News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Evansville, IN. Nov 9-10 2013

Started by Mudcat, November 10, 2013, 10:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcat

Wow what a weekend! It was a great weekend to be on an Appleseed firing line for sure. All fine Americans joining us, with 20 participants sharing space at beautiful Red Brush Rifle range. Everyone showed up, willing to learn Saturday morning bright and early. We quickly got underway and was met head on with a strong head wind that stressed the target backers and negated the staples holding power. But it didn't stop these shooters, they dropped their head adjusted their NPOA and continued their quest for that Rifleman patch. The only thing stronger was their desire to hear the heritage of our founders. When we finished up Saturday evening with the lights on we had 1 Rifleman Big John with a 224, Huzzah. Many scratching their head at the AQT and realizing how hard it really can be. Sunday we started out with a quick review of the steady hold factors and other lessons the shooters learned from the Appleseed fire hose the day before. The slower pace and many questions paid off as the groups on the 5 square targets we very very good. So on to the AQT grind hammering out Rifleman on the anvil of the AQT with 3 quick AQTs before lunch. We had a great lunch of chicken and dumplings, vegetable soup home made bread biscuits and desert. When the AQts were scored we had more Rifleman scores, Big John backed his up. Randy had 2 Rifleman scores and Ben came through with a 22? with a borrowed bolt action rifle. Huzzah! This seemed to inspire the others as scores seemed to really jump during the after lunch grind everyone was improving with every AQT. Scott was doing great but could not get the count on the bottom row and a Rifleman has to know how to count. So his son Preston lent him a hand telling his dad when to shift his NPOA it must have worked because Scott came through with a 214. Happy dad and happy son for sure. Then Jody came through with our final Rifleman score for the weekend with a 22? This guy would not give up he was digging so deep for it and listening to instruction so well. But we also had many more who were over 200 with Jasmine, Doug and Jason so so close. Lots of improvement was made through the weekend With Amanda adding more than 100 points consistently to her score, Jesse, Kris, Tyler, Ryan and Mark gaining on the elusive 210 by leaps and bounds. Our youth shooters made huge improvements and acted like the young ladies and men that they are always with a smile on their face and ready to race this old shoot boss down to the target line.
I want to say thank you to all of you for coming out and sharing the weekend with me. It was 5 years ago today that I took my orange hat and started down the path to becoming an Appleseed instructor. This was very special weekend for me and you all made it very enjoyable. Huzzah!
Congratulations to Red Barron for earning his red hat after 9 shoots this weekend. Thanks to Chris for coming out to help, you did a great job and if you would like a part time job I can help you out, the pay is not that great but the benefits cannot be matched.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

redbaron

Thanks to all who came out for a great weekend of marksmanship and heritage. Weather was good, although a touch windy on Saturday.

Saturday rifleman, John.

Rayne doing demo while Uncle Davey gives steady hold factor review on Sunday morning

The line during the AQT grind on Sunday afternoon

Trying out an MVP

The new Marlin Appleseed LTR getting put to the test

Jason doing work

Preston giving a borrowed M&P15-22 a test run with the help of his dad, Scott

John continued to back-up his rifleman qualification, aqt after aqt!

Tyler, one of our designated rifleman

Jasmine made great improvement this weekend, she got close with a score of 200

Kris putting it all together towards the end of the day

Uncle Davey getting a little trigger time

Jody doing work

Taylor driving tacks

Amanda showing persistence

Doug improved all day and scored a 204

Rayne running the line during the afternoon AQT grind

Randy re-qualifying with the first two AQT's on Sunday

Ben showing that he knows what he is about

Scott, with counting help from his son Preston, made it over the hump

Jody proving that persistence pays off

Slow2Speak showing and explaining the new Marlin Appleseed LTR

Our posterity

Uncle Davey

Yeah buddy! Got me some Mudcat, Steve, Rayne, Pup, Chris, Honey ...some red-headed guy with a new red hat named..yep..RedBaron. Then a couple of good ole boys from up Bedford way..SPQR and Issac Da...I mean S2S. Then a whole bunch of awesome Patriots came to learn marksmanship and heritage. The collective groups attitude was outstanding and the results speak for themselves. Thanks to Redbrush and Mudcat/ the boys for making it happen!
Those who stay will be champions. Those who persist will be riflemen.

