News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

**UPDATE-AGAIN**How do you work an Appleseed shoot around church services?

Started by topper, October 22, 2013, 07:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

topper

I'd like to help coordinate an AS shoot spring 2014 with my church.

I believe there is a good amount of interest in talking with folks that I've shared my AS experience with. The only real obstacle is not being able to promote an activity that will compete with regular church service times. -Sunday morning-

Surely this has come up before. I can think of a couple ways around this but would appreciate any input.

It's likely we could host our own event on private property in rural NW Ohio

Thank you

slim

If your group wants a private Appleseed, sans Sunday morning, we could simply start after lunch on Sunday. My first Appleseed was that way and there are several ranges around the country where we can't shoot until after church hours. You can also just tell your Shoot Boss, "I'm going to church. I'll be here when we're done."

Another common remedy for missing church is to bring church to the range. We can't officially have a service (non-profit and all) but if folks want to have a service before the Appleseed starts, that's just fine.

I encourage you to talk to our State Coordinator, Ratchett, and I can guarantee you we'll sort this out.

Stuart McKim

Another option is a Friday and Saturday event, so Sunday isn't affected at all. Of course, this works better if school is already out for summer or are homeschoolers.
"Good positions mean good scores. Poor positions mean poor scores. It's as easy as that." - Rifle Marksmanship with the M1 Rifle (1943)

TimBeatty

Do some one day events on Saturday. Call them either Day 1 or Day 2 Appleseed events.
Tim Beatty

Corvette

If the range is close to the church, there should be no problem with a "post church" Sunday.  Most of the instructions and heritage lectures occur on Saturday and if you shoot a few less AQTs on Sunday, that is no big deal.  Please go forward with the recruitment of shooters and rest assured that we will accommodate what ever schedule changes are needed to allow your shooters to attend church. Many of the instructors and IITs will probably join you for services.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

FiremanBob

My club has an agreement with the church across the road, that we will not do any shooting before 1:30 pm on Sunday. We start the morning with the Second Strike, discuss/show KD on the 100 yard range (in a limited way) and do some dry-fire exercises, then do lunch and the Third Strike and DOM.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Ratchett

Topper,

We have done Sunday a multitude of ways, from no services to a full service by ministers who are members of the range where we are that weekend. I actually start my Sunday mornings with historical accounts of the Great Awaking and the Black Robe Regiment.

There is also a minister, Hombre Liggett, who does an excellent historical sermon as well as it is the duty for Christians to be involved in government. He will also explain that the 501c3 status is used as a scare tactic for churches and organizations... His sermons are factual and powerful. He is from the Dover Oh area.

It is really how you would want to handle the service and your members would want to handle. It is not impossible to do a Friday/ Saturday shot either, if we know well in advance and can have enough instructors.

We can be creative  ;)

In His grip,
julia (aka ratchett)
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

TomM1Thumb

" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Charles McKinley

If you are close to the PA side I can help with a Friday Saturday shoot.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Brown

We have done 3 private events with our church group. All 3 of them were 1 day Appleseed events on all day Saturday . makes for some fun conversation Sunday Morning in Church ;)
I have noticed you get things done and I respect that-SPQR

topper

I appreciate the replies and willingness to accommodate for our needs. Frankly I'm not surprised.  :)

I will proceed on my end and seek approval from the Church board and get rolling after that.

Our church has an American Heritage Girls program and will be kicking off a brand new Trail Life club the first of the year as a replacement of the BSA troop.

I'm expecting a lot of interest. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks a lot!

Topper

Charles McKinley

Get in with the American Heritage Girls and the Trail of Life leadership to accept AS for their badge requirements.  The BSA only accepts NRA instructors.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

topper

The Church board has approved offering an Appleseed weekend. Yeah!

I'm open to input from anyone willing to help me out with this.
Here's what is on my mind at this time.

Date: Mid June
Friday night primitive tent/camper camping available
-Pond fishing
-Campfire
-Guest Speaker (The Great Awakening)?
-Appleseed sign in
-Some introduction/instruction from AS Instructors

Saturday:
-Appleseed crew takes over
-Grilled lunch could be made available by the American Heritage Girls/Trail Life Boys. Free will donation

Sunday:
-Most of the attendees will be attending Church. We'd love for the instructors join us.
-First service 8:00 AM-Sunday School 9:30 AM-Second service 10:45 AM
-Folks start gathering back at range from 10:30 AM to 12:00 noon
-Appleseed crew takes us through the afternoon

The range is located in ZIP 43532 located about 2 miles from the church. This is private property owned by a church member. I believe it will be suitable for an Appleseed shoot in regards to safety and space. Depending on the crops being planted and time of year this location will also offer an opportunity at some long range targets.

This is where I'm at for now.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks, Topper

Unbridled Liberty

This is fantastic Topper!  Thanks for sharing.  I'm going to steal it.  I didn't know you are near Napolean.  I lived in Defiance for 12 years before moving to Kentucky.  I know somebody who knows a thing or two about the Great Awakening.  ;)

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Unbridled Liberty

Topper,

Last night I heard Don Pinson from Heritage Ministries speak at a church in Kentucky.  He started with the Pilgrims coming to America and went through the Great Awakening.  Excellent Biblical teaching!  This would be a great Friday night lead-in to the Three Strikes on Saturday.  I don't know if he would travel up to northwest Ohio, but it wouldn't hurt to ask him.  He had an advisory role in the Kirk Cameron movie "Monumental" and has also authored some books.

http://heritageministriesky.com/

Please let me know when this shoot is on the schedule, as I would like to come and help if I am able.

