News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Mark your calendars! The Michigan IBC will be in Lansing on Jan 25-26, 2014!

Started by ITB, October 19, 2013, 06:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITB

The Michigan IBC will be held on January 25-26, 2014 at the Capital Area Sportsmen's League in Lansing, MI.  Snow date is February 1-2, 2014; a snow-out decision will be made by Thursday, 1/23 at 6 PM.

Capital Area Sportsmen's League
7534 Old River Trail  Lansing, MI 48917
GPS: N 42° 45' 45.63"     W 84° 39' 42.45"
Click here for directions or more information about the Capital Area Sportsmen's League

Anyone who wears an RWVA hat is invited to attend.  Anyone who might be interested in wearing one of those funny-looking RWVA hats is welcome to attend, but please PM me so we can discuss.

Attendance is strongly encouraged.  Aw, heck, let's just say attendance is mandatory.   ~~:)  If you are unable to attend, please PM me to work out alternate arrangements.

As of this writing we have 58 instructors and 13 Applecore.  WOW!!  We're going to be a large group.  (We had a total of 8 instructors in January, 2011!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Register, you just need to send two PMs:

First PM to intheburbs and Superheat, stating 1) Whether or not you'll be attending and how many people  2) When you plan to arrive 3) If you intend to participate in the Friday evening medical training.  This will allow us to plan for materials and attendance. 

Second PM to Rascal21 as to what meals you will be present for, and/or if you'll be bringing your own food, so she can plan accordingly.

Please RSVP (that's redundant, isn't it?) by November 20  :P .  Otherwise, you will be subject to merciless harassment.  %)

Times:
   Friday (optional) - Club will be open to attendees starting at 2 PM.  Optional medical training course will take place from 6 PM to 9 PM.
   Saturday - 8 AM until bed time (if you're arriving Saturday morning, please plan to arrive no later than 7:30 AM)
   Sunday - 8 AM to 5 PM

Meals: 
   Friday (optional) - freeform, TBD (everyone pays their own way)
   Saturday - breakfast, lunch, dinner
   Sunday - breakfast, lunch

Cost: $30 - which includes $25 to cover meals, snacks and water for the weekend, and "range fee" of $5 for CASL for the use of their banquet hall.  We're trying to keep the cost of the medical training at $0, but there may be a small fee involved.  Stay tuned.

Click here for directions or more information about the Capital Area Sportsmen's League

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is an IBC?  An IBC is an intense, drinking-from-the-firehose, weekend of interactive classwork (indoors, all weekend), where all instructors will get plenty of hands-on instruction and mentoring, while building friendships and camaraderie.   You shouldn't have any fear/trepidation about attending.  Bring the skills you have, and be ready to learn.  You WILL learn a lot, and have fun.

Blue Hats - get to know the instructor corps, see what goes on "behind the scenes," learn how to help run a safe event

Orange Hats - this is a great way to get a leg up for 2014.  You'll have ample opportunities to practice and polish your points of instruction, safety, and history skills.

Red Hats - we need you!  Our ideal ratio is 1 Red Hat for every 2 Orange Hats.  Plus, this event will help to shake out the winter cobwebs that may have grown on your perishable skills.

Shoot Bosses - we don't need you!  You already know everything, right?   &)   Just kidding - ALL Shoot Bosses should be at this event.  This may be the only time we have such a large gathering of our cadre, and it's a great opportunity to make friends, build our team and relationships, and mentor.

Some logistical details:

-We will be in the main hall (it seats 250 people, so we'll have plenty of room).  Please plan to sleep at the club (Ladies will probably have separate quarters).

-There will be no shooting, but there will be rifle familiarization - AR15, M1 Garand, M1A, AK, 10/22, 597 and 795.  A basic 10/22 gunsmithing/assembly/disassembly class will also be given - bring your own 10/22 if you'll be participating.

What should you bring?  Well, in addition to your personal items for spending an overnight, please bring:

• A teachable attitude.  Have the sponge damp, and wrung out, ready to ABSORB!
  • any teaching materials you normally bring to an AS
  • The instructor manual
  • A notebook or pad of paper and pens/pencils
  • A dummy rifle, if you have one
  • your copy of Paul Revere's Ride
  • your 10/22 if you're participating in the 10/22 class
  • A memory stick if you want electronic copies of our files
  • A video camera to record yourself in the breakout sessions

How should you prepare?

Blue Hats:

Orange Hats:

Red Hats:

• Be ready to discuss all aspects of the history - prelims, strikes, DOMs, etc
  • Read the current Instructor Manual - click HERE to download a pdf of the current manual
  • You will be running/assisting in the breakout sessions. PMs with details will be forthcoming
  • You have no need for that cheat sheet, right?   :cool2:
  • Make sure your POIs are sharp - it's the middle of winter, you may have atrophied a bit

Shoot Bosses:

• Be ready to discuss all aspects of the history - prelims, strikes, DOMs, etc
  • Read the current Instructor Manual - click HERE to download a pdf of the current manual
  • Read the current Shoot Boss Manual - click HERE to download a pdf of the current manual
  • You will be running the breakout sessions - both POIs and history. PMs with details will be forthcoming
  • I don't even need to mention the cheat sheet, right?    &)
  • Each of you will be teaching at least one POI for the entire group.  Again, PM with assignments will be forthcoming

Basic Agenda:

• Friday evening - (attendance optional) Basic medical training - no certifications will be given out, just basic stuff that you'll likely encounter at an event, from deyhdration and hypo/hyperthermia, up to and including gunshot wounds
  • Saturday - POI and history breakouts all day, effective public speaking presented by Graywolf
  • Sunday - Rifle familiarization, 10/22 class, LibertySeeds, troubleshooting, mock Appleseed, KD

Food, snacks, water and coffee will be provided, but feel free to bring your own if you have special dietary requirements.  Please - no alcoholic beverages!

Border raiders are more than welcome to attend.  Lansing is right in the middle of the state, 80 miles up I-69 from the Indiana state line, and only 120 miles from where US23 crosses the Ohio state line near Toledo.

Our mission is serious: the urgency of saving the country, and everyone's safety at our events.  That being said, if you're not having fun doing this, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

Please check in here occasionally for updates.  Thanks!  We'll see you all in January!

Click here to read the IAAR from last year's IBC - http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=33637.0

A pic of our crew from last year:

PS - on a personal note, I have room for 3-4 people in The Beast, if anyone wants to carpool from my house.  I plan to leave my house around 2 PM Friday.  I'm also taking the DAT, so there's plenty of room for gear.

Aerial map - showing where we'll be:

"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

slim

Pitmaster

Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

SteelThunder

NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Oz

Quote from: Pitmaster on October 20, 2013, 10:07:58 PM
I'm in for the weekend, pm sent. You want butts or briskets?

(Brief pause in smacking lips at the memory of the copious amounts of 'cue and sauce devoured at this weekend's Niles shoot.)

Listen to your heart.

(Resume smacking lips.).   O0  :bow:
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

Pitmaster

Any updates on attendance numbers. I hope itb doesn't have to start flogging the instructor corps. ~~:) ~~:)
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

Rascal21

In answer Pit, I only have 15 people who say they want food! guess you won't have too much work to do on the butt/brisket....

Oz

15 out of 70ish?  With brisket?

(Tap tap tap)

Is this here electronic message board thingie working?   ???
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

slim

I did not follow the directions for signing up  :slap:... but did come back here to check for updates. I'll go ahead and send the PMs now.

Anybody need a ride from Cincinnati?

Modified to add - It's quite possible there were no directions for signing up when I originally replied so maybe I'm not as bad at following directions as my wife says I am!

mac66

So,  any east side Macomb area people want to ride together to this?  PM me
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

D.S.S.

There was a request for my wife to bring her embroidery machine to the IBC.  She said that she can be there for Saturday.  If you have a hat (embroidery on sides and rear only), any kind of shirt, jacket, sling, shooting mat or anything else you'd like to have your name placed on, bring it along and Tina can make it happen.  She has a book of the different fonts available (over 100) and she has many colors of thread to choose from.  It's a great way to customize and/or personalize your stuff.  It really helps in identifying loaned shooting mats and slings!  Tina will have a price guide and prices are very reasonable.  Cash or check only.  Thanks all.

DSS
"Somehow, it is OK for little Johnny to shoot and kill in a gory bloody mess aliens and humans alike, but it is absolutely evil to actually shoot at a paper target at a range."  --Marco Vorobiev

The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time.  If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never was and never will be.  --Thomas Jefferson

Aim small...miss small! --The Patriot (movie)

ITB

Quote from: mac66 on January 11, 2014, 10:04:56 AM
So,  any east side Macomb area people want to ride together to this?  PM me

I've got room in the Burb, if anyone wants to drive to my house.  It's a 6-seater, so I have 2 first-class seats and two business-class seats available.  I'm also dragging the DAT, so I have plenty of room for gear.

I plan to head out on Friday ~2-3 PM.

