News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

***Designated WINTERSEED in NC***

Started by Pain Killer, November 20, 2013, 07:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pain Killer

We have scheduled an Appleseed in the Mountains of Boone, NC for January 25-26, 2014. We did this to give those of us who live in the South, a excellent chance to get one of those coveted Winterseed patches. (At least coveted down here). The Watauga Gun club is an excellent location with great hosts, hot meals, a heated meeting room and KD out to 300 yards. What more could you want from a Winterseed event.

Thanks,
PK
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

fisherdawg

Quote from: Pain Killer on November 20, 2013, 07:57:45 PM
We have scheduled an Appleseed in the Mountains of Boone, NC for January 25-26, 2014. We did this to give those of us who live in the South, a excellent chance to get one of those coveted Winterseed patches. (At least coveted down here). The Watauga Gun club is an excellent location with great hosts, hot meals, a heated meeting room and KD out to 300 yards. What more could you want from a Winterseed event.

Thanks,
PK

Now that's a WinterSeed!
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

hawkeye

It will probably be 80 that day. We have lots of winterseed weather here in the flat lands.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

Pain Killer

Unlikely, Boone's average Winter temperature from December to the end of February is 35 degrees. When we were there in November, it had snowed the weekend before. It's not Alaska, but it will do just nicely for us Southern folk.

However, if you are correct and we get a freaklishly warm day in Boone, our group of Instructors and the friendly people at this club will still put on a very enjoyable Appleseed. Hope to se you there!

PK
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

SteelThunder

Quote from: Pain Killer on November 21, 2013, 06:48:16 AM
Unlikely, Boone's average Winter temperature from December to the end of February is 35 degrees. When we were there in November, it had snowed the weekend before.

PK -- that's shorts and t-shirt weather to us here in the upper Midwest.

If you can feel your toes at a Winterseed...you're doing it wrong.
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Niskibum

It was so cold I had to turn the AC down to it's lowest setting!  :)

SureShotSpartan

If my schedule allows and you guys need the help, I may join the line as a RH.  I'll know more in a few weeks.
Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

2 clicks low

Hot meals?  #)
Heated club house?  #)
Avg. temp of 35?  #)

Just doesn't seem the right Winterseed spirit.

Jerky from back pocket.  >:D
Outhouse with door iced shut.  >:D
Foot of snow.  >:D
High of 5.  >:D

Now that's a Winterseed.  **)
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Pain Killer

Sounds good Spartan, we would appreciate the help!

Thanks,
PK

SteelThunder

Winterseed Michigan style

Winterseed NC style

Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

number6

Hey, I know that dude!     and the three future IITs in that picture

Quote from: SteelThunder on November 21, 2013, 02:25:15 PM
Winterseed Michigan style

Winterseed NC style

number6
You still have a choice. You can still salvage your right to be individuals. Your rights to truth and free thought! Reject this false world of Number Two . . . reject it NOW!!
Number 6, The Prisoner, Episode 11 "A Change of Mind"

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..." � Richard Henry Lee, "Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic"

"Rifles don't read" YellowHouseJake

"Lots of work?  Yup.  You wanna grow?  Suck it up, cupcake." - SteelThunder

X-Wing

Number 6 that's Magnum PI's beach buddy. We ain't no beach like that here, but we do have some nice ones. I will be signing up for this one, just want spend 6 hrs a day to attend going to spend the night somewhere up there. Might even bring the herd(family) with me.

Pain Killer

You Yankees are hilarious! Thanks for all the attention on this. Now let's hear from more instructors that wish to attend and participants that would like to sign up for this.

Thanks,
PK

Adena

Chris or I will work the line. I would much rather work a Winterseed with you instead of an Iceseed!
"Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom." - John Adams

"The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave." - Patrick Henry, Speech in the Virginia Convention, March 23, 1775

jmdavis

Quote from: hawkeye on November 20, 2013, 10:54:48 PM
It will probably be 80 that day. We have lots of winterseed weather here in the flat lands.

Steve our problem is we never thought to ask for a different patch because it was too cold or too hot. My first shoot at Ramseur was 97 with 90% humidity. My first bootcamp had days with lows in the teens and highs in the low 30's, along with rain, sleet and snow. Good days!
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

SureShotSpartan

PK,

Due to scheduling conflicts I'll be unable to attend this event. I'll keep an eye out for future dates at this venue. I would love to bring my family to that area for an event and mini-vacation.

-Spartan
Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

AFTERMATH

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Turtle

what is the actual requirements for an applesed to become a winterseed?   

I know the patch is different when you hit rifleman  but what is the weather requirements??

Pain Killer

It is up to the Shoot Boss for the event. For this event it will be snow or ice on the ground or extreme weather such as a wind chill under 0 degrees.

PK

Niskibum

Doesn't that mean it's up to mother nature? :)

Pain Killer

Pain Killer

There will be a Musket Demonstration by a re-enactor in period dress at this event. Don't miss it!

PK

pans858

Greetings from Boone!
We're looking forward to a great weekend!  (You don't know me, but I'm one of the local range guys here)

The range is in good shape, and the target stands are ready to go.
Be sure to bring a good shooting mat, as the ground is solidly frozen and very HARD right now.  If the temps get above freezing this week, it could be soggy, but it looks like it'll remain cold through the week.  Low's are forecast for single digits mid-week, but should begin warming into the thirties on Saturday.  There's only a dusting of snow on the ground now; more is predicted this week, but I don't expect much.  If you wish to keep up with the forecast, here is the best local resource:  http://www.booneweather.com/Forecast/Boone
If you have any local questions, shoot me an e-mail.

Certainly Teens and Twenties sounds warm to you northerners... but it'll do for us!

Pain Killer

I think a tarp with strong grommets and solid stake would go nicely with the shooting mat. They routinely have strong winds up there. Road conditions are predicted to be great with weather 20-34 degrees, should be real nice

PK

Pain Killer

$$-0 Hey Yankees, here's how we Winterseed in NC

SteelThunder

Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

FiremanBob

You guys in the North need to look at a map. Boone is not Wilmington. It's 3300 feet above sea level, and get real mountain weather. As the guy who watched over the line during lunch, I can garan-darn-tee you it was cold. Saturday started out about 2 degrees and warmed up to a toasty 24 (official, in town - the range is a couple hundred feet higher in elevation) with 30-35 mph winds. Sunday afternoon was a balmy 45 but anyone who qualified Sunday had paid his dues on Saturday.

I never had more fun at any shoot than at this one.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

grunt soldier

I have never seen this before.  thanks for posting it again.   

The event looks like a good winterseed.  congrats to all the folks who braved the weather and came out.  looks like a great range.

Quote from: AFTERMATH on December 04, 2013, 09:16:59 PM
The original WinterSeed Patch.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=19310.msg153547#msg153547

custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

SteelThunder

Quote from: FiremanBob on January 27, 2014, 12:01:02 PM
You guys in the North need to look at a map. Boone is not Wilmington. It's 3300 feet above sea level, and get real mountain weather. As the guy who watched over the line during lunch, I can garan-darn-tee you it was cold. Saturday started out about 2 degrees and warmed up to a toasty 24 (official, in town - the range is a couple hundred feet higher in elevation) with 30-35 mph winds. Sunday afternoon was a balmy 45 but anyone who qualified Sunday had paid his dues on Saturday.

I never had more fun at any shoot than at this one.

Just ribbin' ya.  You guys probably roll your eyes and laugh when it "only" gets 103 deg F and 90% humidity up here in the summer.  Looks like a good event.
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis