News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Is it worth it to only attend 2nd day?

Started by Tbear, November 12, 2013, 08:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tbear

Fate has kicked me in the butt again, I was all signed up to attend Lapeer on both days. But fate stepped in and decided for me to get my car fixed on Saturday (2-3 hour) procedure so Saturday would be a wash for me. I could still make Sunday but would it be worth it?

Failing this, the only other chance I would have to attend an appleseed would be the December shoot in Lapeer.

Just asking for opinions guys..

Kosciusko

if Saturday is "drinking from the fire hose", then Sunday only would be comparable to "drinking from the pipeline"   

it's doable, but challenging

in the past, when this has happened at shoots I ran, if I had the instructors to spare, trying not to short-change the other shooters, the "fix" was to start  the new guy on squares and try to bring them up to speed with as much one-on-one instruction as the situation permitted

this method has worked and produced RM patches, most shooters who tried  it thought it was worth the effort

I don't know the particulars of your upcoming shoot.

since you seem likely to bring a teachable attitude,  go, and reach for the brass ring

as it has been said:  "If your reach does not exceed your grasp,  you are not reaching far enough."

you will surely learn something, far more than if you stayed home.

SteelThunder

Just remember the December shoot at LaPeer is full of awesome-sauce... ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:..
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

floydf

For me, I would take December so I could get both days.  You only have one first Appleseed.  It sticks with you.  There's no rush.  Saturday is where the meat is, Sunday is barbecuing the meat and digesting it. 
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

Superheat

Tbear,
I agree with the previous posts.  Kosciusko, I'm stealing that, Pipeline lol.   

Let me give you a different perspective.   I recommend people attend appleseed with the following mindset: have a teachable attitude and have no expectations.  Meaning, be ready to learn and don't have any ideas about "showing off how good you are" or "my equipment is perfect, I expect no problems". 

What we teach is very specific.  Most (nearly 100%) have never done the things we teach.  We are VERY good at what we do.  If you come to appleseed without an open mind and unable to deal with adversity, you will be your worst enemy.  You will probably miss out on a great learning experience. 

Why am I writing about this?  Your question was very simple.  'Can't come Saturday, should I just come Sunday'

From my perspective it has to be your decision.  Can you handle jumping into a situation where everyone has an 8 hour head start on the instruction?  Do you get frustrated easily?  Is your intention to learn and let the chips fall where they may?

This weekend we are OVER staffed.  That means a lot of help.  We will do everything possible to catch you up.  Chances are you will get your own personal instructor. 

But with all that being said, you need to make the decision.  If you can leave your ego at home? Then I say YES you must come.  It will be an awesome time. 

Don't tell Steel Thunder, but we may break out the awesome-sauce early this year.

Superheat.

Send me a P.M. if you would like to talk more.

mac66

Come on Sunday for a yummy taste, come back in December for the full meal.   O0
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Pitmaster

QuoteFate has kicked me in the butt again, I was all signed up to attend Lapeer on both days. But fate stepped in and decided for me to get my car fixed on Saturday (2-3 hour) procedure so Saturday would be a wash for me. I could still make Sunday but would it be worth it?

Kick fate out, skip work, and fix the car on Friday and hit both days. ;D

The bottom line advice comes from the answers to Superheat's questions in his post.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

Tbear

Thanks for all the responses

I have decided to bow out of this weekend's events and reschedule for December. It was some hard news that a friend has been in an accident and I am going to be with her and her family instead. Good luck to all the guys and gals that will be shooting this weekend.

See ya next month.

Caliper

Sorry to hear about your friend :(  Hope all is well with her.  Looking forward to seeing you out in December!