News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Let's play..."Help me choose"

Started by mac66, November 05, 2013, 05:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac66

Here are the rules...

1. You have $5,000 in credit
2. You get to choose any firearms on the Ruger website up to the $5K.
3. You can't go over and you can't make up the difference.
3. You have to use the full retail/MSRP
4. Put together a gun package
5. You have to explain your choices

What would you choose?

Should be fun to see what people come up with and why?
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Superheat

13 of the LTRs you designed.  13.... one for each of the original colonies. 

SteelThunder

The answer is going top be highly dependent on how many guns you already have and where you interest lies. Me personally, I already have "a few" so my only wants would be the new SR762 (and I notice you specifically did not call dibs, so see my post below - ITB  :P ), a Safari type rifle in .300 H&H and any remaining money on as many of your your LTR designs as possible.

Since Ruger doesn't make any other firearms I don't already have or am interested in.
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Kosciusko

assuming the LTRs are in the $400 range

12 of those, and bunch of extra mags

If they are less, then 13 LTRs , extra mags

and a SR556 ,  and more 10/22 mags up to the limit

or you could throw some  Mark III .22LR pistols in there for next years' Appleseed Pistol Clinics

PM me and I'll give you the address of my FFL guy.  I'll pick them up for you and keep them safe.

You can visit them anytime.

Kosciusko

jmdavis

Gunsite Scout w/ extra mags KM77-GS   6822 $1099 High overall value, compact, hard hitting, good value.

SP101: 2" .357  KSP-331X   5719    $659  High quality, hard hitting, reliable, concealable, compact.

GP100 4" .357  KSP-341X    5771   $699 Full sized reliable hard hitting revolver.

GP100 4" .22lr KSP-242-8   5765    $699  Full sized .22 practice revolver. Makes a good kit gun.

22/45 P45GMK3RP   10150     $449 Threaded barrel semi-auto pistol

TOTAL:   $3605

3 or 4 10/22's

I would not go for one of the Ruger Semi Centerfires due to a high cost for performance. A standard AR would be under $1k street pricing or $1500 with a good optic such as Eotech, Aimpoint, or Leupold .223. The Ruger 5.56 has a list of $1995 and the 7.62 is $2195.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

fisherdawg

I would NOT choose the SR-762 until the VT model with the 22" barrel is available.  Unless you like LOUD and large clouds of dust generated by every shot in the prone....  Once the VT is available, I want one bad(ly). ;D  It would nicely complement my M1 in .308. ;D  I'm sure the SR-762 is a great rifle as Ruger's do tend to work, but it's a matter of the tool for the application....

fisherdawg

Quote from: mac66 on November 05, 2013, 05:25:24 PM
Here are the rules...

1. You have $5,000 in credit
2. You get to choose any firearms on the Ruger website up to the $5K.
3. You can't go over and you can't make up the difference.
3. You have to use the full retail/MSRP
4. Put together a gun package
5. You have to explain your choices

What would you choose?

Should be fun to see what people come up with and why?
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

mac66

I have an inquiry into Ruger to see if they wil let me buy my own rifle. Initially, the deal was pick $5K worth in the current catalog, get them before Christmas.  I am trying to defer the choice, at least some of the money, until my gun is ready.

Other random thoughts...

I have lots of AR15s so I don't need one. Could pick up a SR556 and sell one or two of my others so that I have a piston AR but I'm not really that interested in doing that.

SR762 is pretty cool and I could hunt with it and/or sell it for a decent price and get my wife a nice Christmas present. Of just pay all the taxes and fees on my "free" stuff.

One of my sons is pushing toward the 1911. I already have a couple which I think is his point. Buy the Ruger 1911 sell him one of my other 1911s.

The scout rifle would give me a tactical bolt action but then again I already have a smooth as silk Win Mod 70 bolt action 308 and a couple semi autos in 308. That bolt gun has taken lots and lots of deer. Don't see any reason to go all tactical. On the other hand, I could hunt with it and the GSR is pretty cool. I would never own one otherwise.

I already have a  44 mag and several .357s and .38s and .40s and 9mms. I have enough .22 rifles. Though a TD would be cool just to have. Leaning toward either a SR22 pistol w/threaded barrel or a 22/45 w/threaded barrel for future suppressor use.

Kinda always wanted a Bearcat single action when I was a kid. They stopped making them and then brought them back out. Kinda still want one just for the heck of it, they are a nice little trail gun. Have no real need or use for one though.

Seriously considering a couple LCPs for my wife and daughter to carry. Kinda interested in a LC9 just to have a pocket backup gun. My son in Chicago is working toward his FOID and concealed permit. I might get him something to carry in case that ever happens.

