News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Evansville, IN. Redbrush Range September 21-22 2013

Started by Mudcat, September 22, 2013, 10:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcat

What a great weekend we had this time around, great weather, great range, great shooters and fine patriots. We had lots of family participation on the line this weekend. Jason and Chandler as a father and son, Robert and Wes as a father and son, Mark and Zak as a father and son then we had Alan, Kayla, Christin and Bradley. This makes me so happy and proud to have these families on the line all did extremely well and made great progress. We had Mark, Greg, Chad and Robin out there too.
Robin started us off with a great job of clearing the red coat saturday morning. This was a great improvement over he inaugural shoot last weekend.
We had Robert as our 2 Saturday Riflemen and congratulations you guys did great and we a lot of fun on the line. Chad was the one who was so close and was shooting lights out all day long until we put the pressure of the AQT on him. But everyone had gained so much ground at the end of Saturday.
Sunday we got right back into it with lots of questions being asked at the Sunday morning review. You all made instructing so easy with the questions that were asked. I could tell you all had really put some thought into them. A page of squares to get everyone tuned up and the bugs worked out. Christin was so amazed that she had a group on the second square which was an 8 moa group. then she put 3 more together and finally a group while using NPOA that was 2 moa! Sadly I'm not much of a photographer though.

Bradley was gaining ground on the AQT all day and getting really good at diagnosing his issues through talking targets. Hang in there Bradley and keep trying. Kayla was fighting that front sight focus but could put together some great groups when it all came together. Alan was so close to Rifleman he shat a 212 but..... a Rifleman has to know how to count, that 2-2-3-3 on the bottom row. You now know that you can do it, we already knew that. It will be easier now, I promise. Mark was making great inprovement all day and finally qualified as a Marksman I do believe. Robin made Sharpshooter and is well on her way to a 210 and beyond. Chad came through for our Sunday Rifleman it was a hard fought battle no doubt, but not one that he was willing to give up. Mark S was doing well and kept fighting too. Greg was so close, breaking 200 and knocking on that door.
We also picked up a new IIT after last weekend Honey stepped up to take an orange hat on Sunday, so a big congratulations and thank you to her!
Congratulations to the 3 new Riflemen and the new IIT! To the others keep up the hard work, some dry fire practice, you all should show some great strides. I know you all have it in you to become Riflemen and Riflewomen, you are not quitters. Just think "A nation of Riflemen!" I hope to see you all back on the line soon. You all made my weekend a great weekend and it reminds me why I do this. Thank You!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

brianheeter

CHRISTIN!!!!!  Nice shootin'!

Everybody else viewing this thread should click on that top picture to get to the original and zoom in on the lower left square.  Totally awesome!

C ya,

brian
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

firepiper

Mudcat
Thanks for the instruction this past weekend at the Redbrush shoot!  Shooting Rifleman was a huge honor for me and I couldn't have accomplished it without the outstanding training you and your fellow instructors provided!  Hope to shoot with you again!  This was a great weekend of learning, shooting, and history all rolled together!  Thanks again, Chad Buttry

Mudcat

It was an honor Chad.
No a little bit about this line. There were 11 rifles with Tech Sights 1 with a red dot and only 3 rifles with scopes one on a bolt action. There were zero race guns  O0. These shooters came prepared with only 1 rifle without a sling. Our riflemen for the weekend were 2 10/22s one with Tech sights the other with a red dot and a Marlin 795 with Tech Sights. Proof again that a light trigger, high speed scoped rifle is not needed to shoot a Rifleman score. 4 great responsible youth shooters that kept the older ones in line. 4 left handed shooters it had been a while since I had been asked to demo a position left hand and 2 shooters that only had vision in 1 eye. A very diverse slice of fellow Americans.

You all are awesome!
I believe there are more pictures out there from others hopefully they will get posted too.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Robert Alexander

Instructors
I was proud to be allowed to be in your class [ with my son ] I will take this special time with me always.
Thanks very much.

Rayne

QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

Mudcat

Quote from: Rayne on September 23, 2013, 09:39:43 PM
Quote from: Mudcat on September 23, 2013, 07:03:59 PM
Proof again that a light trigger high speed scoped rifle is needed to shoot a Rifleman score. 

