawrence. Having gone down the design, produce road, his help will save much time. Custom embroidered hats are easy, give the art to the embroiderer, they will scan it and then it can be done.

+1 That.  If there's enough demand for either the small patch or a hat, it might be something to get into the Appleseed Store.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

azmule

In the meantime, the already available Rifleman pin looks good on a hat.
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

Niskibum

I do like the idea of having the Velcro already on the patch. Glue doesn't hold if you are taking the patch on and off, which is the idea of Velcro, and the borders of the current patch are so small that they are difficult to sew, especially the Winterseed patch.  Having a Velcro patch available in the store for a little extra would work.

The current size of the patch is a standard that fits the shoulder patch spots on jackets, it's that size for a reason.

Pain Killer

I sent this Thread to Lawrence. I would purchase the smaller patch with velcro for a hat.

PK
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

Bazooka Man

Thanks PK for forwarding this.  I really think it would be a very popular item.  Maybe the cap either embroidered or with the velcro for the velcro patch can be a reality along with the velcro patch.  I believe it would greatly increase sales for the store.

Thanks for all your hard work.
Ramseur, NC
Ramseur, NC
Ramseur, NC

Lawrence

To All,

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. The store will be producing a couple of prototype Rifleman hats in early February (OD & Tan). Upon approval, they'll be added to the Home Range Store sometime next month.

The velcro patch is under research regarding price, size and source.

Thanks again for your suggestions!
Lawrence

stoneknives

"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

Bazooka Man

Thanks Lawrence for following up on this.  I really believe the velcro patch will be a hot item as there are a number of online companies that offer caps that take the 2x3 velcro patches.
Ramseur, NC
Ramseur, NC
Ramseur, NC

DEH

-Appleseed: '08-IBC, '09-Red Hat, '09-FT Stewart, '10-RBC, '14, '15, '22 KD
-I.C.E '11 Combat Focus Shooting.
-Tactical Response. '09-'12
-Fighting Rifle/Pistol, Immediate Action Medical, Way of the Rifle
-MTN Guerrilla-2013/Irreg Warfare
-Max Velocity Tactical. 2013-2022. RIFLEMAN,TEAM COYOTE
 CRCDx2,Combat Patrol, Rifleman Challenge,CQB,CTT,FOFx2. DCHx2.
-2Cor10:4-5. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, & bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

Niskibum

Regarding source, I would gladly pay extra for one with a "Made in USA" sticker on it.

Dude

and don't forget copyright/trademark rules. just make sure it's OK with the big cheeses.
Strength and honor

Semper SOM/SOM

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. --Thomas Jefferson

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. --Thomas Jefferson

Pain Killer

Lawrence is the "Big Cheese" for such a project. He will research this and come up with the best possible solution for us and for the RWVA.
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

AFTERMATH

Quote from: Aim Small Hit Small on January 28, 2014, 06:47:56 PM
Thanks Lawrence for following up on this.  I really believe the velcro patch will be a hot item as there are a number of online companies that offer caps that take the 2x3 velcro patches.

That and it doesn't limit one to hats, either.
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Laredo

Well, I guess I should check the forum more often.  I ran with it and had some prototypes made.  They look great. 

Since the store is already having some made I will not post the pics.

Basically I had the hat embroidered with a full sized version of the patch.  Black on tan hat.  Unstructured top.  Looks fantastic.

I will cease and desist on this project till I hear from Lawrence. 

My friend that does these also gave me one of the velcro hats.  See pic.  Its a nice hat.  9.99 retail.  I am sure I can get it for less.  Just to give you an idea of whats out there for the velcro options...
April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd

Sly223

You Just showed up and you are going to change our Patch to fit you Hat?!? Who are you????? :slap:
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

Pain Killer

Sounds like a concerned consumer to me. @)