News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Puryear, TN

Started by dond, September 15, 2008, 12:12:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

The first day was beautiful. Blue skies, pleasant temperature, patriotic shooters, and it produced two riflemen. The second day was visited by the remnants of Ike. Target backers were wet and blown away and the target stands needed extra weights to hold them down. But it was cool and pleasant with gray skies and WIND. Afterward we discovered that many power outages had occurred, trees were blown down, roofs had been damaged , included ours. Several schools won't be in session tomorrow in the area. But the shooters didn't know all that yet. They were determined to do well and persevered to produce seven more riflepersons. This included a young lady who had only shot a rifle once before. There is a great deal to be said about an open mind and no bad habits to break! There were about 30 shooters present, so that's a pretty good percentage of riflemen. George has all the numbers and statistics, but he also has a power outage at home. Therefore, I am entering this brief report while he recovers from this disadvantage.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Spatulaman

Hey Don, good show. Hope you kept up the Puryear tradition of the "21-second Puryear minute", and thus retained your "Dirtbag" title. ::)

I had hoped to be there, but my daughter had surgery scheduled for Friday. Wouldn't you know it, the Doc changed the date to next week. Sigh.

At least you didn't have a long and expensive road trip for this one!

Big Papa

Great weekend!!
Many thanks to George, Dond and Hawkhavn for a great shoot. The weather was rough Sunday, but could have been worse. We all managed. This was the best group of Appleseeders I've ever been around. (Never seen a bad one)
Congratulations Kim! She gets a new rifle!
There must be a story behind the "21 second Puryear minute". I thought some of them seemed short! ;)
Patch or no patch, you still have to cook! - Big Mama

colycat

You all are really lucky to have Don and Sarah nearby.  He is just the greatest teacher!

There is no such thing as a bad Appleseed, Is there?

CC
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

DARKHORSE6

This event was a great success! Except for the fact that Fred only sent 6 Rifleman patches to the event! Only 6 patches to an event in Tennessee, "The patron state of shootin stuff"! Maybe someday he will learn!LOL This was my second Appleseed and my second time making Rifleman! The instruction was outstanding! I may be a bit biased though as George is my father and I do get extra private lessons with him when ever I want them! If more shooters would follow the information givin at appleseed shoots, they would all be more accurate shooters, regardless of the shooting discipline they normally participate in.

I will definitely be back again for another refresher!

Darkhorse6

Fred

Tennessee needs more "Rifleman" badges? That's good news!

And, while we're at it, let's note that Tennesse, the "Volunteer State", needs a few more volunteers! Maybe even, a LOT more!

Let's get working on this problem - you can't let Kentucky show you up! Right?
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

slim

Quote from: DARKHORSE6 on September 15, 2008, 12:21:14 PM
I will definitely be back again for another refresher!

How about an Orange Hat at that next one?

dond

Actually, Fred, most of us Appleseeders at Puryear are from Kentucky. Including George, Twoglock,  Darkhorse 6, and myself.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

cannonman61

Sounds like a great time in the Blue Grass State.

With George there I am sure it was a great, well run Appleseed. Good Job!

Since I worked with George at the Minerva shoot last June, I think it only fair to invite the Bluegrass contingent down to the Hinesville shoot next mont. That is, if you're noy doing anything else Appleseed related.  ;D

Savannah is a nice place for the wives to visit while we have a nice shoot, or bring them to the 18th century dinner on the Saturday night. Either way you win!

CM
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Fred

QuoteActually, Fred, most of us Appleseeders at Puryear are from Kentucky. Including George, Twoglock,  Darkhorse 6, and myself.

Gosh, will the last RWVA instructor leaving Puryear, heading back to KY, please turn out the [Tennessee] lights? ;D ;D ;D
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

Big Papa

Quote from: dond on September 15, 2008, 10:14:44 PM
Actually, Fred, most of us Appleseeders at Puryear are from Kentucky. Including George, Twoglock,  Darkhorse 6, and myself.

