News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Myakka City, FL - Nov 9-10, 2013

Started by Mr Pete, November 12, 2013, 04:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Pete

This weekend we had 5 stout hearted Americans make it to Myakka City.  I always take my inspiration from the people I meet on the line.

Chris was a new shooter with a borrowed rifle.  He purposefully sought out formal instruction while his shooting friends left well enough alone.  He actually took vacation time from his job to finally attend an Appleseed!

Chris M (actually the other Chris is also a Chris M, but I'm simplifying here) brought his friend Fred.  Chris M had previously brought his family but this weekend it was his turn.

Ray and Christine drove up from Homestead (4+ hours) to get to this event.  They said that they had heard good things about Appleseed and I hope we exceeded their expectations.

Putting it in perspective we started with best of folks.  I can't believe Ray and Christine (who had never really shot a rifle) came all that way, spent all the time and effort on the chance that Appleseed might be for them.  In this group, that sacrifice to get to an Appleseed wasn't all that unusual.  There are great things to admire in all of their stories.

Chris ramped up from 0 to marksman in very short order.  That first day is never a disappointment unless you let it get to you.  In the end he had very respectable improvement and I hope he fulfills his potential!

Ray was doing very well all the time.  He learned and absorbed.  Funny...I don't remember scoring his AQTs but I'm pretty sure he didn't care about scores..only improvement.  I have to mention that during IMC with Christine's rifle he was incredulous that 28 clicks left windage (and 8 up) was required.  All the instructors know differently and next string Christine's group centered up on the black punching that square right in the nose!

Fred's lesson in IMC was along the same lines...except he took that click value for granted (4clicks to 1MOA).  When it didn't line up we had to question everything since the method does work.  It turns out that his scope adjusts 2 clicks for 1MOA and his initial correction (in MOA) was spot on!  Once settled he was punching out the black also!

Ms Cristine was nervous and tentative but willing to overcome all of that.  Sunday she qualified on the Redcoats which is impressive coming from knowing nothing.  I told both her and Ray that she had moments of genius in her shooting with amazing groups.  She had tons of doubles and fantastic groups as well as plenty of, "where did it go?!?".  I hope the lesson she takes with her is that she can do it and that she needs to trust herself.

Note to Ms Christine:  I've taught (literally) hundreds of people and KNOW you can do it,  I've seen it with my own eyes.

Last but not least we come to Chris M who had only actually shot at one Sunday only event.  As a man who knows what he is about he practiced and practiced.  He 7th stepped and worked at his marksmanship.  He passed out xeroxed copies of targets he made to other shooters and even to me so others could benefit from his experience and work.  All of it paid off as he warmed up with a 206 then accomplished his purpose with a 221 and 223 back to back (there were more but my memory isn't what it used to be).  Scoring in the 220's is not that easy when you have "extra" holes in your target.  His friends thought he needed a challenge and decided to eliminate some of his 5s in standing.  Congratulations Sir and I wish I could hold you to that promise of taking up the hat.  When you're ready, we'll be here...more sleeping Americans need your help.

All in all a great weekend meeting more Appleseed family (stoneknives) and more fine Americans!

Please post your experiences so that the we can improve ourselves for the next group of Appleseeders.

I hope that I meet y'all again on (or off) the Appleseed Trail.

-Peter
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

stoneknives

Fantastic weekend at the Manatee Gun Club, great folks, great weather and good friends both new and old.
It started early Saturday morning by meeting, the Mr Pete the Shoot Boss weekend. He has quite a Appleseed resume and there was a little trepidation working for him. But I should not have worried as he is a true gentleman and the weekend was a pleasure.
Our students arrived Saturday and they drank deeply from the fire-hose of information. Chris, Christine and Ray brought teachable attitudes, worked hard and their efforts showed with some great groups.
I picked up some interesting history from the students, that's always a gift. 
That evening the students helped Pete and I tear down the line (Thank You) because the range had double booked Area 51. We moved over to the Cowboy line to get ready for Sunday.

Here are the Saturday pictures that came out. (I have never passed for much of a photographer) Sunday pic's will follow.
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

stoneknives

Posting pic here...always a joy  :wb:
More Saturday pics
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

stoneknives

Sunday arrived bright and clear, on the new line with two new students Chris and Fred joining Chris, Christine and Ray.
Chris has been to Project Appleseed before and had practised at home. Fred was experiencing Appleseed for the first time. Both of these gentlemen were ready to learn and learn they did.
All of my fellow citizen's on the line showed great improvement, with the final Redcoats proving great increase in marksmanship ability. Chris, who was just able to join us for Sunday, crushed several AQT's even with EXTRA help from his friend.
Thank You All

more Sun pic's to follow

stoneknives

more Sunday pic's

stoneknives

even more Sunday pics    Chris M earning his Expert Patch.