News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Eagle Creek Nov 9 & 10 AAR

Started by Kimber Custom, November 06, 2013, 12:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimber Custom

The last shoot of the year for Douglas Ridge Rifle Club is this weekend. Expecting an all-star cast of instructors with Mister Clark, Prescott, kenjo, AmbulanceDriver, whit and Flipper.

Stay tuned...

Kimber Custom

OMG 6 new riflemen and a repeat on Sat?!? 36 guns on the line this morning. Amazing.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow holds.

Earl

Looks like you have a range full of potential Riflemen. Great job! O0
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

eert

WOW, 36 shooters on the line.  WAY to go! 

Have you asked the shooters how they heard about us and what drove them to attend?

Keep up the great work!

EERT

Ironbar

Hello all- I'm the big guy with the Redcoat targets. I originally heard about Appleseed on the Rimfire Central forum about two years ago. I attended my first Appleseed in the Summer of 2012. This one was my fourth because for one reason or another, I was only ever able to attend one day- (same as this weekend!).

Anyway, this weekend I finally made Rifleman. I scored 237 on my first AQT, and 223 on the second. I also cleared both Redcoat targets! I'm a pretty happy camper!  O0

AmbulanceDriver

Currently uploading the pictures I took this weekend.   Will post a link up here shortly.... Just so grateful for all those that came out this weekend, excited about all the new Riflemen, and to those who didn't make it yet, remember, a Rifleman PERSEVERES!  :D

Here we go:  http://s39.photobucket.com/user/jmaia2/library/Eagle%20Creek%20Nov%209-10

Also thanks to our newest volunteers, Daniel for taking an Orange Hat and Marcus and Marc for taking Blue Hats!  HUZZAH!

Kimber Custom

27 hearty souls came back for round two and a three more riflemen were forged. Many proved their scores we not flukes with repeat scores. We even had a perfect stage 4  :bow: We added an orange hat and two, yes 2 new blue hats. If there is such as thing as a perfect Appleseed - this was it.

Thank you to the shooter, RSO's, range and instructors for making the magic happen.

Yes, they are different red coats each time he cleared it

And even the shoot boss got to lay down a few rounds when another shooter left his rifle unattended.

AmbulanceDriver

Did learn something really interesting about my M1 Garand this weekend.   My surplus Greek M2 ball ammo and my reloads with 168 grain SMK shoot to pretty close to the same point of aim.   But some earlier loads with 165 grain Sierra soft point bullets (with the same powder charge as the 168's) impacts 4 MOA down and 2 MOA to the right of the other two loads....

George Hacker

Quote from: AmbulanceDriver on November 10, 2013, 11:52:05 PM
Did learn something really interesting about my M1 Garand this weekend.   My surplus Greek M2 ball ammo and my reloads with 168 grain SMK shoot to pretty close to the same point of aim.   But some earlier loads with 165 grain Sierra soft point bullets (with the same powder charge as the 168's) impacts 4 MOA down and 2 MOA to the right of the other two loads....

Nice to hear you got some good DOPE on your rifle/ammo combination this weekend.
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Flipper

Had a great AS this weekend great to end the DRRC shoot for this year with a Bang  :--- I mean 9 new rifleman 6 Sat and 3 Sunday and than I lost track of how many targets I scored that were repeat rifleman  ^:)^

It was great weather great shooters and the youth that were on this line blew me away I was so impressed with them. They shot great they were eager and very much willing to learn best youth Iv seen on the line  ;D

scoob

Quote from: Ironbar on November 10, 2013, 10:08:14 PM
Hello all- I'm the big guy with the Redcoat targets. I originally heard about Appleseed on the Rimfire Central forum about two years ago. I attended my first Appleseed in the Summer of 2012. This one was my fourth because for one reason or another, I was only ever able to attend one day- (same as this weekend!).
Anyway, this weekend I finally made Rifleman. I scored 237 on my first AQT, and 223 on the second. I also cleared both Redcoat targets! I'm a pretty happy camper!  O0

Congrats Ironbar!  Persistence pays off!   ^:)^   I hope this is only the beginning of your journey!   ;)

Great job everyone!
Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho
--------------------------------------------------------------
Be sure and LIKE and SHARE our Facebook page: 
Northwest Region Project Appleseed
--------------------------------------------------------------
During the whole affair, the rebels attacked us in a very scattered, irregular manner, but with perseverance and resolution, nor did they ever dare to form into a regular body. Indeed they knew too well what was proper, to do so. Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken. They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..."Gen. Hugh, Earl Percy

modeler

My wife and I had a great time. I shot Rifleman for the first (and second and third) time and her skills greatly improved. More important, she enjoyed it so much that she wants to go to another one and shoot Rifleman.

We went to her parent's house for dinner Sunday night after the shoot and showed her father the poster the American side made after the events at Lexington and Concord. He sat and read the whole thing, after telling him about the shoot he said he wants to go to an Appleseed too   O0

modeler

I should mention that this was my second Appleseed and my wife's first. Persistence does indeed pay off.

Audrey

WOW! What a turn out. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun! Huzzah, huzzah, huzzah! to the new Riflemen. (:

Flipper

I think the Shooters had such a good time that next year I expect all DRRC AS are going to sold out not to mention we get a KD shoot in as well, that would be amazing if we did id say from all the feed back we get I expect to see a lot of the shooters on the line again.

