News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Need a Appleseed Pistol Clinic recommendation.

Started by dinoatlas, October 15, 2013, 05:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinoatlas

Hello all,

I earned my Rifleman's badge a year ago, and I have been trying to recruit all of my friends to check out Appleseed ever since.

I logged into the Appleseed calendar yesterday for the first time in quite a while and was really excited to see that you are offering Appleseed Pistol Clinic training now! Woo-Hoo!!! So, I would really like to come out for the November class, but...I don't have a .22 pistol (and I am too cheap to bring my 9mm).

So, am asking for a recommendation for a reasonably priced .22 pistol. I know "reasonably priced" is very subjective...maybe $250 or less? What have others brought out for Appleseed Pistol Clinic days? Is there (or will there be) a Liberty Training Pistol?

Thanks,

Dino

hawkeye

I just got a GSG 1911-22 for about $400.00 out the door most 1911 parts will fit this pistol. If you go into a store that has GSG firearms try not to look at the .22 STG 44 , that followed me home too. I've seen P22s ,Ruger MK II,III,IVs, Colt woodsman, Brownings,Highstandards etc... at the range I'm not sure about one around $250.00 ,Maybe find a deal in your area,or you could arrange for a loaner from and instructor or friend that has one. You might find a .22 slide for your 9mm if they make one. Walmart has the cheapest 9mm around here. Steve
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

mtmisfit

Its really hard to beat the Ruger MK 2 or 3, or the Browning Buckmark.

4 inch if you're using optics, 6 inch for irons.
"Count it the greatest sin to prefer life to honor, and for the sake of living to lose what makes life worth having."

"Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

".. You MUST learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself..."

"central planning cannot work because it is trying to substitute an individual all-knowing intelligence for a distributed and fragmented system of localized but connected knowledge."

"Process and Procedure are the last hiding place of people without the wit and wisdom to do their job properly."

malabar

Very hard to find something for less than $400 new, but you can come across som bargains.  One of the best is the S&W 22A, which can be head in the $300 range.

Ruger's price for instructors on their 22/45 is $235.  That's as cheap as you'll get. Their SR22 is $265, factory direct.

if you like gourmet guns, the old High Standards and Colt Woodsmans were things of beauty (and the Browning Medalist was a work of art). And there's always the S&W 41 and the 617. 

Would not recommend the SIG Mosquito or the Walther P22.  Some folks have had real good luck with them, but many have not. 
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

ThaiFighter

assuming I can make it out for the Nov event.  I have a Ruger MkIII  .22  you are welcome to use.  It's not the easisest to perform fast mag changes, but it shoots like a dream... 
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

slim

Borrowing is the way to go until you figure out what you want. Don't be scared to take folks up on their loan offers. Using someone's pistol will really let you see what you like and what you don't.

I have a Walther P-22 that I absolutely love. I recently ran it through a combat pistol course and it was great.

floydf

Quote from: malabar on October 15, 2013, 07:02:24 PM
if you like gourmet guns, the old High Standards and Colt Woodsmans were things of beauty (and the Browning Medalist was a work of art). And there's always the S&W 41 and the 617. 

Don't forget the Baretta Cheetah.  It is a real pistol.  But not cheap!  I like mine.
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

malabar

Quote from: floydf on October 15, 2013, 11:42:49 PM
Quote from: malabar on October 15, 2013, 07:02:24 PM

Don't forget the Baretta Cheetah.  It is a real pistol.  But not cheap!  I like mine.

You're right, very nice line of pistols. hard to find in my area.

Beretta is very underappreciated, IMO.  I have an old 70s that is just a beautiful little pistol and extremely reliable. sights are kinda small though.

tk

The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

Twineagles

As you look at pistols look at cost of mags and availability. Do they make a conversion kit for your 9 MM? That way you get the best of both worlds.