Is this what you really meant to say?

Corrected Rayne. I am always thankful for these ever diligent IITs we have around here keeping us SBs in line. O0
Thanks
--George Washington

redbaron

Quote from: Mudcat on September 23, 2013, 07:03:59 PM
I believe there are more pictures out there from others hopefully they will get posted too.

I have a few. I'll get them posted in the morning.

Loose Nut

Shoot Boss (Mudcat) - Another Great Job, we could not do it without you - I am proud to stand on the line with you.  You are an inspiration to all of us.  It was another wonderful weekend shoot.

It was a beautiful morning when we started setting up........that turned into blue skies and sunshine

Check in and registration went smoothly with some of the best prepared Appleseeders that I have seen

First chance at the Redcoat targets.........WOW, we had some great shooters right from the start

Mudcat demonstrating and RedBaron giving us some Standing Steady Hold Factors

Getting ready for one of the transition stages with blue skies and sunshine

Trying out the seated position - this was a new one for several shooters

Mudcat - double check those scores - I think these guys are RIFLEMEN

Congratulations Guys - Great Shooting

New Riflemen - these guys did a wonderful job and were a lot of fun to be around

RedBaron presenting some history - this really is a big factor in the success of these Appleseed Events - Great Job Tim!

We even got a new instructor signed up - Welcome aboard "Honey", I am sure that you will be an asset to the Appleseed Project - looking forward to working the line with you......Huzzah, Huzzah, Huzzah!

Sunday afternoon Chad pulled together all his positions, all the steady hold factors and the six steps of firing the shot and got a Rifleman Score - the smile on his face was contagious and we all had fun congratulating Chad

It was so nice to meet these fine young shooters and get to watch their shooting skills develop over the weekend.  You guys did a GREAT job and your smiles made the Shoot a SUCCESS.  I hope to see all of you back in the future.

Couldn't ask for better weather, couldn't ask for more prepared shooters, couldn't ask for more family participation, couldn't ask for more considerate folks to be around, Rifleman Scores, NEW instructor, all of us learned something about our heritage and what we are made of, safe and conscientious shooters that all learned and developed some new skills.

YES, it was a GREAT SUCCESS.............HUZZAH!
If you think you can or If you think you can't - either way you'll be right.     American Entrepreneur Henry Ford, 1863-1947

Rayne

QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

irishrose

Wow what a weekend ! 3 New Riflemen ^:)^ , plenty of great folks and loads of instructions! Thanks to all of my instructors for answering  all my questions sometimes it is a little  :-[ when i have to ask so many times , I promise you are NOT  :DH: I will get there HAZZAH !  O0

Loose Nut

Quote from: irishrose on September 24, 2013, 12:52:45 AM
Wow what a weekend ! 3 New Riflemen ^:)^ , plenty of great folks and loads of instructions! Thanks to all of my instructors for answering  all my questions sometimes it is a little  :-[ when i have to ask so many times , I promise you are NOT  :DH: I will get there HAZZAH !  O0

Like Mudcat  said.................sorta like drinkin from a firehose

We KNOW you can do it.............persist!
If you think you can or If you think you can't - either way you'll be right.     American Entrepreneur Henry Ford, 1863-1947

redbaron

What a great and beautiful weekend to be out on the range learning some marksmanship and hearing the true stories of our heritage. As was said before, this was one of the most prepared lines that I have seen. Everyone showed up with an open mind and an eagerness to learn. It was pretty cool to see so many families on the line together.

Some of my pictures will be a re-post, since Loose Nut beat me to it.  O0

Our two Saturday Riflemen. Father and son. You could tell it meant a lot to both of them and for them to do it together on the first AQT on Saturday was pretty neat.

Loose Nut giving the Sunday morning safety and line command review.

Mudcat doing demo on Sunday morning during Steady Hold Factor review.

Mudcat discussing talking targets.

New Orange Hat - Honey!

Sunday AQT grind.

Our Sunday Rifleman, firepiper. Way to persist Chad!