Hunting Goodman

Mudcat, Rayne, Steve, Tim, Red Baron and Uncle Davey (and anyone else I forgot!); Preston and I can't thank you enough for the great reach back into history to remind us why we have the freedoms we all take for granted today. I also can't say thank you enough for your knowledge and everlasting patience when instructing, you are all truly professional and know what your all about  :bow: On the way home, Preston was already asking me when the next Appleseed was (I was also wondering!), so it looks like we will be seeing you at the next Appleseed, and hopefully will have Preston a semi-auto 22 ;D
Thanks for all the incouragement and helpful advise (like how to count) throughout the weekend, the experience we had will be talked about for a long time. I already got to spread the word at my local gun shop today  ^:)^
Gotta give a special shout out to Rayne for taking Preston under her wing and taking his score from a 45 to a 78! I can honestly say that after shooting the initial AQT for 125pts, the Riflemans patch looked out of reach, thanks for the persistence and encouragement to get me there, you all are great  @)
Thanks again
Scott & Preston

redbaron

Scott, it was a pleasure having you and Preston on the line this weekend. The improvement you both made was awesome to watch. After your counting mishap, we knew you could make it, if you kept the count correct.

I looking forward to having you two on the line again!

Rayne

~
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

Big John

This past weekend was a good Appleseed, and seemed to run quite smoothly, thanks to the many orange hats, the brand new redhat, and the shoot boss all making sure the time was not wasted. I noticed a difference in the Nov weekend over the one I did in April, being that darkness sneaks up on you at the end of the allotted time this time of year, so it was good we hurried along. Along with some additional fundamentals drills I had not seen before on Saturday like the star target, along with a lot of five squares, we managed to fit in 8 AQTs over the weekend.

I managed to improve my score a small chunk, and repeat it enough to feel ok with going after an orange hat next year (I've got a house to renovate/move into first) even though a certain lady instructor was awaiting the fire command with her bucket of water when the first AQT scores were announced. I've got at least a couple of friends who want to attend, so I'm hoping to aid with filling the line with that. I may have to loan them my rifles and bust out the old rusty tube fed lever action, but that's just a new challenge, too.

The history was well done too, with multiple instructors handling the match strikes and the other accompanying stories. I didn't hear the story of the shot taken vs the shot not taken, but I think that was one I remember from the KD shoot I did earlier in the year, so maybe I'm confused. Good story, anyway. Third strike had some competition from the very good benefit lunch put on by Mrs. Mudcat and family, but it was a great fight to be had between good food and good stories.

I felt that the weekend went very smoothly and accomplished a lot, with a load of young shooters and a lot of other variety of shooters on the line with the only issue being the occasional forgotten earplugs. Line bossing was very consistent between instructors, with even Pup coming by and pinch-hitting for line boss for an AQT (guess he wanted to earn lunch.)

Thanks much to the instructors and the shooters. Had fun.

TJ Kackowski

Quote from: Big John on November 12, 2013, 03:16:37 PM

... and bust out the old rusty tube fed lever action, but that's just a new challenge, too.

Challenge might be a bit of an understatement.  I've been messing around with my Marlin 39A equipped with Williams peep sights and finding it a lesson in frustration management on Stages 2 & 3.  Given enough time like Stages 1 & 4 and the lever action is a ton of fun.  Give that 'ol lever action a whirl and let me know how you make out.

Rayne

~
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

Hunting Goodman

Quote from: redbaron on November 11, 2013, 09:32:47 PM
Scott, it was a pleasure having you and Preston on the line this weekend. The improvement you both made was awesome to watch. After your counting mishap, we knew you could make it, if you kept the count correct.

I looking forward to having you two on the line again!

Red Baron you will be seeing us hopefully sometime over the Winter or at the latest Spring, as Preston and I are already looking forward to the next one E-Ville way...
Thanks again for the great instruction and encouragement  ;D

Hunting Goodman

Quote from: Rayne on November 11, 2013, 11:12:43 PM
I noticed Scott hovering over his son right off the bat and went to Preston and told Dad to relax, that I had it.  We love parents to bring their kids; on the other hand, the parents are there to learn also, so you need to trust the instructors with your children.  Scott trusted the instructors to teach Preston and watch to make sure everyone was safe.  If not it would have almost been near impossible for Scott to shoot a rifleman score.  It just takes so much focus.  Thank you Scott for bringing Preston and allowing me to mentor him and yourself.  You take instruction from a woman very well.  Your wife should be proud.   Preston you keep building that firm foundation and it won't be long before you join your Dad as a rifleman.  Scott remember to quit popping that trigger. 

