News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

2014 Schedule?

Started by burkdog, December 08, 2013, 11:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

burkdog

I see only one shoot scheduled for all of Texas.

I am hoping there will be more shoots in 2014.  I was hoping to make plans a few months ahead of time.

Can anyone confirm that there will be more Appleseed shoots scheduled for 2014, and if so, will we have to wait until January 1st to see the 2014 schedule?

Thanks,
Greg Burkhead

floydf

Greg,

We should have the DFW shoots on the schedule this week.

Floyd
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

burkdog

...ok.  I'll keep checking.  Looking forward to another shoot hopefully some time in the next month or two.  Much thanks.

scuzzy

Quote from: floydf on December 08, 2013, 11:50:52 AM
Greg,

Floyd

Good deal - if you haven't already see my shoot schedule howto:

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=38464.0

And other Texas instructors - it's pretty easy to get your events scheduled - and I'm open for business. All it takes is a PM.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

PaleRider

Scuzzy, we newbies can't see that post :).
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him." Rev 6:8

scuzzy

Quote from: PaleRider on December 13, 2013, 12:29:55 PM
Scuzzy, we newbies can't see that post :) .

Yeah - that's for the guys that setup the Appleseed schedule. It would just be boring for anybody else.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Roger Filer

Quote from: floydf on December 08, 2013, 11:50:52 AM
Greg,

Floyd

Why are they all one day instead of two?

floydf

Because of range scheduling and capability issues, and a high percentage of our shooters sign up for Saturday only, or show up for Sunday only.

The range at Big Boar can accommodate distance, so the 2nd day events there will allow shooters to shoot out to 300 yds in the afternoon. 
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Roger Filer

cyphertext

If all the shoots are day two, how does one learn the basics taught from day one?  It appears that the Dallas shoots are all Day 2.  I see day one in Ft. Worth... but then breaking it up requires two weekends for schedules to match plus additional costs.

I don't see this as a good direction for the program.

floydf

Hello,

We have two really different ranges.  Quail Creek is just north of the Texas Motor Speedway, is 25yd only, but does (for 2014) allow center-fire.  The Appleseed program of instruction teaches the fundamentals of marksmanship first at 25yds, primarily for efficiency: it takes a LOT less time to walk down 25 yds to let your targets tell you how well you are learning the fundamentals than it does to walk 100, 200 or more yards.

The Big Boar range (Dallas) is just east of Denton, and has the ability to shoot all the way out to 400, so on the Day 2, we spend the morning brushing up on the fundamentals at 25, do some advance drills, and then in the afternoon shoot some AQTs at actual distance.  And that is what being a Rifleman is really all about, is Americans being able to effectively use their rifles to defend themselves, families, homes, communities and countries out to a quarter mile.

The two ranges are not that far apart.  I labeled one Fort Worth and the other Dallas to give folks in the metroplex some idea of the relative location, and the fact that they are two different ranges.  I live in Garland, and it takes me 45 minutes to drive to the Dallas range, and 50 minutes to drive to the Forth Worth range.

You may be right: this might not be the best way to arrange things.  We only scheduled out through May, to give us the chance to make any necessary corrections for the schedule through the rest of the year.

Quote from: cyphertext on February 21, 2014, 09:32:03 AM
If all the shoots are day two, how does one learn the basics taught from day one?  It appears that the Dallas shoots are all Day 2.  I see day one in Ft. Worth... but then breaking it up requires two weekends for schedules to match plus additional costs.

I don't see this as a good direction for the program.