News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Pensacola, FL Oct 5-6, 2013

Started by Engineer shooting, October 06, 2013, 10:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer shooting

Hurricane Karen, much ado about nothing, forecasted to hit Pensacola Saturday and nary a drop. Sunday it rained on and off with the big storm that came late in the afternoon.  AdobeWalls, Lucky Lori and Blackfog showed up and ran the show. Alchemist had done all the prep work before hand, making running an Appleseed easy.

Steve returned with newbie Carrie. This is the fifth, child, or son-in-law that Steve has dragged to an Appleseed, hats off to you sir!

The amount of improvement seen this weekend left the Instructors well paid and with smiles.
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

Engineer shooting

If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

Tomblin

What a Great event and time had by ALL.   Both students and instructors had a good time and students improved greatly even if we had no riflemen patches to pass out.  Dry fire and see you all hopefully again in the next  event in December.

Lucky  Lori

AdobeWalls

Adaptive Appleseed: The first event I went to, Gainesville Apr 2010, a woman walked onto the range the first day, curious I guess, probably was a host range member. She wanted to shoot. She had just been released from hospital, and still had a tracheotomy tube in her throat. Shoot Boss set her up with a table and seat, and in my memory she shot both days and was very good. That was my introduction to Adaptive Appleseed (no introduction), but I got the idea.
Saturday I was Line Boss. I've been fortunate to have several excellent role models in that. I've done it many times now, and it's different from other roles. Keep the line moving. There was an older shooter who wasn't doing well, but he kept after it. Other instructors tried to help him, but he had some physical limitations.
Sunday someone else was Line Boss, and I was instructing. I am not young myself, and I got an impression of what that shooter's difficulty was - several. Made him a rest for his rifle (safety of the line!), got him zeroed, started working with him, one thing at a time. There are only 6, right? When he had one down and demonstrated it, I added another. Bottom of the breath, pause, fire. Squeeze the trigger. That right there took most of Sunday. This man came out to shoot. He liked his rifle. I respect that. Appleseed will help him every way we can, however long it takes, as long as he is willing to try. His target shows it. Where did I learn that? At Appleseed!
But you and all the kind of Christ are ignorant and brave,
And you have wars you hardly win, and souls you hardly save.
                            -- Chesterton, Ballad of the White Horse, 1911

The easy way is always mined.  -- Murphy's Law of Combat Infantry

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way.  -- Twain