Dond, don't count out that Anderson clan yet! We ain't done yet! :)

Spatulaman

Quote from: Big Papa on September 15, 2008, 12:32:31 AM
Great weekend!!
Many thanks to George, Dond and Hawkhavn for a great shoot. The weather was rough Sunday, but could have been worse. We all managed. This was the best group of Appleseeders I've ever been around. (Never seen a bad one)
Congratulations Kim! She gets a new rifle!
There must be a story behind the "21 second Puryear minute". I thought some of them seemed short! ;)

You'll find the answer in DragonWood's AAR from the Puryear 09/07 Appleseed....

funfaler

Quote from: Big Papa on September 15, 2008, 11:57:38 PM
Quote from: dond on September 15, 2008, 10:14:44 PM

Dond, don't count out that Anderson clan yet! We ain't done yet! :)

TN has some good folks pulling their weight (and then some), but I have been doing my best to "Co-Op" them into Kentucky....without them knowing of course.

I suspect that the best way to get KY on the Appleseed band wagon is going to "annex" those areas of TN, IN, and OH that are getting active  :o

Unfortunately, dond may be correct in his statement, but KY has mastered the art of squandering their vast Appleseed resources.  Pound for pound, KY is one of the richest Appleseed states in the union, but we have taken to hiding it well  :-[ 

Perhaps some Volunteers from the South can get us to "step on out" a bit more. ;)

So, Big Papa, welcome to Kentucky  :o ;) ;D

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

Spatulaman

<<TN has some good folks pulling their weight (and then some), but I have been doing my best to "Co-Op" them into Kentucky....without them knowing of course.>>

Thanks for the vote of confidence, some of us haven't forgotten why it's known as "The Volunteer State."

James Yeager

Big Papa

James, Thanks for the pics! The M1 shots are awesome.

Funfaler - There are some great guys and gals in KY. I'd be honored to stand beside them any day! Dond, Sarah, George, TwoGlock and Darkhorse6 are among the best.

Fred

OK, any and all RWVA instructors who are viewing the pics - how many errors can you spot?

For each error you can spot, we'll "fine" the State of Tennessee one shekel for dissing the great marksmanship tradition of its favorite son, Davy Crockett... ::)

slim

Those are some really great pics!

We may need to recruit James to attend more shoots but instead of wearing the Orange Hat of an IIT, he may have to wear the old school wide-brimmed brown hat with the big "PRESS" pass sticking out.

Great job! Looking through those pics made me think, "I should've been there!"

jpanderson80

Thanks to the instructors.  It was great.

The Anderson clan is certainly not done yet.  Big Papa is talking about becoming an instructor perhaps.  I do have a question - how many times have spouses both made rifleman the same weekend?  (This coming from the guy whose wife shot a 94 on the Slow Fire Prone stage during one AQT!  She beat me on that one.) 
Tennessee - the patron state of "shootin' stuff"

James Yeager

Quote from: slim on September 16, 2008, 12:36:06 PM
Those are some really great pics!

We may need to recruit James to attend more shoots but instead of wearing the Orange Hat of an IIT, he may have to wear the old school wide-brimmed brown hat with the big "PRESS" pass sticking out.

Great job! Looking through those pics made me think, "I should've been there!"

Thanks for the offer (really) but I have my own classes to tend to at http://www.TacticalResponse.com doing crazy stuff like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DItNiAo9Uc

George

Sorry for not being able to post any sooner than this.  I came home from the Puryear, TN AS on Sunday to no electricity at our house and a yard full of downed tree branches.  Thankfully, there were no trees down, at least, in our yard.  There were trees down everywhere else.  Ike struck quite a "blow" here in Western Kentucky.  We finally got our power back on last night (Wednesday) at 6:30 PM.  We finally got our Internet service restored at around 1:00 PM today.

Thanks to dond for getting an After Action Report posted.  Its much appreciated.

We had a total of 27 shooters on Saturday and 21 shooters on Sunday.  As dond mentioned in his post, Saturday was beautiful.  We had 2 shooters make Rifleman and a number of shooters were "knocking at door". 