I do have to point out that our to new blue hats were Marc and Marcus. Marcus is only 11 and he was shooting with iron sites  he did an amazing job  ;D You know what is even better is that they drove 8 hours from Boise, Idaho just to come to an AS that's awesome  by itself just thought that was so cool that it was worth mentioning  ;)

Kimber Custom

Quote from: modeler on November 11, 2013, 02:07:32 PM
My wife and I had a great time. I shot Rifleman for the first (and second and third) time and her skills greatly improved. More important, she enjoyed it so much that she wants to go to another one and shoot Rifleman.

We went to her parent's house for dinner Sunday night after the shoot and showed her father the poster the American side made after the events at Lexington and Concord. He sat and read the whole thing, after telling him about the shoot he said he wants to go to an Appleseed too   O0

That's all kinds of awesome right there  O0

AmbulanceDriver

That's awesome.  Glad you guys were able to make it, and look forward to seeing you out on the line again....    You know that next time you get to take an orange hat, right?   ;D  And nice job seventh stepping.   O0

modeler

Quote from: AmbulanceDriver on November 12, 2013, 01:43:55 AM

That's awesome.  Glad you guys were able to make it, and look forward to seeing you out on the line again....    You know that next time you get to take an orange hat, right?   ;D  And nice job seventh stepping.   O0

Maybe. If I do I'm making you change your forum name to "chairsitter" or "buttonpusher".

IrishSpartan

I had a great time!  Reminded me of the training I received in Basic Training, good memories.  Instructors did a great job and everything was well organized.  I really enjoyed the history that was included (or is it the shooting is included with the history ;) ).  It was exciting to make Rifleman and I look forward to more Appleseed events and improving my AQT score!

Now that I got bit by the bug again I would like to look into other shooting events to practice and improve upon the skills I learned this weekend.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
JOHN 3:16

George Hacker

Quote from: Secret_Squirrel on November 14, 2013, 09:09:39 PM
I had a great time!  Reminded me of the training I received in Basic Training, good memories.  Instructors did a great job and everything was well organized.  I really enjoyed the history that was included (or is it the shooting is included with the history ;) ).  It was exciting to make Rifleman and I look forward to more Appleseed events and improving my AQT score!

Now that I got bit by the bug again I would like to look into other shooting events to practice and improve upon the skills I learned this weekend.  Any suggestions?

I think the Ariel, WA shoot coming up next weekend has a couple spots open on the firing line on Sunday.  You can't register via Eventbrite because Saturday is sold out, but contact the shoot boss (Theophilus on the forums) and ask if you can walk on Sunday for a day of Appleseed fun.  Ariel is about an hour drive from Portland, Oregon.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Kimber Custom

Quote from: Secret_Squirrel on November 14, 2013, 09:09:39 PM

Thanks,

Glad you had a good time  O0

There are many competitions to consider: Adult/Junior small bore, CMP/Service Rifle and NRA High Power are common 'local' events. Then there are some specific annual events like Oregon Sniper Challenge. Douglas Ridge, Tri County and Clark all have events in these arenas.

I'm also working at bringing Ruger Rimfire Challenge to DRRC next year and while it is fun, fast competition, AS skills not required.

sheriff

Wanted to express my appreciation to the Appleseed folks for putting on a fine shoot. Being married for nearly 30 years and trying to teach my wife how to shoot has been difficult. We have attended our second Appleseed at Eagle Creek and one here at John Day. My wife has enjoyed both shoots and we have both learned tremendous skills on becoming better marksmen and riflemen. Thank you again for having us and passing on your knowledge.  @&) O0

Kimber Custom

Sheriff, it was an honor to have you on the line. I have admired your work getting OR non-resident permits for WA residents.  :bow:

And your bride was shooting well. 160-170's with stock Ruger sights if memory serves  :cool2:

The rumor mill says we may be working on a LE shoot out your way. I hope that comes to pass. I've been trying to break through Sheriff Brown out of Skamania county but not having much luck.

old codger

My first Appleseed and what a great day.   We were only able to participate on Saturday (The Lord reserved Sunday for Himself).
I have participated in a number of pistol competitions over my career as a LEO but I don't recall ever experencing so much safety conciousness.  No way an "accident" could have happened. 
The instructors and instuctors in training were terrific.  The NRA RSO were really on the ball.
The shoot was unusual.  The instruction was easily heard and understood.  I was particulatly impressed with the Revelutionary War stories and history. 
Thanks to all the staff and support staff and the other shooters for a remarkable day and thanks to the staff for catering to this old man. 
I am working to host a shoot in Junction City as soon as I can put it together. 
God bless you all and God bless America

Audrey

QuoteThe NRA RSO were really on the ball.
There aren't typically RSOs at Appleseeds. Some ranges require it, but Appleseed does not.

QuoteI am working to host a shoot in Junction City as soon as I can put it together.
We've had some shoots at Emerald City Range, outside Eugene. If you have a range that could host an Appleseed, PM Prescott. He's the Oregon state coordinator and has some paperwork the range has to agree to.