News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Cleawater, FL 11/16/17/2013

Started by PHenry, November 19, 2013, 07:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHenry

Wow! The inaugural event at the "WAC" (Wyoming Antelope Club) was nothing short of a full-on success in my never as humble as it orta be opinion. Such a great group of people. I will confess to some apprehension regarding this event. You see, this is my local club and I have tried, on and off, for about six years to get them to host an event. In point of fact, I had accepted defeat until the NRA High Power discipline director, Gary Swaney (fellow in orange WAC RO hat) took up the flag recently. Many thanks to Gary for his tireless efforts and help.  :bow:

I failed to consider the ambient noise level from the "pistol pit" over on the public line, but other than that, I would say that the WAC shown like a jewel as a venue. Covered line, fans and lighting all came in handy at one point or another. I feared parking might be an issue, but it didn't seem too bad. Working to keep all rounds impacting the berm placed an added burden on the shooters - having to move their backers between stages, but even that was taken in stride by the 17 Patriots who came out to honor the traditions of the Founders.

All of the instructors and Gary were in agreement - it's the well-behaved kids that take the events over the top. We had some great ones at the WAC last weekend. There were "Ray Gun" and Bailey, Will and Owen, and also Josh and Emily (barely kids), All were a pleasure to work with and serve to offer hope that the next generation might be smart enough and strong enough to correct the errors of our own generation. Lord willin.  :sos:

It's been some time since I have had my hand shaken so many times at the end of an event and that means the world to me - God bless each of you who came out. I think I get at least as much out of these events as the shooters do, as they keep me sane and hopeful for our future (and away from the TV).

We had a few come so close to making score and many others scored very well. Dry-fire practice at home until your next event and you'll be there. Sly223 is working Myakka in December and he'd love to see you. Alkeford and I are threatening to show up as shooters one day and we'd love to see all ya'll agin. I'd let anyone from Clearwater shoot "Sally" if they come to Myakka!  :---  She's mighty sweet!

Please let us know what we did right, what we did wrong and what we might do better. These events are all about you, the shooters, and we need to hear from you in order to improve. Please accept my thanks for your attendance, strength and persistence. Help us get the word out and we'll fill the line at the WAC over and over again if they let us come back. Gary said he's behind us - Lord willin, we'll get more events on the calender soon. Huzaaaah!

In Liberty,
PHenry
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

NHale

Rifleman's Cadence In Prone - Project Appleseed

http://youtu.be/47phtu2PLvw

Appleseed: Because you never know when the British will come looking to collect back taxes...

PHenry

Darn smart phones! So much easier to hold an inflated opinion of myself in absence of video evidence to the contrary.  :wb:

Alkeford - did u put NHale up to this?  &)
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

goose

It's always a pleasure to see you work, Sir.

There are Men among us who know very, very well what they are about.

-goose
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken

gswaney

Hello everyone. I am a new member of the forum. I am Gary Swaney from the Wyoming Antelope club in Pinellas Park, Fl where I am presently the high power rifle competition director and member of the BOD's.

Over the last few years PHenry and I had many discussions regarding scheduling an event at our club. Due to the many safety factors involved with the location of our range the main concern was how the club could be assured with new shooters that we would not have any incidences that might jeopardize our existence.  Having our firing direction in line with the main runway at an international airport definitely raises concerns.

After many conversations PHenry convinced me how well the range officers keep a handle on the events. The high power discipline at the club scheduled our first event Dec 16-17 on the high power competition range.
PHenry, along with some of the high power competition shooters prepared the range for the event. As stated above it took some work and adjustments to keep the impact area where it needed to be but by the end of the event we had it all figured out.

What I experienced was a very memorable weekend. The Appleseed range officers were as good as, and probably safer than, any I have ever seen. A great bunch of guys! Safety was never in question.  I also feel that I have a lasting friendship with every one of the RSO's after only two days.

The shooters that showed up were all fantastic individuals. Real people. Not "Rambo" types that I expected but families, moms, dads and unbelievably well behaved kids.

It is hard to express the feelings I have after watching the event, meeting the people and making lasting friendships. It was well run and very educational. I look forward to having more of these events.
"I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

PHenry

For thems that don't know Gary (or didn't until the event), he's not just the HP director, but also a very accomplished marksman in his own right. This is a man who eats out the X ring at 100 yards - about 1/2" center of target. OK - pop quiz - what is that in MOA?  ^-^ After his first five shots in prone - he could shoot into the dirt and you'd never know the difference (not that he ever would). I've learnt a lot from Gary as he has taken our club's NRA HP from five shooters to well over a dozen and climbing.

Gary's commitment to helping others learn to shoot knows few peers.

Many thanks for all your help sir. If not for you personally, there would never have been a single Appleseeds event at the WAC. Huzaaaaah!

NHale

I was very glad to meet Gary. He is uber nice, and very professional. I think the range we were on was great, and Gary made us feel very welcome. I am looking forward to visiting WAC as often as I can.

-Jim
Appleseed: Because you never know when the British will come looking to collect back taxes...

Cannoneer

This was my very first Appleseed event, same as the WAC.  We were one of those (non-Rambo type) families Gary spoke of.  In fact, my son and I never once felt the urge to take aim at one of those inbound planes.  Seriously though, what a fine club and talk about nice facility!  We greatly enjoyed the WAC, the Appleseed event, and definitely P. Henry and his fine staff.  Enjoy the cigar P. Henry, don't leave it in a coffin, its meant to be enjoyed.  BTW - We also recently attended another Appleseed event in Myakka, this time I brought two sons.  I guess the next time I will have to bring all three of my sons, and perhaps the neighbors as well.  Thanks for making Appleseed the quality event, and fantastic movement, that it has become!  An thanks to WAC for allowing us to visit and a chance prove what we are about.

PHenry

Quotethis time I brought two sons.  I guess the next time I will have to bring all three of my sons, and perhaps the neighbors as well.

O0

I did enjoy that fine stogey sir - many thanks. I hope to see u at an event again soon.

PH