Kinda interesting in the LCR. I'm and old revolver guy so that little 38/357 revolver intrigues me particularly since I reload those calibers. I often still carry a little .38 when I don't carry a gun. ;)

Always wanted a Red Label Shotgun which they stopped making for awhile. Actually had a Win 101 back in the day when I was into trap shooting. Sold it when the kids and job took too much time. Then some jasper invented sporting clays and  :slap: I wish I still had it.  The RL was Just brought back this year. It would work well for clays. Pretty expensive though.

Still kinda conflicted what to get.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

ITB

I have nothing to offer, other than

DIBS ON BUYING THE SR762 FROM MAC

ETA - Ok, I'll add something constructive....

I had an LCP.  It's one of only two guns I've ever sold.  It was not very pleasant to shoot, and I also didn't like the very long, two-click trigger reset.  I would not recommend it for your wife or daughter.  You know me, I'm not recoil-averse  :---, but the LCP is a handful to shoot.  I think an SP101 shooting 38 or 38+p would be a much better choice.

"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

Superheat

If Mac gets multiple LTRs.  I got dibbs on buying the lowest serial number he is willing to sell. Obviously, to help pay taxes.

mac66

Oh my, this is going to be more difficult than I thought.  :-\
Ronald Reagan

DrRichP

Hi Mac-

My wife has the SP101 in .357 mag, and I can highly recommend it. She shoots mostly .38 special at the range with some .357, and loads it with .357 when she gets home.

If you have an inkling for a more Old West Single-Action style gun, the Ruger Vaquero is a great gun.

I would not recommend the LCP. If you really want a 380, buy a Kahr P380. Don't waste your time or money on the LCP.

I hope this helps.
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

Rocket Man

Paul Revere would follow his heart.  ;)  I think you already know what you want.

Quote from: mac66 on November 05, 2013, 08:37:26 PMKinda always wanted a Bearcat single action when I was a kid. They stopped making them and then brought them back out. Kinda still want one just for the heck of it, they are a nice little trail gun. Have no real need or use for one though.

[...]  Kinda interesting in the LCR. I'm and old revolver guy so that little 38/357 revolver intrigues me particularly since I reload those calibers. I often still carry a little .38 when I don't carry a gun. ;)

Always wanted a Red Label Shotgun which they stopped making for awhile. [...] The RL was Just brought back this year. It would work well for clays. Pretty expensive though.

I can't think of a good reason not to pick up a Bearcat and a Red Label (well, except that I like the Single Six better, but that's splitting hairs).  LCR is definitely an acquired taste but Ruger makes some darn fine other wheelguns.  There's Super Blackhawks in my future with any luck.

GSRs a good choice.  I see a lot of them for sale used, though.  Another option, if the long distance bug bites, is an M77 Target.  6.5 Creedmoor goodness, or .308 if you're consolidating calibers.  Didn't see a heavy target rifle in your existing battery.

And, of course, a stack of LTRs if they let you.  :D 

Feel free to ignore my advice, the only Ruger I personally own is a #1 (.45-70).   But your problem is a good one to have.  Congratulations on a well-executed and deserving design.   ^:)^
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Johnnyappleseed

At one time Ruger  made a very desirable side by side called a" gold label " price 2000
Next Ruger Alaskan revolver  in 480                                                             1200
LCR with crimson trace                                                                             560
Bolt gun m77 in 416                                                                                1200
Substitute the gold label for a red label over and under and add the break down 10/22 for my choices on 5000 to spend                               
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Bluesteel

I'm assuming based on what Ruger wrote concerning your winnings that your copy of your LTR is not part of the $5000 in Ruger gear.  Here's my wish list:

American rimfire $329
Gunsight scout 18" ss $1099
Mk III Target (512tg) pistol $509
1911 commander $829
SR762 $2199

Total: $4965

fisherdawg

I do like my LCR in 357 with the Crimson Trace grips.  O0 Generally run .38 +P and somewhat softer shooting that all steel snubbie because of the Polymer frame even though it's quite a bit lighter. Pretty good trigger for DA only and much nicer to shoot than the LCP or LC 9. Get the Big Dot sight and it's a very good BUG.  I've shot steel matches out to 35 yards with it. doable if you apply the fundamentals.... just MHO
fisherdawg ;D

Quote from: mac66 on November 05, 2013, 08:37:26 PM
I have an inquiry into Ruger to see if they wil let me buy my own rifle. Initially, the deal was pick $5K worth in the current catalog, get them before Christmas.  I am trying to defer the choice, at least some of the money, until my gun is ready.

Other random thoughts...

I have lots of AR15s so I don't need one. Could pick up a SR556 and sell one or two of my others so that I have a piston AR but I'm not really that interested in doing that.

SR762 is pretty cool and I could hunt with it and/or sell it for a decent price and get my wife a nice Christmas present. Of just pay all the taxes and fees on my "free" stuff.

