News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Mariposa, CA - October 12 & 13, 2013

Started by KP, October 14, 2013, 08:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KP

We enjoyed sunny and mild weather for our last event of the year in Mariposa.  We only had two shooters, but we kept bust.  Kevin had shot center fire long distance years earlier, and it showed.  He cleared the redcoats Saturday morning!  But he brought a very teachable attitude.  As we worked through the basics of each position and the steps to taking the shot, he was listening.  And it payed off.  On Sunday he shot a 230 on the second AQT of the day!  He probably would have made rifleman on Saturday, but ammo and equipment problems plagued him.
     Susan, Kevin's wife had never shot a rifle before.  But she was a very quick study.  She started out with 8 MOA groups from the beginning.  The with iron sights on her 10/22 she was not able to see the small targets clearly.  (I know how that goes!)  But she applied everything we taught and improved throughout both days.  We finally loaned her a rifle with a scope, and her groups shrunk even more.  Janet (MamaNoJama) remarked that Susan would likely be getting a scope for her birthday...
     Participation in the history presentations was lively.  Susan is a school teacher, so she was pretty familiar with the history.  I think we were able to fill in a few gaps for her.  We discussed as a group ways we could help bail the "sinking ship".  We decided local, civic involvement was they key.
     Kevin expressed interest in becoming an instructor.  I told him that the rule is that you must instruct where you become a rifleman ;)  That is the rule, right?  Since he is a member at the Fresno range, which is 50 miles closer to him, I suspect he will show up there.  But they both promised to return to Mariposa next year.  We look forward to that.

kmtphx

Susan and I would like to add our thanks for a great weekend! We will be back as promised, and look forward to seeing you both again. Susan is already talking about ways to improve her score and I have no doubt she'll be a rifleman next year. I'm already looking forward to my next Appleseed and exploring ways to share with others what you've shared with us.

Again, thanks to you both!

Kevin and Susan