Then Sunday, the remnants of Ike payed us a visit.   As dond mentioned, our target stands were tipped over and our target backers were blown all over the Henry County Gun Club when we got to the Club on Sunday morning.  dond, hawkhavn and I got things set back up and cleaned up and to our surprise, 21 shooters showed up on Sunday despite the wet, WINDY weather.  Seven shooters made Rifleman on Sunday.  Two of those Riflemen on Sunday were women.  Congratulations to all. 

This was one of the best groups of shooters it has ever been my privilege to instruct.

Thanks to twoglock, Darkhorse6 and Jerry Hunt for helping out at the Shoot.  All are members of the Henry County Gun Club,  all have shot Rifleman and all were a big help at the Appleseed.  Thanks for making the Shoot Boss' job a little easier.  They all  should become Instructors, too but that's something that I need to continue to work on.

Thanks to the local First Responders group who provided us with breakfast and lunch both days.  And a special thanks to James Yeager for the great pictures. 

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.

The essance of an adventure is not knowing how its going to turn out.

James Yeager

Quote from: George on September 18, 2008, 05:09:20 PM
And a special thanks to James Yeager for the great pictures. 

My pleasure. Thanks for taking time out of your life to teach a much needed skill.

Scout

What a great job done by all. SEVEN RIFLEMEN!. Wow, out of 27 you had 7 Riflemen. That is a 25%. Maybe we need to find out where you guys are getting your water. ;D

Now I know you have some guys there this weekend who might have been ringers, but that is still a great percentage. Mr. Yeager, I think I have seen your name as an instructor at the school you posted the URL for. So you might have been one of those ringers ;D

If you have a minute sometime, maybe you could post a few words about where APpleseed fits in in your mind with shooters today and the Tactical Shooting movement. As far as how Appleseed could be a stepping stone for people who want to shoot, but do not have the basics, but have a desire to become better shooters and even to continue on and become "tactical" type shooters.
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

George

Quote from: Scout on September 20, 2008, 10:50:58 AM
What a great job done by all. SEVEN RIFLEMEN!. Wow, out of 27 you had 7 Riflemen. That is a 25%. Maybe we need to find out where you guys are getting your water. ;D

Now I know you have some guys there this weekend who might have been ringers, but that is still a great percentage. Mr. Yeager, I think I have seen your name as an instructor at the school you posted the URL for. So you might have been one of those ringers ;D

If you have a minute sometime, maybe you could post a few words about where APpleseed fits in in your mind with shooters today and the Tactical Shooting movement. As far as how Appleseed could be a stepping stone for people who want to shoot, but do not have the basics, but have a desire to become better shooters and even to continue on and become "tactical" type shooters.

It was actually a total of 9 Riflemen for the weekend.  Two on Saturday and SEVEN on Sunday.  It is true that James and one of his instructors were two of the Riflemen on Sunday.  James did it without a sling.

Scout, you might want to check out my Internal After Action Report on this shoot.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.

The essance of an adventure is not knowing how its going to turn out.

TN.RM.214

My 1st A.S. and I was impressed.  This event was as much as I could have hoped.  The instruction was excellent and attendees were as friendly as they get.

I decided to go kind of last minute and had no sleeping arrangement except my truck, when one family shared one of their rooms with me for a comfortable nights sleep.  Thanks Big Papa and Family!!  I also came expecting to score Rifleman before the end, but with my choice of rifle a bolt action M-44, I could not qualify buy the end of day 1.   Again Big Papa helped out with a loan of his Rem. 297 and ammo for my second day!!  Come O.T. on Sunday our last chance at the AQT, I grabbed a Rifleman patch with a score of 214.  I learned a lot about marksmanship and our country's history!

This program has got me looking at this country's future in a more optimistic light.  With people like the Appleseeders around, our liberty and freedoms may still prevail.  I plan to attend more A.S. events in the future, and expect to find many new recruits to come, you may even see me in an orange hat one day.  Thanks to Fred and all who make this happen!

James Yeager

Quote from: TN.RM.214 on September 23, 2008, 04:16:43 PM
I also came expecting to score Rifleman before the end, but with my choice of rifle a bolt action M-44, I could not qualify buy the end of day 1. 

Don't worry. I have two PKMs and we can find a good use for all of your ammo!