News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Instructor Development

Started by NavyIrish, December 31, 2013, 04:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NavyIrish

Maryland Instructors,

Below my signature I've attempted to quote a topic from JMDavis from the Virginia board.  The website link is to the CMP summer newsletter and on pages 4-9 is an article from Gary Anderson on things he wished he would have learned early in his shooting career.  Posting it here, as I think I may be the only one who also scans the Virginia board.  Link: http://www.odcmp.com/Comm/OTM/13/OTM_Summer2013.pdf

All credit goes to JMDavis.

Happy New Year,
Navy Irish
===================

Quote from: jmdavis on September 11, 2013, 04:47:51 PM
Do you know who Gary Anderson is? You probably should

He is an US, Pan-American, Olympic and World Champion shooter in small bore, Full bore and High power, and he is the Director of Civilian Marksmanship, Emeritus of CMP. In other words he really is a man who "knows well what he is about. "
http://www.odcmp.com/comm/Director.htm

Read pages 4-9 of the cmp newletter below for his 10 things he wishes he had learned early in his shooting career.

http://www.odcmp.com/Comm/OTM/13/OTM_Summer2013.pdf

Good luck.
"The man who loves his country on its own account, and not merely for its trappings of interest or power, can never be divorced for
it, can never refuse to come forward when he finds that she is engaged in dangers which he has the means of warding off." --Thomas Jefferson to Elbridge Gerry, 1797.

Bluesteel

I just finished reading Gary Anderson's small book "Marksmanship" published back in '72 by the NRA.  He was 2 time Olympic gold medalist in 300M rifle.  Pulled a few nuggets from the book.  Very much in line with what we teach, with some position variations.

BeSwift

I've been fortunate enough to attend CMP training with Gary Anderson and Appleseed training with JM Davis. When either of them say something or recommend you check something out about shooting, it is sound advice. If you ever have a chance to shoot, train or work with either of em... DO IT..  Good catch NavyIrish and thanks for sharing with the MD board...  BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

NavyIrish

Fellow Maryland Instructors,

As we've talked about KD & Long Distance shoots, especially since our success as Fort Meade-- thought this recent link providing more guidance on KD & LD AS events was appropriate as we plan Maryland events.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=34101.msg252309#msg252309

[This link may only be available to those with access to the SB Board-- my apologies if I misguided you needlessly.]
"The man who loves his country on its own account, and not merely for its trappings of interest or power, can never be divorced for
it, can never refuse to come forward when he finds that she is engaged in dangers which he has the means of warding off." --Thomas Jefferson to Elbridge Gerry, 1797.

Eroyle

NavyIrish, can not access link to the information referenced.
But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.  John Adams

Nero

Quote from: NavyIrish on February 23, 2014, 08:31:44 PM
Fellow Maryland Instructors,

As we've talked about KD & Long Distance shoots, especially since our success as Fort Meade-- thought this recent link providing more guidance on KD & LD AS events was appropriate as we plan event.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=34101.msg252309#msg252309

That's a bit obsolete (notice the posting date).  We simplified things for 2014:

If you are guaranteeing that shooters will be going for score (KD AQT) at 100 yards or more, and that's the main theme of the event, it's a KD event.  KD events have their own fee schedule - basically it's a "one day upgrade" on the price table: A one-day KD is priced as a two-day regular Appleseed, a two-day KD as a three-day event.  Heritage is to be taught at a KD event.  Exactly what is shoot boss discretion, but suggested is the 1776 stories.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

NavyIrish

Nero-- Great, thanks for the update!