Our posterity.

redbaron

Quote from: brianheeter on September 22, 2013, 10:44:04 PM
Quote from: Mudcat on September 22, 2013, 10:32:32 PM
Christin was so amazed that she had a group on the second square which was an 8 moa group. then she put 3 more together and finally a group while using NPOA that was 2 moa! Sadly I'm not much of a photographer though.

CHRISTIN!!!!!  Nice shootin'!

Everybody else viewing this thread should click on that top picture to get to the original and zoom in on the lower left square.  Totally awesome!

This was truly the highlight of my weekend. I worked with Christin early Sunday morning on improving just one thing at a time with her position. When she put the group together on the upper left square, she was shocked and ecstatic! The next two groups opened up a little bit and she was diagnosing her target each time. Then we got to the last square, the lower left. I made it to the target line before she did and as I was walking towards it, I couldn't see any holes. But as I got closer, they became very visible. The look on her face, as well as her father's, was priceless.  :'( This is what it is about. Christin, thank you! You made my day and weekend!  O0

Quote from: firepiper on September 23, 2013, 05:53:00 PM
Mudcat
Thanks for the instruction this past weekend at the Redbrush shoot!  Shooting Rifleman was a huge honor for me and I couldn't have accomplished it without the outstanding training you and your fellow instructors provided!  Hope to shoot with you again!  This was a great weekend of learning, shooting, and history all rolled together!  Thanks again, Chad Buttry
Chad, it was a pleasure to have you on the line and I hope to see you back again. Congrats on the Rifleman patch.

Quote from: Robert Alexander on September 23, 2013, 08:47:14 PM
Instructors
I was proud to be allowed to be in your class [ with my son ] I will take this special time with me always.
Thanks very much.
Robert, it was my pleasure to have you on the line this weekend. As I stated with the picture I posted, I thought it was awesome that both you and your son made Rifleman at the same time.

Quote from: Rayne on September 24, 2013, 12:08:44 AM
Hope to make it down in November to learn from you and your crew.  Working on a place to stay.  Looks like you had a great AS.
Hope you can make it Rayne. If you need help finding a place, let me know and I'll help you out.

Keep working and you'll get there. You showed great improvement all weekend.  O0

Alan

Thanks to all the instructors for a great weekend.  There were a lot of little things you told and showed us that helped me get better position.  The kids had a great time and enjoyed it a lot.  Congratulations to Honey on starting the path to becoming an instructor.  I really appreciate the extra time you gave the kids on Sunday afternoon to help them in their shooting.  Looking forward to doing another Appleseed in the future!

irishrose

Quote from: Loose Nut on September 24, 2013, 01:31:36 AM

Like Mudcat  said.................sorta like drinkin from a firehose

We KNOW you can do it.............persist!

HUZZAH!

Alan

Dear Mudcat,

Thanks for a awesome weekend! had a great time, and learned a ton! can't wait to get back on the range with y'all! sadly, I will not be coming in November
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/Smileys/newsmileys/cry.gif

hope 2 see u soon,

~Bradleyhttp://appleseedinfo.org/smf/Smileys/newsmileys/AR15firing.gif

Alan

Dear Mudcat,

Thanks for a awesome weekend! had a great time, and learned a ton! can't wait to get back on the range with y'all! sadly, I will not be coming back in November   :'(

hope 2 see u soon,

~Bradley  :---

Alan

Thank you sooooooooooooo much to all of the instructors.  I love shooting.  Thanks Redbaron for your encouragement.

Christin

Alan

Thank you all so much for teaching me how to shoot! It's hard to believe that last week I would jump every time the gun went off :) Thank you again for your guidance and support!

Kayla :D

Mudcat

Bradley you are awesome at understanding what your targets are saying to you. Keep talking to them and take their advice they will tell you the truth every time. Kayla work on those 6 steps of firing the shot, all of them, you have great position already. Christin keep that elbow under the rifle and perfect practice. But above all be safe and have fun shooting. I see Rifleman patches in your future for sure. Oh and work on counting with your Dad.  ;)
You all did great and it would be a pleasure to have you on the line again any time.
--George Washington