News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Lapeer Nov 15-16

Started by Tbear, November 02, 2013, 08:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tbear

Can people please answer some basic questions about Lapeer? Basically just looking for the best places for lodging, eating, grabbing an adult beverage after the guns have been put away for the day. Also, does LPSC allow smoking?

ITB

The club is between Lapeer and Imlay City.  It's about eight miles to either town from the club.  Lapeer, being the larger of the two, has a much better selection of hotels, restaurants and pubs.  One of the more local instructors can probably provide more specifics.

The club does allow smoking, but outdoors only.  You'll have to walk through the pistol building to grab a smoke out in the parking lot.
"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

Roundballer

intheburbs is dead on with the distances.  It is 8.1 miles from my house (in Imlay City) to the club, and 7.9 miles from the club to Lapeer.  And it is 13 miles from my house to Wal*mart at the east edge of Lapeer, with the club being on a line 1 mile north of the line between the cities.

Imlay City has a Super 8 and a Days Inn, along with the normal assortment of the fast food chains.  MacDonalds', Burger King Wendys'/Tim Hortons', Subway, and Big Boy.  There are only three others that I have any recommendation for, and that would be Nachos Taco House, Lucky's Steakhouse and the Pizza Machine.  The Pizza Machine has very little seating, it is mostly carry out.

Lapeer has a larger selection of the regular restaurants, and has a Best Western, and a Holiday Inn Express, along with the same sort of assortment of fast food places.

In both cities, the motels are just a stones' throw apart from each other.

No recommendation on the libation.  I don't drink that much, so it is limited to picking something up on the way home, or if I am at the club, it is just a matter of fishing the right set of keys out of the pockets, but I can't extend that to the general public.

There is also this link:  http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-location.php?locationid=62

For lunches, there is a party store about 1.3 miles east of the club, subs, pizza slices, pizza ordered/pick-up, sandwiches, chips, etc.  But you might be a little time limited for that.

And you don't have to go into the parking lot to smoke, just out on the front porch will do.  Just no smoking in the buildings or within 10 feet of a reenactor while he is carrying a horn full of powder.  Just wait till he sets the powder off somewhere and join him for a smoke.

Tbear

Thanks for the information. I usually dont plan trips unless I know where I am gonna to be sleeping at. I wanted to get the incidentals out of the way so I can concentrate on my lack of shooting and planning to get better. Already have the rifle ready (sling mounts, tech sights, and zeroed in) 1200 rounds of ammo, and the other stuff (ie shooting mat, staple gun, ears and eyes, etc). I guess food and water can be picked up along the way. I cant wait until the 15th.

Bluesteel

Just to clarify, the dates are Nov 16-17.   I'll be there and look forward to helping you!  You'll want to pack a lunch for each day.

Tbear

Youre right, I got the date wrong. My plans include checking into my hotel on the 15th so I dont have to a 2 hour drive early in the morning.

Pitmaster

QuoteLucky's Steakhouse and

I stayed at the Holiday Inn right next to Lucky's Steakhouse. Steaks were great as was the Holiday Inn.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member