BTW - we're over 50 on the headcount, so it'll be another HUGE event!!!
"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

Oz

Among folks who are arriving for the medical training Friday--I understand dinner is on our own.  Are folks planning on showing up with full tummies, bringing food & eating informally at the club while we get ready for the 6PM start, meeting at the club and & bolting out for dinner before class...?

― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Rascal21

Oz, didn't you get the notice??? we drafted you to feed us all at the training.... O0

We are planning on eating before we get there.

Oz

Quote from: Rascal21 on January 22, 2014, 03:03:06 PM
Oz, didn't you get the notice??? we drafted you to feed us all at the training.... O0

We are planning on eating before we get there.

Awesome!  Give me a place to stand and a large enough pot and I can feed the world. 

― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

ITB

I was leaning towards something like a pizza delivery/takeout.  I'll be there around 2, so as folks start to filter in, we can figure out what we want to do.  We're right in the middle of the suburbs, lots of options.

slim

GoldFish and I should be there around 5:00 PM. We can chip in on pizza. Though you don't want to buy GoldFish's pizza. That boy can eat!  :slap:

ITB

Quote from: Oz on January 22, 2014, 06:55:34 PMAwesome!  Give me a place to stand and a large enough pot and I can feed the world.

Man, you really are a geek, aren't you?  First, you pick up on Steel's obscure MP reference, now you're quoting Archimedes. 

Oz

Quote from: intheburbs on January 23, 2014, 04:04:22 AM
Quote from: Oz on January 22, 2014, 06:55:34 PMAwesome!  Give me a place to stand and a large enough pot and I can feed the world.

Man, you really are a geek, aren't you?  First, you pick up on Steel's obscure MP reference, now you're quoting Archimedes.

It's a startlingly well-informed crowd.  Been working on college applicant interviews for the last week and I'm in the zone--thank goodness I never knew the words to "Fair Harvard" or I might have worked in a reference...doh!

― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

SteelThunder

Levers are so 250 BC.  It's all ball bearings these days...

Quote from: Oz on January 23, 2014, 06:07:16 AM
Quote from: intheburbs on January 23, 2014, 04:04:22 AM

It's a startlingly well-informed crowd.  Been working on college applicant interviews for the last week and I'm in the zone--thank goodness I never knew the words to "Fair Harvard" or I might have worked in a reference...doh!

Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Pitmaster

Just an update, but the meat won't be BBQ'd. Unfortunately, the cold temperatures and wind chill factors the past week have prevented the use of either of my smokers.  :wb: :wb: So it looks like the pork is going to go in the oven. :(
Pitmaster

NRA Endowment Member

Caliper

Hot pork butt (or brisket, there is still brisket, right?) is good no matter how it is cooked! 

SteelThunder

Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

GoldFish

Quote from: Pitmaster on January 23, 2014, 10:56:29 AM
Just an update, but the meat won't be BBQ'd. Unfortunately, the cold temperatures and wind chill factors the past week have prevented the use of either of my smokers.  :wb: :wb: So it looks like the pork is going to go in the oven. :(

:'(  Are you saying I should stay home this weekend? ;D
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Rascal21

absolutely not!  ???

I am sure the Pit has something up his sleeve to make the fare palatable  **)

I have never had a bad meal that Pit cooked, it's all been absolutely wonderful.

Quote from: GoldFish on January 23, 2014, 01:20:01 PM

:'(  Are you saying I should stay home this weekend?

Caliper

Meat = good.  :) Meat + Pitmaster = better!   ^:)^

Hey, is there time for a small swap meet Fri or Sat night? 

Superheat

Quote from: Caliper on January 23, 2014, 01:31:11 PM

Extra time?  LOL  Surely you jest.  This is and ITB IBC.  NO down time.  Fire hose full blast.

GoldFish

Yeah, I was joking, but that's what I wanted to hear. O0  I've NEVER been to an IBC where the food isn't amazing.

Quote from: Rascal21 on January 23, 2014, 01:23:33 PM
absolutely not!  ???

I am sure the Pit has something up his sleeve to make the fare palatable  **)

I have never had a bad meal that Pit cooked, it's all been absolutely wonderful.

Quote from: GoldFish on January 23, 2014, 01:20:01 PM

:'(  Are you saying I should stay home this weekend?
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

SteelThunder

Quote from: Caliper on January 23, 2014, 01:31:11 PM
Meat = good.  :) Meat + Pitmaster = better!   ^:)^

Actually glad you mentioned that.  I've got a bunch of AR15 mags, 2 AR15 polymer stripped lower receivers and assorted tacticool equipment to sell.
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

Pitmaster

Pitmaster

NRA Endowment Member