News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Movie Review

Started by ToneDef, December 07, 2013, 06:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToneDef

I stumbled upon a movie inn Netflix today that tells a fictional story set in the context of the battles off Lexington & Concord. The name of the film is April Morning. The film does skip over a few finer details, and a number of mistakes, but it gets most of the major points right and tells the story from the perspective of a young man from Lexington. It's made-for-TV, so the acting it's a bit weak but it puts a very human face on the battle that day. 3 out of 4 stars from me.
"Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing." - Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

"There's the country of America, which you have to defend, but there's also the IDEA of America. America is more than just a country, it's an idea. An idea that's supposed to be contagious." - Bono

Palatka ten twelve "Smoakin' IBC"

nyrasgt

Heard of same some years back - based on novel of Howard Last (may have author's name wrong - or not).  Acquired VHS copy - some of us still use them - like 8 track tapes -and added same to Appleseed library table display of books.
   Details somewhat thin and shaky, but not unexpected considering the source - adolescent participant whose father(Tommy Lee Jones) is killed in first volley -  triggered by Rip Torn's colonial sniper shot (Loyalist folks had tuned Torn up earlier in film, catching him smuggling arms for the minute men)...plus gratuitous girl friend/subplot of said youngster...
   Weak/non-existent once British troops start running...still, nothing else close on market...yet.
Excelsior,
madMark/nyrasgt
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

jmdavis

It's available online on Netflix and predates Fischer by a number of years. All in all I considered it a good rendition.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Prof. C.J.

Nyrasgt -- You were off by just one letter on the author of the book -- it's Howard Fast.

The book is definitely geared toward a "young adult" audience.  It's fairly short for a novel.  I read it back in 6th or 7th grade (along with Johnny Tremain, another excellent Revolutionary historical novel for youngsters) and loved it.  I haven't read it since, so I'm sure now my fact-checking spidey sense would at least partially ruin it, but I still think April Morning & Johnny Tremain are some of the best "gateway drug books" to get younger people (who would struggle with something like Fischer) interested in and inspired by our Revolutionary heritage.
"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than to lie. I believe
that it is better to be free than to be a slave. And I believe that
it is better to know than to be ignorant." – H.L. Mencken

TomM1Thumb

I have seen April Morning twice, enjoyed it both times. Having the Late Great Robert Urich as one of the Starring Actors is a Plus. Interesting take on Who may have fired the First Shot on Lexington Green, Howard Fast may want to come to an Appleseed Event to get Our slant on this event.

Tom
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Nero

Quote from: TomM1Thumb on December 08, 2013, 02:29:56 PM
I have seen April Morning twice, enjoyed it both times. Having the Late Great Robert Urich as one of the Starring Actors is a Plus. Interesting take on Who may have fired the First Shot on Lexington Green, Howard Fast may want to come to an Appleseed Event to get Our slant on this event.

Tom

I'm afraid that he'll have to attend in spirit.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass