News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gainesville, FL - Oct 12-13th, 2013

Started by Mr Pete, October 14, 2013, 02:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Pete

Guy 1:  "Hey have you ever been to <insert famous city here>?"
Guy 2:  "I've been to their airport, does that count?"

In my Appleseed tour of Florida I didn't see anything of Gainesville, but they did have a nice range!  Lucky for me the people at the ranges are much nicer than the people I meet in airports.

As always, Redcoats are a starting place and we started with 1 - 300yard, 1 - 100yard qualification (with 1 headshot).  Out of the gate Ms Liesl was blowing out that square.  Minutemom took a bit to warm up but definitely was in the game.  Will and Sid both had a rough start.  No matter where you start, determination is usually the deciding factor in success.

We often tell students to Improvise, Adapt and Overcome (IAO).  Make your equipment work for you any way that you can.  Sid listened at his previous Appleseed and did what he needed to do.  As instructors we often encourage perseverance by telling history or our personal stories.  Sid set the example for it.

All weekend Will was up and down but throughout we could see things clicking.  It was amazing to see the growth.  Saturday AM Redcoat he just hit the headshot.  By Sunday he dropped 1 shot almost clearing the Redcoat.  I can't think of a much better example of improvement.

I've got to give it up for our 4 intrepid students.  With 4-6 different instructors watching their every move they were getting constant feedback.  Sometimes they had an instructor in each ear.  With so many instructors there were many ideas for challenging exercises.  What is the best way to highlight Steady Hold Factor (SHF) issues?  Hmmm...how about a quick CMP talk and 30cal AM Redcoats.  No matter what we threw at them the students always rose to the occasion.

With no prior experience Ms Liesl fought and learned.  She was nagged, prodded, berated, teased, chided and...well you get the picture.  She definitely took a drink from the firehose and topped out at 205...209 if you want to be dramatic and use the 30 cal rule.

I can only wish for a portion of the enthusiasm that Minutemom showed!  Saved rounds, a "walking scope" and other irritations amounted to her cheerfully asking for another AQT!  Even though she had to rush out the door she was kind enough to clear a Redcoat then was off with a wave.

I still know nothing about Gainesville, but the people are great.

Thanks to the students for making it all worthwhile,
Thanks to a great group of instructors,
Thanks to the Gainesville Target Range for supporting Project Appleseed.

-Peter
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

Minutemom

Another amazing Appleseed weekend!  My hat is off to Mr. Pete, Smoak, Micah, and Evan for making this event awesome!  I really benefited from Pete's constant drilling of the 6 steps of firing a shot and steady hold factors - I don't think I will ever forget them now.  Even though I was really hoping to shoot score, I am completely stoked about my progress made this weekend thanks to the one-on-one coaching from the wonderful instructors.   I feel like I came a long way in improving my trigger pull and settling into my npoa, although I still know I have A LOT of work to do.  Thankfully, I am super motivated again to practice my dry firing at home, and will be ready to kill it at the next shoot!  It was such an honor to be on the line with such great patriots, including Liesl and Will, who I hope to see again!  Liesl impressed us all with her super tight groups from the get-go, and Will's tenacity was an inspiration.  And of course I was proud of my husband Sid, who was a real trooper despite his disability.  I think one of the highlights of the weekend was shooting Evan's M1A, so thank you to the instructors for allowing us to shoot a redcoat with "real guns" on Sunday morning, lol!  I can't say enough about Appleseed and what it has done for my life.  Every time I attend an event, it gives me hope for the future of our country.  Thank you to all!  Mr. Pete, thank you for traveling up to Gainesville to share your extensive knowledge of marksmanship and history.  Your respect and appreciation of our founders' sacrifices just sort of oozes out of your pores :)
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

Minutemom

Sorry, I forgot to sign my name  ;D
-Chris
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

smoakingun

Well, when I was told we only had 3 pre-regs, I was a little disappointed, as this was my second event in as months with so few people, but, with shooters like these, I think I could get used to it  :)
First it was welcome back minutemom. We know her, she and her husband have been here before, she has even shot score before! I fully expected her to duplicate that feat, but, as we all know, shooting is a perishable skill, and she just didn't duplicate that feat this time. She did, however, clean the last red coat of the day! I don't think she even knows it!  :slap:  O0 She had to go and never got down to the target line. Chris, I have your cleaned red coat. Message me and we will figure out how to get it to you.
Her husband has a disability, and the last time he was here, all we instructors were hard pressed to figure out how to help him. This time, in the never give up tenacity unique to the American rifleman, he figured it out on his own and brought it with him.
Will. A young man of whom I have high expectations. He progressed steadily throughout the weekend. He had a few light bulb moments and I fully expect that he will shoot score the next time.
His mother, Liesel, is quite possibly one of the most gifted natural shooters I have ever seen. On her 2nd AQT on Sunday she cleared stage 4! You heard me, she shot it clean, all 100 points earned, and not just on the edges, but solid center hits!  :bow: If we can get that time monkey off her back, she will be unstoppable O0
Thanks to all my students for a great weekend!
                                 Smoak
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

fisherdawg

CLEARED STAGE 4?!!! ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
Holeee smokes......
I'd like to see a picture of that, Mr Pete.
Puhleeeease.
fisherdawg
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

Micah

Thanks for stepping up to the plate and visiting us in Gainesville, Mr. Pete. It's always great to work events with new Shoot Bosses and see the different ways we can do things. It can be disheartening to start an Appleseed with just a few shooters, but often those end up being the best ones. We had a great opportunity to customize our weekend to the needs of everyone make sure we all got the most out of it.

