News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New offerings: CMP AMMO

Started by nyrasgt, November 08, 2013, 12:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyrasgt

Appleseed ammo consumers,

If you haven't gone to CMP site/ammunition area (www.odcmp.org) lately, they have just started to list centerfire handgun ammunition (e.g. Federal Blazer FMJ) in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45acp, at relatively favorable prices.  I'm sure the seriously competitive and driven can find same cheaper (including shipping, of course)...but is still good deal, imho.
   What I don't know is the time between order and receipt of same; site lists 6 month+/- for .22 rimfire @ $260 + shipping for 5k.
Worth some consideration, esp. for Appleseed Pistol Clinics...
Excelsior,
madMark/nyrasgt
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

fisherdawg

I have an order into CMP for .22lr placed on 3 March 2013 that is not yet filled. I spoke to their Aniston, Alabama customer service on Tuesday (5 November).  They have been filling some orders as inventory arrives.  They are  'on allocation' with the distributor/manufacturer and cannot get anywhere near the quantity they desired. Partial shipments arrive form time to time without warning, she told me. :P

They have completed orders placed by 25 February and 'have a few hundred, not a thousand orders' to fill before they get to mine. I had placed this order to help with 2013 Appleseed events. :( Looks like it might help 2014 shoots instead :wb:

Therefore, I would think 6 months is a current minimum wait.  They DO NOT charge your credit card until the order is filled. I'd encourage Appleseeders to get orders in NOW for Summer 2014. ~~:)

The demand for .22lr has exceeded production capacity by a factor of 10 or 100 or more.  So, the trickle that is showing up is not likely to fill demand for many more months. Centerfire situation is much better. CMP has excellent .308 - Federal Match & American Eagle for around $1.00 per round. :P

Just thought I'd post what I know.

Also, John M. Boul Jr., on his Blog - FUN "The Firearms User Network" posted a reasonable analysis of the .22 lr situation:
http://firearmusernetwork.com/2013/07/23/the-ammo-drought-explained/
I have no independent knowlege of the ammo industry and his other facts, but I've often seen the quote " 70 milion" or "80 million" gun owners in America so his idea seems about right to me. :'(

fisherdawg

Quote from: nyrasgt on November 08, 2013, 12:54:46 PM
Appleseed ammo consumers,

If you haven't gone to CMP site/ammunition area (www.odcmp.org) lately, they have just started to list centerfire handgun ammunition (e.g. Federal Blazer FMJ) in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45acp, at relatively favorable prices.  I'm sure the seriously competitive and driven can find same cheaper (including shipping, of course)...but is still good deal, imho.
   What I don't know is the time between order and receipt of same; site lists 6 month+/- for .22 rimfire @ $260 + shipping for 5k.
Worth some consideration, esp. for Appleseed Pistol Clinics...
Excelsior,
madMark/nyrasgt
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

saltypaws

I wish I had put my .22 order in last March...  :'( I did however, put it in with an order of Greek 30-06 surplus on October 5. I got the Greek in October 14.  ..:..  With the 6 month lead time on .22 and how much fun it is to see the  kids shoot it, I think I'll order another brick every couple months until I get the first shipment....

Does anyone in our program have contacts with any ammo manufacturers? I read in American Rifleman that Federal Premium and CCI set aside 20 million rounds of .22lr for BSA, 4-H, and similar programs. There is an application process and the rounds are shipped directly to the recipients. I wonder what we would need to do to qualify? Give a kids summer camp? Young Patriots RBC? Now that the BSA is going to get some direct competition from another boy youth program we may have an opportunity to reach even more kids and their parents......

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.

Salty

"We are paratroopers Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded". ~ CPT Dick Winters ~

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong."

"Make good scouts of yourselves, become good rifle shots so that if it becomes necessary that you defend your families and your country that you can do it." - Lord Baden-Powell, Scouting For Boys

Pitmaster

QuoteAlso, John M. Boul Jr., on his Blog - FUN "The Firearms User Network" posted a reasonable analysis of the .22 lr situation:
I have no independent knowlege of the ammo industry and his other facts, but I've often seen the quote " 70 milion" or "80 million" gun owners in America so his idea seems about right to me. :'(

Going on the assumption he's right or close to it. Things could be worse. I'm sure there are people where if the ammo was available would be picking up .22 in 5K + lots. I've picked up some but only to provide a little cushion to replace what I've used or provided to others. Plus, I don't like contributing and being a part of the frenzy.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

fisherdawg

Quote from: Pitmaster on November 08, 2013, 07:50:11 PM
QuoteAlso, John M. Boul Jr., on his Blog - FUN "The Firearms User Network" posted a reasonable analysis of the .22 lr situation:

Going on the assumption he's right or close to it. Things could be worse. I'm sure there are people where if the ammo was available would be picking up .22 in 5K + lots. I've picked up some but only to provide a little cushion to replace what I've used or provided to others. Plus, I don't like contributing and being a part of the frenzy.
++1
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

KodyJaret

I would not dispute Mr. Boul's reasoning, but I note the date of the proffered post at July 23 of this year.

I would offer a new normal. Recently the only lead smelter in this country, the 'Doe Run' operation at Herculaneum MO. was shut down by the EP&A. I believe the lead mines located in that area will still be mining lead ore, but obviously the ore will have to be shipped out of the country to be refined. This will put a serious crimp in domestic production of ammunition, as well as all other products that use lead (think car batteries). Almost certainly increased cost will be passed on to consumers. Production time/delivery will be degraded as well.

Now the good news. It is often stated that this country is at war; 'the war on drugs',  'the war on terror' and so forth. But that cannot be. If we were at war, surely a critical operation to any war effort would be lead production. Therefore, we must be at peace. I wonder what the 'peace dividend' will be,,, >:D

nyrasgt

Update on CMP ammunition order:

From order mailed 2 wks ago, received email from CMP:

We have received and verified your recent order.  Your order will now advance to our sales area and from there to our shipping area.  Please note that, unless otherwise listed, our order-to-ship time is at least 60-90 days.  You will receive other emails as your order progresses.

Your customer number is XXXXXX.  Please use this number for any communications concerning your order as that is where all your information is stored.  Thank you for your order and support of our program.

XXXX XXXXXXXX
Customer Service - CMP
phone # w. extension
email

Can't hurt to order - plan ahead...CMP sold .22 ammo in 5k cases @ $95 each - went through 40 MILLION ROUNDS in FOUR DAYS.
You snooze...
Excelsior,
madMark/nyrasgt
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: nyrasgt on December 12, 2013, 09:08:02 PM
Update on CMP ammunition order:

From order mailed 2 wks ago, received email from CMP:

We have received and verified your recent order.  Your order will now advance to our sales area and from there to our shipping area.  Please note that, unless otherwise listed, our order-to-ship time is at least 60-90 days.  You will receive other emails as your order progresses.

Your customer number is XXXXXX.  Please use this number for any communications concerning your order as that is where all your information is stored.  Thank you for your order and support of our program.

XXXX XXXXXXXX
Customer Service - CMP
phone # w. extension
email

Can't hurt to order - plan ahead...CMP sold .22 ammo in 5k cases @ $95 each - went through 40 MILLION ROUNDS in FOUR DAYS.
You snooze...
Excelsior,
madMark/nyrasgt

What caliber did you order?

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd