News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

October 26th Workday

Started by hushpuppy, September 29, 2013, 06:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hushpuppy

Everyone,
HI! My name is Savannah. I am a Girl Scout Cadette. I am working on my Silver Project which means that I have to complete 50 hours of community service by leading a project. As many of us know the hill coming down from the parking lot at Ramseur is slippery in the winter. I think that steps would be the perfect solution. In addition to building the steps I am organizing a work day. As a thank you to all volunteers I will provide pizza for dinner from Big Daddy's Pizza, snacks, and plenty of water. I will be posting a sign-up sheet and tools needed in a few days.
Thank You,
Savannah (aka Sadman/Patrick's daughter)
Girl Scout Troop 1658

Who: Anyone willing to help
When: Saturday, October 26, at 10:00am
Where: 6510 Royal Ridge Road, Ramseur, NC
Why: So people don't slide down the hill
What: Range Work Day

Other chores
Redo signs
Fixing berm
Painting
Cutting down trees
Cleaning clubhouse
Cleaning fridge/freezer
Making new benches
Making bench rack
Put up pictures
Finish shower house
Sheet rock walls
Mount doors
Loading station

Pain Killer

Excellent idea and a very worthy project! I hope that many instructors and Appleseeders attend this work day. Unfortunately I will be out of town that weekend.

Thanks for organizing this Savannah!

Steve(PK)
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

Sadman

Oh yea, you should bring the tools that allow you to sling some lead.  We can't have a work day without a little fun in the evening!

hushpuppy

I've tried to create a list of tools that we will need for the work day.  It also has a column for the names of people who can attend and tools that we need.  You can use this link to edit the spreadsheet.  If you can help by bringing tools or by donating time I would really appreciate it.  Here is a link to the spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag9QR1D6G_7zdHJrQ04xdnpfVGFOZlljZkx4bGl6cFE&usp=sharing#gid=1

I'm baking cookies (snickerdoodles) to help keep everyone smiling.  Thank you sooo much!

Hushpuppy

hawkeye

Lawson and I will be there for sure, we have a field shoot that day but I can can help with both events no problem. There's plenty to do at the range, I have a long list of wants but work gets in the way.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

saltypaws

Hushpuppy,
I am excited you chose the Project Appleseed to help with your project. I think that this an excellent idea to help the range. Sadly, I have an Appleseed event scheduled that same weekend. Is there a make up day? Would you post the results if there are any unfinished or ongoing items that need to be followed up on? I would like to help with those. I have some tools I can loan out. I'll check your list and make arrangements to drop off what I have.

Hawkeye, I'll be glad to help with the "list" next time I am up. My next event up will be in November. I'll plan on coming up early on a Friday and tackle what I can. I'll have a couple of "helpers" with me and can bring some implements of destruction.

I really like Hushpuppy's idea of the steps and tackling some of the range needs. I think that planning a small service project to do during the week of an RBC could work. I would volunteer to help on some other weekend as well if we had enough instructors on the line.

Great job hushpuppy! O0

Carry on!
Salty
"We are paratroopers Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded". ~ CPT Dick Winters ~

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong."

"Make good scouts of yourselves, become good rifle shots so that if it becomes necessary that you defend your families and your country that you can do it." - Lord Baden-Powell, Scouting For Boys

Adena

Hushpuppy,

The Adams family crew will be there to help you!

Adena
"Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom." - John Adams

"The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave." - Patrick Henry, Speech in the Virginia Convention, March 23, 1775

Goliath

I will plan on attending,

I can bring a 2nd circular saw , an angle grinder for cutting the rebar, and some extra hammers.

GOLIATH

hushpuppy

Thank You Salty Paws, Adena, Goliath, Hawkeye, and Pain Killer for responding and/or coming. I really appreciate it. The weather looks good but it will also be very cold. We are going to bring hot chocolate and coffee to help diminish the cold. We have a little change in food plans. Instead of pizza we are going to have meat and cheese trays plus PB sandwiches. We will also have muffins. It will still start at 10:00 and our main focus will be the steps. If anyone else wants to come we would appreciate it.

hushpuppy

Remember the high is going to be 54 degrees. Dress warm. Hope to see you!!!! :)

hushpuppy

Thank You guys for participating in the workday. I really appreciate the support for completing my silver award. I enjoyed being able to be part of such an awesome group of people. Attached are the pictures of everyone. A big thanks to cdavidhord and his great family, m1NC, Goliath, the kid, Sadman, Grathlong, revere, Lawrence, Hawkeye, Lawman, and Adena, CAdams and their beautiful children.

We accomplished quite a bit including replacing line command signs, building steps that will be there till the dinosaurs walk the earth again, restocked supplies and two trees were cut. I'm thrilled with the outcome and I hope you guys are too.

Here is a slide show of the pictures taken that day.
http://slide.ly/view/d53774ca0420c031683acd1d83d71232

Thank you,

Hushpuppy

adamsod

Hushpuppy, Great job in setting this up and making it happen!
Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free