After Mr. Pete led a discussion on the importance of community, it was awesome to hear the shooters brainstorm ways to build our local community of Appleseeders to practice in the time between Appleseed events.

See you guys next time!
Micah

Liesl

Dear Mr. Pete, Smoak, Micah, Evan and Minutemom,
Thank you all for the most enjoyable weekend in Gainesville. After a recommendation from my loving big sis, I signed my son, Will, and I up for the event in hopes to feed Will's passion for history, my love of storytelling and our joint need to spend some quality time together. You all helped deliver all of that in spades.
Mr. Pete, hats off to your storytelling abilities! You and Smoak reminded us of the strength, grace and determination we all inherited from our brave and adventurous ancestors. Thank you for giving us the time to marinate in those legacies.
Evan and Micah, thank you for your patience and passion for history and marksmanship, which spoke to my young man, whether you knew it or not.
Minutemom, thank you for your story about the doctor and for your indirect reminder that we *should* strive to make time in our busy schedules for moments like those this weekend. You're absolutely right. I'd also like to commend you for your fortitude and determination this weekend, as you shot so well, despite hardware obstacles.
Will, thank you for going into this Appleseed event with a happy heart and so much consideration for your ol' mom. I'm so proud of your accomplishments and your determination to learn and do more. Both of your grandfathers and great-grandfathers would have been so proud of you this weekend. I pray you will always carry on their traditions and those of our humble and wise forefathers.
Many, many thanks.

Liesl

Oh, and thank you so much, Smoak, for sharing your beautiful rifles with us. I hope to bring my husband out to your range some time. When we come, I hope you'll show him the pretty little number you let me borrow for the Appleseed shoot. :)  Also, Will hasn't stopped talking about how you let him shoot those M1s. You left quite an impression on him.
We will be back.  ;D
Many thanks, Liesl.

Minutemom

Oh my gosh, the M1s were awesome!  I'm tempted to buy a Garand, even though I know I would probably hardly ever shoot it  ;D
Sid was really impressed with the rifle you used as well Liesl.  It sure is pretty!
Chris

ridefun2

It was a great event!  Improvement in all the shooters, but what impressed me the most is Liesl and Will coming out because of their love of history, and Sunday the students planning to get together for practice days.  What an encouragement!

Liesl, with your natural talent, you can become and incredible shooter with perfect practice!  Build a solid position, dry fire by the numbers and you'll be shooting riflewoman with ease.

Will, you caught on quick!  Now that you know how to build a solid position and the Six Steps, practice!  I expect you to make rifleman next time you come out.

Chris, you were right at the door!  You cleared the final red coat on Sunday, and were two shots away from doing it with a real rifle Sunday morning.  Now, you just have to stop your scope from walking and remember trigger control.

Mr. Pete, you're right, you meet the best people at Appleseed!  Thank you to you and all the instructors for the chance to learn from you and for the great company. 

Evan
Evan

"Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains. A vitiated state of morals, a corrupted public conscience, is incompatible with freedom. No free government, or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue; and by a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles." - Patrick Henry

Minutemom

I just talked my dad, brother, and sister into coming out to the next shoot with me.  My sister Beki will be a repeat offender ;D.  I can't wait to see you all next year!
Chris

Mr Pete

Minutemom,
Love the enthusiasm!  I can't tell you how much I love the idea of strengthening your community with the practice sessions/get-togethers.  If everybody tried to make the world a better place, it would be a better place.  If I can help in any way please let me know.

Liesl,
Natural Point of Aim (NPOA) is your major hurdle, please keep at it.  If ever Will wants have fun at an actual rifle competition let me know.  Shooting an M1 along side a bunch of other M1 shooters at 200-600 yards is a lot of fun.  He is a fine young man and that isn't by chance or luck.

fisherdawg (nice hat!)...unfortunately I don't have a pic though Liesl might grace us with a scan.  You could of course just make your own   ;)

As far as that oozing thing my Dr recommended doing more Appleseeds.

-Peter
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

Mr Pete

More pics

Minutemom

Awesome Mr. Pete!!!  Thanks so much for the pics!  I was so focused on shooting, I took nary a picture this time.  I didn't even realize that anyone was taking pictures.  You guys rock!!!