News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

SPICE Homeschool Shoot, Grand Junction, CO Nov. 1-2, 2013

Started by Prone to Knit, November 05, 2013, 06:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prone to Knit

We held a shoot for the SPICE Homeschool group in Grand Junction, CO November 1st and 2nd.

We did 2 one-day Appleseeds, splitting 134 students over the two days. The first day we ran a relay shoot for 74 people. On Saturday, the instructors had enough loaner rifles so everyone could shoot at the same time.

We taught the prone position all the way through NPOA and each day did a cookie shoot for prizes.

Thrivent Financial paid for the shoot, ammo and the range fees. Rebekah, of SPICE, did a phenomenal job organizing the event from her end. She also got prizes, water, coffee and hot chocolate donated (and now all those companies know of Appleseed). She found 15,000 rounds of ammo in about 3 weeks.

They ran an essay contest on liberty with the winner being awarded a pellet rifle.

A new record was set for Colorado:  our youngest student was 4!

We had the most unusual group of rifles we've ever seen:  lots of tube-fed rifles, Grandpa's guns, bolt action, single feed. A semi-automatic rifle was not the norm.

The group asked us to do more history so that's what they got - the strikes and lots of DOM/DOW stories each day. We had two new storytellers and they did a great job - one very passionate and one very engaging and funny.

This group wants us back to do a normal 2-day shoot for them. Another homeschool group wants us to go to their area to do a shoot. Several people said they'd be interested in instructing with us. We presented 3 new orange hats (J Frame, Covenanter, LeftyMcRighty). Someone from another range came to help and wants Appleseed at his range. Instructors and volunteers came from all over the state to help.

This was a fabulous event. Pictures to follow.
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org

Prone to Knit

All photos by COJeepGirl. Thanks, Shawna!
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

Prone to Knit

A few more.

Bullet

Wow. Looks like an epic event. I can only imagine the amount of planning and organization that went into making it such a success. Great work and I hope we can do similar things in other locations!
"Men do less than they ought unless they do all that they can." --Thomas Carlyle

"But we are not called to lives of prestige; we are called to lives of faithfulness. And sometimes faithfulness is just mundane and daily and ordinary and one foot in front of the other." --N. Adams

eaglescouter

Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Prone to Knit

Eaglescouter, she was being brilliant. She went to the big chain stores, told them of Appleseed and that we were doing a shoot for their homeschool group. They called her when shipments came in and some even held ammo aside for her to purchase.

Kim

Fred

Quote from: Prone to Knit on November 05, 2013, 08:03:37 PM
Eaglescouter, she was being brilliant. She went to the big chain stores, told them of Appleseed and that we were doing a shoot for their homeschool group. They called her when shipments came in and some even held ammo aside for her to purchase.

Kim

Now, why can't we do that? ::)

If you were to do it, do you mind if we attach the word "brilliant" to your forum name? :) O0

BTW, it doesn't need to be said, but what a great - GREAT! - event this was!!! Thanks for making it happen, CO guys! O0 :bow: O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Prone to Knit

After Rebekah did a great job of organizing this, it took a lot of people to run it. I'll give credit here:

J Frame
Black Powder
Massasauga
LeftyMcRighty
topcat
Covenanter
busywithfour
Pocketknife
Papa_Smith
Franktown_Kid
COJeepGirl
oneshot_onehole
Prone to Knit

Others:

Shane - owns the new range
Mike - soon to be an instructor

COJeepGirl

:pics:Everyone, I am truly humbled. Just about every homeschool event I help out with, I am surprised by the honesty of these kids. A young man , age 8 , was telling me about a hero he knew of during the battle of the Alamo. I can't remember the name, but the young shooter told me the whole story, and when I told him how amazed I was that he knew so much, he said, " Oh it's all in the library!" I am still speechless.
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot"-Mark Twain

Colorado Pete

"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper

TheDud

TaosGlock

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

George Hacker

Wow, what an outstanding event.  Well done, Colorado! O0
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."