News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Manchester, TN, AAR - Nov. 9-10, 2013

Started by Maximum Ordinate, November 09, 2013, 01:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

This weekend started a bit early - on Friday evening, to be exact.

A number of the Tennessee instructors met at Tncolonel's home for an informal professional development meeting:  Rusty, Tncolonel, TNEagle, Paatriot G-Pa, Living Hand, and Greg (who is soon to be StandUpGuy on the forum).

We spend some time together visiting & enjoying pizza and then moved onto the focus of the evening.  Each instructor got to practice teaching positions, with the goal of achieving simplicity and precision in the explanations.  While Rusty facilitated, Tncolonel provided excellent feedback on each of the instructors and there was lots of crosstalk and sharing of lessons learned.  I hope the evening was both enjoyable and a good investment of their time.

The highlight of the evening was the presentation of an Orange Hat to Greg.  Greg has two Appleseeds under his belt, and while not yet an instructor, was motivated enough to attend our meeting.  Welcome to the program, Greg!  :)

I think Tncolonel may have taken more pics during the meeting.

More AAR to follow tomorrow!
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Maximum Ordinate

We closed the year out With the last Project Appleseed shoot of 2013 at Manchester, TN!  Our host organization, the Highland Rim Shooters Club ordered up some fine weather for us.  Brisk on Saturday and absolutely perfect on Sunday!  28 shooters met to learn the quintessential American skill of precision marksmanship and hear the story of Liberty!

After the welcome, First Strike by TN_Dadx5, and safety brief, we moved rifles to the line.  Our line boss Slyder introduced himself and we listened to the story of Captain Daniel Morgan.  Our shooters then set out to see if they would be cooks or Riflemen!

We had a couple of new additions to our Manchester team:  Living Hand is joining us from Ohio and Paatriot G-Pa who received his OH at the last shoot.

Our shooters worked through several drills and gained skills and confidence with each string of fire.  It was a real pleasure to watch them develop good habits.  During our lunch break, Rusty shared the Second Strike.  After lunch, we moved back to the line and continued the instruction, learning how our targets talk to us (and sometimes tell on us!) and Inches-Minutes-Clicks.  With the time change, the sun was hitting below the horizon during our AQT.  Booneystomper came to the rescue and clicked on the huge floodlamps and shooters were able to finish the Redcoat target in the dark!  Our shooters then gathered up in the dark and listened to Living Hand give a telling of the Third Strike.  For me, the highlight of the day was a first time Appleseeder, Josie, stepping up to accept a Blue Hat!

Our shooters were willing to return a bit earlier Sunday morning to take advantage of the early light.  We were also joined by Instructors-in-Training TnEagle, Gandalf, and Peanut on Sunday.   At 7:45, we began our review of yesterday's instruction answering some great questions.  The shooters eagerly moved down to the range and we started with a Redcoat target.  By late morning, shooters were ready to begin the AQT grind.  Early on, Ben (already a Rifleman) had an excellent requalifying score.  He was followed by Nate.  We recognized him at lunch as our first Rifleman of the day - with a score of 223!

Folks on the line really applied themselves, and because we had good instructor coverage on Sunday... the Shoot Boss prodded the instructors to get down and knock out an AQT for practice.  Lunch came and we listened to inspiring stories of Dangerous Old Men, not all of whom were old or men. 

Mark & Josie, I was really delighted to see your progress through the day.  Ben, you had a great requal.  Rett and Ms. Troublemaker... keep at it.  You were both really going strong toward the end of the day.  JJ, I'm really glad you joined us - I don't think I've ever seen such great sitting groups!  Paden & Asher, you were both patient and adaptable and a real joy to have on the line.  I'm really pleased with how all the shooters improved. I hope that each and every one of you continue to practice and come back.

Towards the end of Sunday afternoon, we had another Rifleman, Natalie, with a score of 219.  As if that wasn't cool enough, our requal Ben, asked to accept an Orange Hat and join the Appleseed instructor corps.  HUZZAH to both of you!  (and hint-hint, Natalie... you *could* come back and do the same. :) )

To each and every participant:  In our opening Saturday morning, I made two promises:  First, that if you applied our marksmanship lessons you would become a better shot.  Second, if you applied the history we share, you will become a better citizen.  I believe I fulfilled the former, and I look forward to the latter happening in your own lives.  Thank you for the honor of serving you this weekend.

in Liberty,
Rusty

P.S.  Please feel free to add your comments and pictures!!!  I'll add some pictures below.  If you want any of the full-sized versions of them, please send me a message.  :)
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

Maximum Ordinate

-Thomas Jefferson

Maximum Ordinate

-Thomas Jefferson

Maximum Ordinate

-Thomas Jefferson

Maximum Ordinate

-Thomas Jefferson

Maximum Ordinate

-Thomas Jefferson

Maximum Ordinate

-Thomas Jefferson

Living Hand

Biggest congratulations to the two new Rifleman!  We had a lot of other great shooters on the line as well, who will only get better from here.  Congratulations to everyone for your teachable attitudes and valiant improvements. 

Biggest thanks to the two new Hats who stepped up!  I look forward to working with you at the 2014 events.  In addition to over-Winter practice of our marksmanship skills, we would all do well to read through "Paul Revere's Ride" by David Hackett Fischer.  It's available in the Appleseed store, for those who don't already have access to a copy.

Keep the Spirit,
Living Hand
"Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."

"Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed, if so celestial an article as freedom, should not be highly rated."

SureShotSpartan

It brings me GREAT joy to see ANOTHER excellent event at my "other" home range!!   ^:)^  Congratulations to all that attended!!  Each and every one of you struck a blow for LIBERTY!! 
Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

Paatriot G-Pa

It was a great time. Congrats to all on the fine shooting! Just wish to add that those that attended were very attentive and were asking great questions when they need to. I will try and get some pics posted tomorrow.

Soldieratheart

Hi everybody,

I went ahead and registered so I could get in touch with the Manchester instructor team, especially the Shoot Bosses. As some of you may know, I was invited to attend this Appleseed clinic by Kirby Foster (RWVA Texas) through my affiliation with The Well-Armed Woman. All that was asked for was an honest write-up of the event. I've finished my write-up and submitted it yesterday, so I thought I'd give y'all a head's-up in case you're interested. Don't worry, my criticisms are few and my praise high... I thought it was a wonderful program and was very impressed by each of you.

I made sure to allow forum members access to emailing me, so if you'd like to take a look at the article, just let me know and I'll send it. And if you have pics of my I would love to have a few! I stink at remembering to take pictures myself!

Thank you all for a wonderful experience and I am making plans to come back next year with my hubby and kids for sure!

Maximum Ordinate

Hi Natalie!

It was great you could come out and share the weekend with us.  I hope you and your family can make it back in 2014!

I'll look forward to seeing the article when it's posted on the WAW sight!

I posted the pictures I took that turned out (I shoot better targets than pictures!)  If you want one, I can send the full-resolution version. 

in Liberty,
Rusty
-Thomas Jefferson

Paatriot G-Pa

Here are some Pictures from the shoot.

Paatriot G-Pa

And more.