News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Puryear TN, 28-29 SEP 13

Started by Maximum Ordinate, September 30, 2013, 02:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

It was a beautiful weekend in Puryear, TN!  We had some traditional sunshine and some liquid sunshine, too!  However, the liquid sunshine didn't deter the patriots who came out to listen to the story of Liberty and learn the quintessential American skill - marksmanship!  (Your humble author was the Shoot Boss in Training, under the leadership of Master Instructor DonD and accompanied by a crew of veteran instructors).  We were hosted by the gracious Henry County Gun Club.

Saturday morning greeted instrutors and shooters alike with beautiful Tennessee weather lots of sunshine and great shooting temps.  We had a robust 21 shooters on the line, more than we've had lately at Puryear.  We began the day with the First Strike & teaching fundamentals.  We quite a few new shooters and some with new equipment they brought to th range.  The shooters were attentive and brought teachable attitudes... the result is that many had great groups (6-8 MOA) after the first couple of squares!

Instructors and shooters alike arrived Sunday morning with lots of smiles.  The line was slightly smaller as not everyone could return on day 2.  The day brought plenty of rain and the occasional hard drizzle, but attitudes were fantastic.  We did some reviews, taught sitting & standing, and then moved onto the AQT grind!  On our first AQT, James scored a 231.  Refusing to be beat, his nephew Louis shot a 233 on the next round!  They chased each other all day finally topping out at 237 (then they moved to the 100 yard range)!  These two men know exactly what they are about.

Throughtout the day, shooters refined their skills, gained confidence, and watched the scores increase.  We hope that all of you can make it out to another Appleseed weekend soon!

My thanks to everyone who came out this weekend, both shooters and instructors.  In the next day or so, I'll post a few pictures from this weekend's event.  If anyone would like a full-size original from this set, please PM me with your email address!

If you took pictures, we'd love to have you post them here!

-Rusty
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Ramblin' Wreck

It was a great Appleseed weekend with some determined shooters. Congratulations to Rusty on completing his 3rd SBit and his promotion to Shoot Boss.  ^:)^

May Liberty increase.

Ramblinwreck

Quote from: Rusty on September 30, 2013, 02:40:33 PM
It was a beautiful weekend in Puryear, TN!  We had some traditional sunshine and some liquid sunshine, too!  However, the liquid sunshine didn't deter the patriots who came out to listen to the story of Liberty and learn the quintessential American skill - marksmanship!  (Your humble author was the Shoot Boss in Training, under the leadership of Master Instructor DonD and accompanied by a crew of veteran instructors).  We were hosted by the gracious Henry County Gun Club.

Saturday morning greeted instrutors and shooters alike with beautiful Tennessee weather lots of sunshine and great shooting temps.  We had a robust 21 shooters on the line, more than we've had lately at Puryear.  We began the day with the First Strike & teaching fundamentals.  We quite a few new shooters and some with new equipment they brought to th range.  The shooters were attentive and brought teachable attitudes... the result is that many had great groups (6-8 MOA) after the first couple of squares!

Instructors and shooters alike arrived Sunday morning with lots of smiles.  The line was slightly smaller as not everyone could return on day 2.  The day brought plenty of rain and the occasional hard drizzle, but attitudes were fantastic.  We did some reviews, taught sitting & standing, and then moved onto the AQT grind!  On our first AQT, James scored a 231.  Refusing to be beat, his nephew Louis shot a 233 on the next round!  They chased each other all day finally topping out at 237 (then they moved to the 100 yard range)!  These two men know exactly what they are about.

Throughtout the day, shooters refined their skills, gained confidence, and watched the scores increase.  We hope that all of you can make it out to another Appleseed weekend soon!

My thanks to everyone who came out this weekend, both shooters and instructors.  In the next day or so, I'll post a few pictures from this weekend's event.  If anyone would like a full-size original from this set, please PM me with your email address!

If you took pictures, we'd love to have you post them here!