Thanks again for putting my mind at ease with Preston, and the excellent instruction and patience (with both of us!). My wife read your post and laughed about the "take instruction from a woman well", as you can tell I'm used to it  :bow:

Rayne

~

indyrubi

Thanks to all the instructors!!!!  Had a good time even with Rayne kicking me and Tim throwing rocks at me.  ;D  It felt good to get two nice scores right off the bat on Sunday morning after a 3.5hr drive.
Scott had some great advice for Kris and got him to quit  :'( ..... kinda.
Anyway, can't wait to take my son to an Appleseed.

redbaron

Quote from: indyrubi on November 13, 2013, 12:36:14 AM
Anyway, can't wait to take my son to an Appleseed.

What are you waiting for? Get him to one!  ~~:)

Rayne

~

redbaron

Quote from: Rayne on November 15, 2013, 11:13:06 AM
You know we have one scheduled for Nashville December 7th and 8th, that I happen to know will have a certain female instructor who will give a ton of attention to your son and nudge your ballerina foot every once in a while.   @) 

Plus Nashville is a lot closer than the drive you took this weekend.

And Slim will be there. RJ will have someone to compare Hawks with.  -:)

Big John

I want a winterseed patch. That frosty thing Mudcat has is neat looking. I was thinking of going to the
one in Brazil (IN) that following weekend, as I sometimes inhabit the greater Terre Haute area.....
I TRIED to say that with a straight face....but I don't see anyone signing up.

Maybe I could do the Nashville one.

Mudcat

I believe I am going to Nashville as a shooter myself Big John. Probably Sunday only but who knows.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Big J

I had a Great time last weekend and learned a lot.  Thank you to all the instructors who were out there coaching and giving advice all weekend.  I have been doing some dry practice when I can squeeeeeeze it in.  A lot while at my desk with a pen in hand trying to sink it with my breathing.  I plan on trying to meet up with Mudcat sometime to earn my patch.

Thanks again to all the instructors who were there last week.

Mudcat

Big J keep up that dry fire practice even with the pen it does wonders. Let me know if you want to go to the range sometime, if we can't meet up keep an eye on the schedule for shoot dates to be added, sometimes it is as late as Feb before Red Brush shoots hit the schedule. You know how to get in contact with me.

Indyrubi get that boy to an Appleseed he will have a ball.

Scott and Preston you guys were a great time and it should be noted that Preston shot with a sling all weekend too I do believe with a single shot. That is persistence. He did a lot of improvement without a doubt as did Dad. Thank you so much for bringing Preston out it makes my Appleseed weekend when I see family on the roster and you both were perfect examples. In fact all the young men and the young lady were all excellent. I am a believer in treating our kids like adults if they act like it and getting out and doing activities with them. You both will likely never forget the weekend and when Preston gets his patch it will truly be unforgettable. Ask me how I know.  ;) We do it for posterity. Hope to see you all again soon.

Big John break out that tube fed lever action it can be done, remember you have 5 minutes to score 100 points on stage 4. I assure you, that you will not be the first Rifleman with a cowboy gun. But it is quite a challenge.
--George Washington

Ridge Runner

First off sorry this took so long to post ,   :wb:  Amanda ,Taylor and I had a GREAT time .  We are looking forward to our next Appleseed . ALL of the instructors were great , not only on the firing line but with the history lesson as well.  They all were patient, respectful, and encouraging! The lunch on Sunday was great ,THANK YOU to Mudcat's wife for that. I've been talking to a lot of people that come into the shop about the whole weekend and they all say it sounds great ! O0

Mudcat

Thanks for the seventh stepping Ridge Runner, it is our best form of advertising. Word of mouth works better than any fliers, magazine ads or anything else. If you need anything for your seventh stepping like those fliers and such just let me know.  I enjoyed your entire family over the weekend everyone was always smiling and having a good time. Taylor was very safe, took instruction well and was very respectful as were all the young ones. Amanda was always cheerful and never got discouraged, she made great progress. I hope to see you all on the line again.
--George Washington