Mike
Every time I teach a class, I discover I don�t know something - Clint Smith

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. � John Wayne

FiremanBob

Beretta Neos is at most shops for about $250 - except Gander Mountain, where I saw it priced at $275 yesterday. I don't see how that chain sells anything at their prices.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

saltypaws

Love my Ruger SR22. It has been happy happy happy with all the different types of ammo I have fed it so far. Including some 25 year old Wildcats. The extra mags were a little hard to find. It comes with two but I require more for my equipment.

I hope to be able to come help with the November Appleseed Pistol Clinic and will have it all cleaned up to loan out. I do however want to shoot a couple of PQT's with it.  ;)

All the way!

Salty
"We are paratroopers Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded". ~ CPT Dick Winters ~

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong."

"Make good scouts of yourselves, become good rifle shots so that if it becomes necessary that you defend your families and your country that you can do it." - Lord Baden-Powell, Scouting For Boys

NH-GP100

OK, so I searched here and used teh googles but still can't find what I need: Information about "Appleseed Pistol Clinic"

I have only recently become involved in Appleseed (missed the AQT by 2 points - twice - my first time out...) and plan on doing many more (including the Pelham NH one next weekend). I also want to try to do the "Appleseed Pistol Clinic" shoots, as I could stand to learn even more about handgun skills than I have about rifleman skills.

Can someone point me to the right place please?

I currently have a Glock 23, Ruger GP-100 and and convertible Single-Six. Technically the only "Pistol" is the glock. Frankly it's the *ONLY* semi-auto I ever fired I enjoyed, and have no plans to get another one. In fact, the next 2 handguns I plan on getting are a S&W 460 mag and a Ruger LCR (maybe - not sure about that one yet).

I would think the G23 would be OK, anyone have any input?

dinoatlas

Thank you to the folks who offered to let me use one of your guns for the next Appleseed Pistol Clinic! I really appreciate the generousity!

I went ahead and pulled the trigger (pun intended) and purchased a Ruger MKIII Target with the bull barrel. Have not shot it yet...but I am really excited.

Now, I have another question for the group...

After signing up for the December Appleseed Pistol Clinic event I read the fine print about what types of holsters that are allowed/recommended, and I got to wondering...what type of training are we going to be doing? I am okay with whatever we do...but if there is going to be an emphasis on stuff like drawing/clearing clothing and managing follow-up shots, does it really make sense to train hard with my new Ruger .22 when I would never carry that as a CCW gun? Should I have spent the $327 (plus transfer fee) on some .38 or .380 ammo instead since those are the calibers I actually carry?

Whew...I'm confused! I'm not sorry I got the new Ruger...but now I do not know what to bring. I know someone out there will say "just bring everything", and I love that idea...but I cannot spend a small fortune (for me) to bring 250 rounds of carry ammo and .22.

Thanks again for all of the help, and I hope to see someone here in Dec.

Dino

P.S. - Let me know if I should post this somewhere else in the forum...I know I am veering off of my original topic.

ThaiFighter

Just like Appleseed,  Appleseed Pistol Clinic will teach the skills that IF PRACTICED  will turn you into a very competent and safe pistol shooter.

You can learn to draw, present, shoot, change mags and perform after action drills with a .22, but if you are planning to carry, you will need to transfer those skills to your preferred platform through dry-fire practice and actual range time on your own.

It's the same as a traditional appleseed in that vein.  You can learn and develop good habits and skills on a .22,  but once you step up to a .30 cal, it's a different world even if the same rules apply.

does this answer your concerns?

BTW,  the MkIII is an outstanding pistol.
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

Kosciusko

Ruger MK II - out of production, can be had used for $250, all-steel, fantastic pistols, accurate, reliable

the MK III is the current production model, switched from a heel-type mag release to the modern button release, add $100 to the cost

What type of 9mm do you have?    There are .22LR conversion kits out there for Glock,  1911,  Springfield XD/M,  Beretta/Taurus 92,  Browning High Power.  prices are in the $250-350 range, reliable, accurate