-Rusty
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Jim57

I just wanted to thank the Appleseed group, James is my son and Louis is my Grandson. All they have talked about since they got back was that they wanted to do was to attend another one, they thought the instructors were great and the history behind Project Appleseed actually brought tears to their eyes.

Thanks for running such a Great Program, Jim

imadentist

Rusty

Congratulations on your Shoot Boss promotion! 

Russ
IMA

SureShotSpartan

Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

Unbridled Liberty

Congratulations Rusty!  Thanks for stepping up.

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

dond

This was truly a great Appleseed weekend. Attendance was much better than we have had in a number of years. And all the shooters were intensely interested in both the marksmanship and the history. And this included a particularly good turnout of youth shooters too. The youth shooters were a special joy because they were so well behaved, safe, and serious about their shooting. One of these young men was one of the high scoring Riflemen, and another one, whom I believe is only 11 years old, shot a 200. And this was his first Appleseed.  O0  And another lady shooter also scored a 200. It was heartwarming to see two sets of fathers shooting with their sons, a mother shooting with her son and daughter, and also a six member family shooting together.

It was especially gratifying to see the two who scored Riflemen as their shooting continued to improve while they competed with one another, finally attaining such high scores. And this competition continued as they went to 100 yards. After making the suggested 5 MOA adjustment, their shots were less than 4 MOA and centered on the bulls-eye. And even though no IMC was required for shot placement, they were given some problems to answer assuming the shots were not well placed at 100 and 200 yards, and they arrived at the correct answers. Such results are especially rewarding to instructors and create well placed pride in both shooters and instructors. We are fully expecting to place Orange Hats on both of these fine gentlemen at their second Appleseed. And Jim57, thank you for producing such fine offspring, and for sending them to us.

It was also rewarding to watch the other ladies and gentlemen too as they improved their shooting and displayed their dedication to improvement.

It was also a pleasure to work again with some of the best instructors Appleseed has to offer; and to watch Rusty as he so expertly entered his Shoot Bossing career. He is destined to become one of the best.  O0
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

LesMoore

Well, to start, I would just like to say what a GREAT weekend!  I was happy to see some repeat shooters, and also to see many first time shooters.  Everyone was attentive and ready to learn about our country's heritage and marksmanship.  Each shooter was obviously receptive to everything they heard, as their shooting improved throughout the weekend.

It was also really nice to see so many families attending this shoot.   I also think it is important to note the behavior of all the young shooters.  I'm not sure we ever said "thank you" to all of you for your excellent behavior and enthusiasm that you had over the entire weekend.  And to the parents of those young shooters, I believe you all have sons/daughters to be very proud of.

Congrats to our 2 new Riflemen-hope to see you both again soon, and wearing orange hats, as well!

Congratulations, Rusty!! You did a great job.

Leslie

Patriot Gal

Quote from: Jim57 on September 30, 2013, 03:05:48 PM
I just wanted to thank the Appleseed group, James is my son and Louis is my Grandson. All they have talked about since they got back was that they wanted to do was to attend another one, they thought the instructors were great and the history behind Project Appleseed actually brought tears to their eyes.

Thanks for running such a Great Program, Jim

Jim,

Thanks for registering on the forum and for the feedback from your son and grandson.  Hearing those kinds of comments is what makes our day as instructors and motivates us to keep doing what we're doing!! 

Patriot Gal
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

Mutti

Congrats to the new Green Hat. Had the pleasure of working with you in Carmi and learning quite a bit!   A Huzzah moment for sure!
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

brent15

While I am late getting on the page, I want to thank all the instructors.  I know this takes a lot of personal time and committment and it showed during the weekend shoot.  While I knew I was not a good shot prior to this weekend, this taught me just how poor a shot I was!!!  That being said, I learned and improved and I hope to make another shoot in the spring.
Thanks again to the staff, both in front and behind the scenes. 
First time shooter, Brent