News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR 9/28-29/13 Camp Bullis/Ft Sam Joint Task Force Command EOD Unit Appleseed

Started by Scout, October 02, 2013, 11:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scout

September 28/29 We ran an event at the Joint Task Force Command Center at Camp Bullis/Ft Sam. We were instructing the Air Force EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) Unit in a two day Appleseed. There were initially 16 member scheduled to attend, but several members had to attend other training that weekend in order to make ready for deployment. We ended up with 9 EOD unit members and two medics on day one. Day two had seven on the line after malfunctions with a weapon sidelined one and an aggravated previous injury to another shooter caused them to be off the line.

We ran the event just as we would anywhere else other than severe range rules and limitations in place on the federal range prevented us from beginning before 9:30 or 10:00 each day because of weather problems. We had rain and fog on the range both days and the range had a rule for a 2100 foot ceiling for visibility before shooting and also a 30 minute shutdown after each lightning strike or thunder clap, cease fires for aircraft and we were right in the flight path for the nearby airport with 747s and every other plane flying in America were taking off and landing.  This caused a good deal of wait time which was filled with telling the story and discussing shooting techniques.

The unit members had asked for the instruction after the Senior EOD tech had attended an event at Fredricsberg run by Tommy Newton (draggit) and requested an event or their own unit. They have been getting very poor security assigned to them at times during deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq by higher up and wanted to be able to make the shots themselves if required.

We shot at the 25 all day Saturday and then half the day on Sunday. Then set up the actual distance and ran an actual distance AQTs and got data for rifles. They shot with iron sights both days, though they are issued aimpoint type sights, however, the sights are not return to zero items and the aimpoints get taken off every time the rifles go in the armory box, so no use sighting them in. The members shot well, but no one other than Master Sgt. Mott shot to Rifleman standards. Master Sgt. Mott had previously shot Rifleman at Fredericerg.

The unit members were all professionals and very courteous and respectful, while listening to instruction and applying the techniques and skills they were taught. We have been invited back and we will let you know when we make plans to set up another event there.   
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

Two Wolves

It's very rewarding to get to spend the weekend with America's finest.  O0  And yes, that includes you too---Scout, Alarmlist76 and Zonkertx. Scout did a brillant job of pushing everything togeather in two short days.   ~~:) Instruction--history--AQT's and full distance KD.  :~ The sound of all centerfire rifles was neat. Thank you Master Sgt. Mott for putting this togeather.  :)All of you guys( and Nicky) were great, I'm still not sure about the pranksters   >:D though. Remember   @@) ---we have two shoots left in Fredericksburg this year and it's a nice drive. Hope to see you all again. Two Wolves   :cool2:

A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Two Wolves

:pop:
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Two Wolves

:pop:

Scout

I didn't see any photos of the little ceremony they gave us after they honored us with the unit coin?  :) ;) ;D ^:)^ Wonder if they have any pics of yours and mine faces during the ceremony?

Thanks Rodger for the pics and for all the work you put in to making things happen for Appleseed. Whether it is on any of the military bases we have worked on, in Fredericksberg or here in Davilla, I know I can always count on you to make whatever has to happen, happen. You are a good man Rodger and very fine Marine. ;) Always Faithful!

My thanks to Bill Cronk as Bill is a consummate professional and always keeps me on my toes and Bill has a great sense of humor and as he is a retired officer and commander, he knows his way around the military shoots we do. Bill is a great instructor and a great friend. I depend on Bill, and he always delivers quality instruction.

Evert (Zonker) is a great instructor also and a man to ride the river with. Everet has plenty of energy to burn and is always ready no matter the task or job given him. Always ready to teach and always full of energy and very knowledgeable in his craft. Thank you Everet! 

-Scout
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

slim