One of my sons is pushing toward the 1911. I already have a couple which I think is his point. Buy the Ruger 1911 sell him one of my other 1911s.

The scout rifle would give me a tactical bolt action but then again I already have a smooth as silk Win Mod 70 bolt action 308 and a couple semi autos in 308. That bolt gun has taken lots and lots of deer. Don't see any reason to go all tactical. On the other hand, I could hunt with it and the GSR is pretty cool. I would never own one otherwise.

I already have a  44 mag and several .357s and .38s and .40s and 9mms. I have enough .22 rifles. Though a TD would be cool just to have. Leaning toward either a SR22 pistol w/threaded barrel or a 22/45 w/threaded barrel for future suppressor use.

Kinda always wanted a Bearcat single action when I was a kid. They stopped making them and then brought them back out. Kinda still want one just for the heck of it, they are a nice little trail gun. Have no real need or use for one though.

Seriously considering a couple LCPs for my wife and daughter to carry. Kinda interested in a LC9 just to have a pocket backup gun. My son in Chicago is working toward his FOID and concealed permit. I might get him something to carry in case that ever happens.

Kinda interesting in the LCR. I'm and old revolver guy so that little 38/357 revolver intrigues me particularly since I reload those calibers. I often still carry a little .38 when I don't carry a gun. ;)

Always wanted a Red Label Shotgun which they stopped making for awhile. Actually had a Win 101 back in the day when I was into trap shooting. Sold it when the kids and job took too much time. Then some jasper invented sporting clays and  :slap: I wish I still had it.  The RL was Just brought back this year. It would work well for clays. Pretty expensive though.

Still kinda conflicted what to get.
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

mac66

My head hurts.  %)

I may just decide to "punt" instead of trying to decide. Basically just buy two SR 762s which leaves me $610 to buy one other gun and some accessories. I then sell one of the 762s and use the money for other stuff (like taxes, fees, ammo etc).
Ronald Reagan

Mudcat

I like the GP100 and of course the Super Red Hawk but that is all want in their handgun line. The Scout rifle is a great concept and I like it a lot so add at least 1 of those. How about a mini 30 ranch rifle to carry around and shoot the 7.62x39 I have laying around. The rest if there was any I would go with LTRs.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

gonejohnny

Hey Mac,
Congrgat's on this by the way! I think I voted from like 300 different TOR servers via proxy one morning... Is Ruger going to run this as a modification 10/22 or run it as an entire new line? Serial# 00-0000001 would be pretty cool to have...

I've had one of those 556's once... Man that thing was H-E-A-V-Y... not to mention L-O-U-D... AND dusty... BUT it shot CLEAN as can be and was pretty darn accurate. Cost way too much dough though IMHO.

Currently have one of the GSR's too... I think I like the idea way more than the rifle... Bolt is waaay sticky (Mauser action)... Have to keep downward pressure on the way back in or it will stick like a brick... Also later realized that the lugs weren't anywhere near trued up... Some lapping compound helped that out a bit... Now I just need to tune some ammo for it... However, people LOVE these rifles... YMMV as mine has been finicky from the start (but I did get one of the first runs... Heard they worked out some of the kinks since then)... Also... I kinda can't help myself in wanting to pound on rapids with any rifle... Thin barrel and all, I really can't get it to hold much more than 6 to 8-minutes once it gets going... It really was designed as a 2-shot rifle. The Ching setup is excellent. There are many guys out there that do it. This one is from Andy's Leather... Here are some pics:

The Scout:

Other than that... Those Blackhawks are nice! They got any .44's from the 60's laying around?

BOOM! *shudder... shudder*

Hope this helps!
Good Luck & Favor Center!
- GoneJohnny

Charles McKinley

Bear Cat Shop Keeper no price listed guess 700+ ITS CUTE!
2 left handed bolts GSR 18" stainless (daughter wants to shoot with dominant eye Gee, son very left dominant) 2200
Red Lable 1400  It would make a great bribe to my gunsmith to take me on as an apprentice! >:D
American rimfire 325
Compact 10/22 330 it is the colsest to using up the $$$ without going over.  ;D

This is assuming you can't get your rifle.  :(

Total $4955
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

mac66

I don't have anything to hunt elephants with but I'm pretty well covered otherwise.  ;)

For the last couple years I was in a self imposed  'one in one out' mode, i.e., if I get something new, I gotta get rid of something. That hasn't worked out very well however.   ^-^ I'm going to have to start looking at what I can get rid up to make room for new stuff.

I do get one of my rifles over and above the 5K. I suspect it won't have a special serial number but just use receivers off their main line. I also suspect that all 10/22s made in 2014 may have a roll mark on them that says was made during the 50th Anniversary Year. Or maybe a medallion in the stock or something. Just speculation on my part however.
Ronald Reagan