UL
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Cadence

Let me know when you get a firm date as I live close to your zip code and would be willing to help out.
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

topper

Really appreciate the help and ideas from all of you.

Currently the date will be June 20/21/22

Hopefully Thanksgiving weekend I can get some photos and dimensions of the range area.

Thanks again.

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: topper on November 24, 2013, 09:32:31 AM
Really appreciate the help and ideas from all of you.

Currently the date will be June 20/21/22

Hopefully Thanksgiving weekend I can get some photos and dimensions of the range area.

Thanks again.

Count me in.  I have it on my calendar.

UL
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

topper

A couple (more) questions.

1. Is there a point where I officially ask Appleseed Inc. for permission to proceed?

2. Where does printed promotional material come from? I've noticed some links that can be printed from home. If that's it, I got it.

In March 2014 our Church will host a weekend mens conference with an expected attendance of  100-200 men. There will be a welcome packet handed out to every attendee. I plan to include a flyer promoting our upcoming June event in this packet and also give a quick verbal invitation.

3. In light of the 100-200 men to be invited at the conference and the host Church having a congregation of 300-400 people there is a possibility 1 shoot will not be sufficient.

What is the target number of students Appleseed Instructors want in a class?

That's all for now. Here is a link to our Church website. http://www.shilohchristianunion.org/

Thanks

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: topper on November 25, 2013, 12:42:21 PM

1. Is there a point where I officially ask Appleseed Inc. for permission to proceed?

2. Where does printed promotional material come from? I've noticed some links that can be printed from home. If that's it, I got it.

In March 2014 our Church will host a weekend mens conference with an expected attendance of  100-200 men. There will be a welcome packet handed out to every attendee. I plan to include a flyer promoting our upcoming June event in this packet and also give a quick verbal invitation.

3. In light of the 100-200 men to be invited at the conference and the host Church having a congregation of 300-400 people there is a possibility 1 shoot will not be sufficient.

That's all for now. Here is a link to our Church website. http://www.shilohchristianunion.org/

Thanks

Your illustrious state coordinator, Ratchett, can help you with all these things.

UL
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

topper

OK, sounds good. I'll wait to hear from Ratchett.

By the way Ratchett, I heard on good authority you were to go to person to Shoot Boss this event.

Is that true? Are you in?

topper

Here's a couple photos of the range area.

First photo is from the firing line shooting into the hill. Hill is approx 8'-12' tall facing West.

Second photo is taken from behind the 8'-12' hill showing another 8'-12' hill behind it maybe 400 yards in the field still facing West.

I stepped off the distance from the edge of the pond (on the right out of the pic) to the South (left in pic) to be approx 120'

Pics didn't post exactly how I'd hoped but you can see the space pretty well I think.

Unbridled Liberty

That's pretty hilly for northwest Ohio!  In the first picture, what is the distance from where you are standing to the hill?  Is this going to be rimfire only or were you wanting to also allow centerfires?

UL
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

topper

Yes, hills are far and few between in this part of the state.

I'd guess 75 yards with more space behind in the first pic and I think we can squeeze out close to 500 yards in the second pic.

Centerfire should not be a problem.

Unbridled Liberty

We will want to move up to within about 25 meters of the hill.  Is ponding an issue there when it rains?  Hopefully it is well tiled and drains into the pond.  What about parking?  What about parking if it rains?  How far from the parking area to the firing line?  What will be growing there in June?

UL
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: topper on November 25, 2013, 12:42:21 PM

Thanks

Topper and I have been in PM discussion about this, but for the benefit of others... I am helping organize this for Ratchett.

1.  It ain't official until the paperwork is turned in.  The host app can be downloaded from here:  http://www.appleseedinfo.org/host_appleseed.html

2.  Once the event is on the schedule I will make sure you get you some posters, fliers and trifolds.

3.  Target number of students?  Ha Ha.  Good pun.   I like to have about 3.5'-4' of firing line per shooter.  To give you an idea, in Kentucky we are averaging 11 shooters per event, and 25 shooters would be big news.  If you could get 50, well that would be huge IMO.  Ratchett will make the call on the total.  You also may get a bunch of people who want to hear the story, but don't really want to shoot.  If that is the case, maybe we could run a LibertySeed indoors (in the church?) along with the Appleseed going on at this farm.

UL
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

topper

Quote from: Unbridled Liberty on December 06, 2013, 11:53:48 PM
We will want to move up to within about 25 meters of the hill.  Is ponding an issue there when it rains?  Hopefully it is well tiled and drains into the pond.  What about parking?  What about parking if it rains?  How far from the parking area to the firing line?  What will be growing there in June?

UL

1. This area is all sandy soil and drains pretty quickly. Unless we are in the middle of a down pour we shouldn't be laying in water.

2. Parking will be on a stone lot at the top of the hill on the other side of the pond. It's the barn yard around the house and barns. Plenty of parking with in 100 yards of range area rain or shine.

3. Crops. The first strip along the edge of the pond is grass for 50'-75'?. Farther left (as facing down range) away from the pond is a section set aside as a filter strip. No "crops" are planted there to harvest. The long distance range was planted to corn this year. I'm assuming it will be soy beans this year, but that is an assumption. If it is beans they will be short enough to easily shoot over.

grunt soldier

If you get those flyers in the hand out this could be a very nice shoot. I will be checking my calendar in hopes of attending.
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

topper

Registration is open for this shoot!  :~

Thank you to UL and Cadence for putting up with me this far.  :)