News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Macon, Georgia Nov. 16-17

Started by DrJohn, November 18, 2013, 12:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJohn

The Macon, Georgia Appleseed event the weekend of Nov. 16-17 was successful by any measure. We were blessed by favorable weather, a gracious host range, dedicated instructors, but most especially, by as enthusiastic a group of students as this instructor has seen. We had a very respectable turnout of 24 students Saturday, of whom 19 we're first time Appleseed students and eight were less than 15 years old. We began with a Safety Briefing and Safe Rifle, then began the course of instruction on the Redcoat target. We studied the three fundamentals of rifle marksmanship, building a strong shooting platform (Sling Use and Steady Hold Factors in prone), the integrated act of firing the shot (the Six Steps), and the proper way to shift sights onto target (Natural Point of Aim and the NPOA drill). We then studied the proper rhythm of firing the shot (Rifleman's Cadence), as well as how to read our targets (Talking Targets) and how to adjust sights (Inches-Minutes-Clicks). At lunch we heard the first parts of the glorious  story of April 19, 1775, Strikes One and Two. After lunch we studied the Sitting-Kneeling positions and the transition from standing to sitting and prone. During our afternoon break we heard the last part of the story of April 19, 1775, Strike Three, before we shot an AQT target and then our final Redcoat. For our benediction Saturday we were graced to hear a particularly fine rendition of Patrick Henry's famous "Liberty or death!" speech, the one given several weeks prior to April 19, 1775 and the factor that brought just enough support from the Virginia House of Burgesses to ensure Virginia threw in with the Massachusetts Bay colonists. As was explained, this speech was one of the pivotal points of American history. The hushed silence that greeted this rendition of the speech, which most of us had never heard in its entirety before, indicated that it had a profound impact on all present.

Sunday saw the return of 15 stalwart students, although all were moving a bit slower than on the pervious day. After a brief review of material covered earlier, we shot a few sighter targets and then began shooting AQT targets while the students were still relatively fresh and before the appearance of the rain predicted for the afternoon. At lunch we heard stories of Dangerous Old Men, Brave Women, and Gallant Children who all participated in the struggle for liberty on April 19, 1775. After more AQT targets, we studied the fundamentals of shooting at Actual Distance during our afternoon break. The students, given the choice of moving back and shooting at 100 yards or shooting additional AQTs (because of the layout of the range, we had to do one or the other as a total group), decided to shoot another AQT, which was our last target of the day due to general fatigue on the part of everyone. As on the previous evening, we had a particularly significant benediction in which we were encouraged to internalize the ideals of the Founding Generation, to treasure them and ensure those ideals will never be lost or forgotten.

There is always a certain "chemistry" to every Appleseed event, and this instructor was particularly impressed by how receptive the attendees were to the message of Liberty. There was a certain electricity that seemed to pervade the entire event. There were any number of comments to the effect "I thought I was alone before I came to this Appleseed" and "How can I help or get involved?" It was an honor and pleasure to be able to serve such an illustrious group of patriotic Americans. Although there were too many students for me to acknowledge each one individually, please know that I enjoyed and was enriched by my interaction with each one of you. Bless you all, and may our paths cross again soon. Huzza!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

brianf31

Well said, DrJohn. We had the best of students that were eager to learn. It's always a privilege to work with such great people. Thanks again to Marion Road Gun Club for being such a gracious host.

The shooters made tremendous improvement over the course of the weekend. I encourage you all to keep practicing perfectly.

Congrats to Kiley and Hank on earning the Rifleman's patch!
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

Roswell

As always, Macon was a great event thanks to the Marion Road Gun Club and a very receptive group of shooters.

The shooters gathered up for DrJohn and Red Niva's instruction of the transition to prone.

Here they are learning about talking targets and IMC

Goose gave an excellent telling of the First Strike

Here they are shooting Stage 4 of the AQT (of which we got many in  ;))

Quite the large group of future shoot bosses

We had a really nice amount of families this weekend, which is always great to see.  ^:)^  It was even more special for one father and son pair as Courtland got to witness his father, Hank earn his patch. And might I add on his 1st Appleseed event! He is definitely a man who knows very well what he is about. Huzzah!

Not to be outdone, Guardian was proud to be there to present a Rifleman patch to his niece Kiley.

AND... Guardian also got to present his niece with a nice new orange hat. Welcome Dixie Girl!
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

SureShotSpartan

HUZZAH! HUZZAH! HUZZAH! Congrats to the new Riflemen and DOUBLE congrats to Kiley, I mean Dixie Girl!!  I'm soooooo proud to see our Georgia cadre continue to grow.
Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

General Stuart

Congratulations Kiley. It is great to see you with an Orange Hat. Gaurdian must be very proud. 
"I am resigned; Gods will be done."
Major General J.E.B Stuart

Henryrifle

If you are thinking about attending an Appleseed event here is my perspective after my first event with my 10-year-old son:

It is difficult to imagine a more meaningful and fun way to spend quality time with your children or friends.  I will remember this weekend for the rest of my life and would wager that my son will too.  We are both looking forward to attending many more of these in the near future.

For more specific details:

We took advantage of the videos and checklists of what to bring to the event.  We used everything the checklist listed except the insect repellant and needed for nothing.  From the moment we drove into the range and were greeted by Dr. John it was obvious that this event was well run and well organized.  We were told exactly what the next few steps of registration, safety briefing and setup were going to be.

The safety briefing was friendly and positive but at the same time set very specific guard rails for the rest of the weekend.  Learning the rules was an interactive experience where the participants parroted back the instructions to the instructors.  This method was employed throughout the event.  At each natural break in instruction, a different instructor would give a verbal lesson along with a practical demonstration.  This is my preferred way to learn and it allowed my son and me to immediately use what we had learned yielding measurable results.  It was also a great opportunity to form impressions about each instructor, pick who you wanted to ask specific questions of and get a feel for just how in-sync each instructor was with the other instructors and the program.  There were many instructional voices but one consistent message.

My son does like to shoot but has no formal training other than what I have taught him.  It was a great opportunity to interact with him, genuinely compliment him on how well he was doing and watch his confidence increase as his groups tightened and his scores increased.  It was miles better than discussing a recently watched movie or listening to the details of the latest video game.

This course is something that anyone can do.  Physically, I was sore after the first day--but the good kind of sore that comes from enjoyable and productive labor.  Mentally, I was ready to bring as many of the building blocks the instructors gave me together to perform at a higher level.  For both my son and me this was doing something together that at the end of each day allowed us to see (and measure) positive progress. Also, it's worth noting that the women who participated seemed to have a great time and did extremely well. While my comments are written from a guy's perspective, this was clearly an event that both genders enjoyed.

There are three more important parts to this weekend that might be more important than the shooting skills.

First, we met people there who were real people.  Irrespective of our stage or station in life, we shared staple guns, meals, snacks, clean-up tasks and good company.  It was as comfortable as being with your extended family at Thanksgiving but without any undercurrents of family friction.

Second, we were exposed to the facts and details of some of the most amazing men in the history of the founding of America.  I felt invigorated after hearing the stories and actual words of these true heroes who fought not for their own freedoms but for those of future generations.  I was reminded in those stories that real change is only effected by the hard work of impassioned individuals -- not something we can just wait for someone else to do for us.

Third, it was great to be reminded that there are a lot of people who will stand up and are standing up to lead their families and communities with real historical knowledge, facts and unassailable integrity.

If you want to learn a new skill or hone the skills you already have, spend some quality time with one of your children or enjoy the camaraderie of a positive, passionate and extremely knowledgeable instructor core all while absorbing some riveting history, this is an amazing experience and an enduring memory.

Thanks,
Henryrifle

goose

Dear HenryRifle,

Words do not begin to do justice to say how much what you have written means to us, the instructors.  It is our hope that you will join us as a new instructor, as we implore you to consider this endeavor. 

-goose

"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken