News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Fredericksburg Appleseed Questions

Started by PaleRider, October 30, 2013, 06:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaleRider

I'm going to attend an Appleseed in Fredericksburg TX in early December. I have a couple of questions about rifles. I've been reading that we can (or maybe should) bring a rimfire for the first day and a centerfire for the second day. First, I would like to bring my Mossberg 817 bolt-action .17 HMR for the morning session. It only has 5-round mags, though. Is that combined with my bolt gun something I can get away with? If so, how many mags should I have for that gun?

Next, I have an AR-15 I'd like to use for the second day. I've also been reading that 30-round mags may interfere with some shooting positions. Well, since I live here in Texas, I'm never going to buy a smaller mag for that weapon :). Can I get away with the 30-round mags?
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him." Rev 6:8

scuzzy

Quote from: HMRCroz on October 30, 2013, 06:05:36 PM
I'm going to attend an Appleseed in Fredericksburg TX in early December. I have a couple of questions about rifles. I've been reading that we can (or maybe should) bring a rimfire for the first day and a centerfire for the second day. First, I would like to bring my Mossberg 817 bolt-action .17 HMR for the morning session. It only has 5-round mags, though. Is that combined with my bolt gun something I can get away with? If so, how many mags should I have for that gun?

Most of Saturday will be spent learning marksmanship skills. So your rimfire will be OK. You can work it with 5 round mags no problem. Two mags would be good since we teach transitions with mag changes.

Next, I have an AR-15 I'd like to use for the second day. I've also been reading that 30-round mags may interfere with some shooting positions. Well, since I live here in Texas, I'm never going to by a smaller mag for that weapon :) . Can I get away with the 30-round mags?

30 round mags are not a problem. I use them all the time myself.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

PaleRider

"And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him." Rev 6:8