News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

5th Grade in California is a Libertyseed opportunity

Started by caseten, September 23, 2013, 12:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caseten

* I hope this information isn't redundant, as I don't read the boards that often *

My son is a 5th grader this year in California, and the California social studies program for 5th graders covers American history, in particular the following topics:

• The First Americans
  • Age of Exploration
  • The Fight for a Continent
  • Life in the Colonies
  • Causes of the Revolution
  • The Revolutionary War
  • Forming a New Nation
  • A Nation Moves West
  • States and Capitals

So, I volunteered to spend one morning at his school the week of April 14-18th speaking for 3 hours to three different groups of 5th graders about April 19th 1775.

If you have a 5th grader or know a 5th grade teacher in California, or are involved in your local elementary school,  this is a great opportunity to work on one of the other 28th days of the month when you aren't doing Appleseed and reach a wider audience. 

The last few shoots I've done we have only had around 10 people each.  In April 2014, I'll have the opportunity to reach 60-75 students and teachers, which is the same as 7 months of Appleseeds if I only did one shoot per month at the current attendance rates.

Please post on this thread if you arrange a Libertyseed at your local elementary school talking to some 5th graders the week of April 19th, 2014.   Let us know how many kids you reached, during that week.

Godspeed.
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."  An excerpt from The Peloponnesian War, by Thucydides

"Necessity is the plea for ever infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." - William Pitt, 1783

"... in other words, whether the parliament can legally take money out of our pockets, without our consent. If they can, our boasted liberty is but "Vox et praeterea nihil." A sound and nothing else." - John Dickinson [Continental Congressman from Pennsylvania, Signer of the Constitution], Letters from a Farmer in Pennsylvania to the Inhabitants of the British Colonies - Letter II

George Hacker

caseten,

You rock, my friend.  Well played... well played indeed. O0

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Fred

We (myself and our fellow California ITs) really shouldn't let this go by without a BIG O0 to Mike for seizing this opportunity and making it happen!

A great way to reach a bunch of young minds in a short period of time, and possibly implant some long-lasting seeds.

Maybe in 6-8 years we'll see some of them on the AS firing lines in SoCal.

All of us would be well-advised to sit up and grab any opportunity like this which comes along.

The ship is sinking fast. But we can save it. If we seize opportunities like this one. O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Pain Killer

Caseten,

Great job making that happen!  O0 The Libertyseed Forum has some resources and advice you might find helpful. If you would you or anyone else would like access to this forum, please PM me with your email address.

PK
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison