News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gurley, AL, AAR - Nov. 16-17, 2013

Started by Maximum Ordinate, November 18, 2013, 11:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

Instructors and shooters gathered in Gurley, Alabama on the morning of Saturday, November 16th for the final Alabama shoot for 2013!  We had instructors Ramblinwreck, Rusty, and SureShotSpartan.  We had great Applecore support from Pete_102.

Our shoot was at Haven Farm (private land).  The range area was cleared & backstop built especially for Appleseed events.  Saturday weather was great: high 60s, slightly overcast, and little wind.  14 shooters met to learn the quintessential American skill of precision marksmanship and hear the story of Liberty.  We invited particpants to bring pop-ups for overhead cover if they desired and those made a huge difference for the weekend.  Thank you!

After registration and the welcome, Ramblinwreck shared the First Strike with us, telling about the massacre on Lexington Green.  Our line boss SureShot Spartan introduced himself and the line commands... then we listened to the story of Captain Daniel Morgan.  Our shooters then set out to see if they would be cooks or Riflemen!

It was a real pleasure for the instructors to coach participants with such teachable attitudes and watch them build good habits.  After working through several drills and gaining confidence, we took a break for lunch.  Rusty shared the Second Strike - the onward march to Concord and the battle at the North Bridge where superior marksmanship turned the tide toward the Colonists.  Then, it was back to the firing line to learn how our targets talk to us (and sometimes tell on us!) and Inches-Minutes-Clicks.  We finished up the day with an AQT and a Redcoat target.  I think some shooters suprised themselves with how much improvement they made.  The instructors were pleased with the progress.   We closed the day with SureShotSpartan's telling the Third Strike - how the Colonists took the fight to the Regulars and chased them back to Boston!

Because of the short winter days, our shooters were willing to arrive early Sunday morning to take advantage of the light.  Sunday had a forecast of thunderstorms, so we wanted to get as much teaching in as we could.  We jumped right into a review of Saturday's instruction.  The shooters eagerly moved down to the range and we started with a Redcoat target.  By late morning, shooters were ready to begin the AQT grind.  Right before lunch, Andy knocked out a respectable 219 on the AQT.  He received his Rifleman patch during lunch and then later would rock out a 233!   At lunch, we talked about the Dangerous Old Men (not all of whom were old or men!) and a little about KD shooting. 

Folks on the line dedicated themselves throughout the weekend.  Jennifer & Alex, we were so glad you could join us on Saturday.  For absolute beginners, you did some really great work.  I hope to see you both back on the line soon!  Spencer, you're knocking on the door to get that 210.  Hang in there!  Russ (who joined us from Birmingham), you've got some good looking groups... remember that a Rifleman persists!  Edwin, your skills have really improved since Guntersville.  Greg and Sonja, you were both a pleasure to have on the line - keep practicing, especially relaxing into the sling.  Samantha and John, thank you for coming out... but more importantly thank you for all your help in constructing the range backstop.  Your help was instrumental in the success of this weekend.

A special mention for Amy (InsaneMom):  You arrived after injuring your foot, but refused to accept any variance in the standard to compensate for it.  Your integrity and love of Liberty demonstrates the spirit of the Rifleman and I can't wait to hand you your patch and that Orange Hat.

I'm really pleased with how all the shooters improved. I hope that each and every one of you continue to practice and come back.  To each and every shooter:  In our opening Saturday morning, I made two promises:  First, that if you applied our marksmanship lessons you would become a better shot.  Second, if you applied the history we share, you will become a better citizen.  I believe I fulfilled the former, and I look forward to the latter happening in your own lives.  I speak for all of the instructors when I say thank you for the privlege of serving you this weekend.

in Liberty,
Rusty

P.S.  Please feel free to add your comments and pictures!!!  I'll add some pictures below.  If you want any of the full-sized versions of them, please send me a message.  :)
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

inSANEmom

I learned that the old saying about "a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work" is applicable to shooting as well. I didn't shoot as well as I would have hoped, and I think my foot had something to do with that, but it was still a great weekend of learning.

Thanks to Rusty, RamblinWreck, and SureShotSpartan for another excellent event. I think I've pretty much decided... when it comes to Appleseed... I shoot with you guys or not at all.

"A Rifleman Persists." I look forward to persisting again at the next shoot.
-----AMY-----

Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have. - Ronald Reagan

SureShotSpartan

It was a great honor to serve as an Instructor at the first event in Gurley, AL! Thanks to all for your hard work and commitment to learning!

A beautiful day for Liberty!

Shoot Boss getting us started

Jacob, Brett, Jennifer and Alex firing at the first Red Coat of the event

Wreck instructing as Pete models

Working on the basics

IMC

EXCELLENT GROUP ALEX!!!

....can't forget our "special" guests
Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

GTEngineer

This is Andy, my first post on Appleseed forum!  Thank you Ramblinwreck, Rusty, and SureShotSpartan for teaching me the proper skills to be a rifleman,  ~~:) floggings and all.  Thank you inSANEmom for showing me the proper way to put together a loop sling on Saturday  :bow:.

While the weather on Saturday was beautiful, the best part was seeing how much I didn't really know about proper techniques and learn to correct my mistakes.  The instructions were great and the historical re-telling of the events in 1775 was very moving.  Like everyone, we learned some of the stories of 1775 in our history classes but never to the depth and detail as told last weekend.  The weather on Sunday as you have said turned nasty at times but my spirits were high, eager to keep practicing AQTs and earn that badge.

Thank you all again for all of your help and I look forward to seeing some of you again in future appleseed classes.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;..."
Ecclesiastes 9:10

1st Appleseed: Nov 16/17, 2013. Gurley, AL
2nd Appleseed IIT0: April 19, 2014.  Rising Fawn, GA

KD:
May 24/25, 2015. Manchester TN

RFKD:
Aug 20/21, 2022. Bothell WA

Requal:
Sept 30, 2017 Custer, WA
Feb 9, 2020 Redmond, WA
Apr 11, 2021 Redmond WA

Pistoleer™:
Nov 23, 2019 Eagle Creek, OR

Pistoleer™ requal:
May 22, 2021 Parma, ID
Mar 12, 2023 Redmond, WA

NRA Rifle Instructor

Ramblin' Wreck

It was a pleasure spending a weekend with such a great group of shooters. Thanks to all for coming out at the inaugural shoot in Gurley. I hope to see you all back there next year or at another shoot on the Appleseed trail.

Huzzah!

Ramblinwreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Maximum Ordinate

"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

Maximum Ordinate

-Thomas Jefferson

Maximum Ordinate

-Thomas Jefferson

Maximum Ordinate

-Thomas Jefferson

Maximum Ordinate

-Thomas Jefferson

Maximum Ordinate

-Thomas Jefferson

RedNeckRocketScientist

Thanks for the great inaugural Appleseed in Madison County.  It is great to spend a rainy wet day with kindred spirits.