News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

BURLINGTON FLATS, NY 21 - 22 SEPT. 2013 A.A.R.

Started by Odin, September 22, 2013, 08:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odin

Strong winds, chilly temps, and some rain made this a typical Appleseed shoot at Burlington Flats.  This weekend our line was joined by Greg and Chris a father and son team who were a joy to have on the line.  Both were very attentive to all the instruction and really applied what was taught and as a result showed some great improvement in their shooting.

Saturday Chris worked with a 10-22, on Sunday he decided to challenge himself and shot his single load rascal.  With that rifle he had some very tight group sizes.  He then took that rifle out to known distance and rang a 200 yard steel target a couple of times.  On top of that he had the course of fire for the AQT down pat after the very first one.  Very remarkable.

Greg is the type of student most instructors hope for.  He brought the most important thing to the shoot a teachable attitude and it showed.  Besides listening, he asked some great questions and applied what we were teaching.  He didn't let ammunition and some rifle issues frustrate him or stop him from learning.

For instructors this weekend I was joined by a great instructor crew.  As always it was a pleasure working with them and it is great seeing the IITS progress along the road to the red hat.  All of them are great assets to the program and our students are lucky to have their tutelage.

I have to give a special thanks to Valkyrie who in addition to instructing did some cooking.  Saturday night we were treated to a very tasty meal of Chicken Alfredo with apple pie as dessert. 

Photos will follow later on.  Thank you all for a wonderful weekend.  I hope to see you all at the next seed.
Deluce Bellum Inexpertis (sweet is war to those who have never experienced it) - Roman Proverb

"Of his knowledge a man should never boast, but be sparing in his speech.  When to his house a wiser man comes, seldom do the silent make mistakes" - Havamal

"To ask well and answer rightly are the marks of a wise man" - Havamal

AwesomeAustin

Chris did very well at kd. He did excellent with my AR (now he wants one), its been awhile since i had a meal that good on saturday night. I had fun doing the AQT's along with the redcoat today, iv'e been waiting awhile to do them. I would love to see Chris and Greig shoot another appleseed, i think Chris would make a great instructor one day. The weather over the weekend was great along with rain that sgtrock brings and with the wind it was great to shoot in. O0
"Aim small, miss small"
From the move the patriot

Ed Lentz

Quote from: Odin on September 22, 2013, 08:44:18 PMon Sunday he decided to challenge himself and shot his single load rascal.

Awesome

sgtrock

http://s1044.photobucket.com/user/sgtrocke6/media/B-Flats%202013%20Sept/P4200036_zpsdeae35f2.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Alright, I think I may have finally got it to work, The link above will/should direct you to my photo bucket to see the pictures of our event at B-Flats, if it doesn't work for you let me know, my computer girl is off to one of them college places, where they have barracks and no CQ duty, not sure I understand the concept, but oh well.

But anyway, we had a great shoot at Burlington Flats, NY, With a father and son team it was a nice little shoot to end the year,,, The folks got to shoot various types of rifles that had not been available to them before this event, Chris our youngest shooter got to shoot an AR for the first time and now he is really wanting Dad to get one, his dad Greg got to shoot and very nice CMP H and R for the first time as well. Plus a mini 14. all at Known Distance on our range. Hopefully he will still be able to purchase one from the CMP one of these days.

As you can see from the pictures we have over head cover at B-Flats now, which helped to keep folks dry this weekend and with the high winds it helped that we wrapped one end of the pavillion with tarps, either way it was a special shoot for everyone, Chris is such a cool young man that has really come along way in the shooting sports, he is also part of our Junior Rifle League we do every year for about 22 weeks.

When he was asked if he wanted to shoot an AR his eyes lit right up as if it was Xmas, see the pictures and his position with rifle, Priceless...

These two men got an Appleseed taylored just for them, and the instructors had opportunies to shoot as well, which always is great...

At 13 years old IIT AwsomeAustin Requaified (first target shot) a very respectable 225, and did very well at KD too, swatting steel at 200 and 300 yds,,,, Great Job Austin, He is also part of the Junior Rifle team as well as F-Class and High Power, and Sporter Rifle, next year he will most likely be shooting on the Pistol team too,,,

The food, the people, our friends, make this place a nice spot to have events, our little piece of paradise....
Thanks to Dave and Sammie for all the help and cooking such an awesome meal, so much so that we had leftovers for lunch the next day that were as good as Saturday nights instructor/student meal, plus pizza, and cookies and apple pie, that, that was by far the best I've had in a very long time.

Thank you Greg for loaning your M1 and Mini 14 for Greg to test drive, AwesomeAustin for the AR for Chris,

This event may have been small, But it was very rewarding and effective for students and instructors alike. Plenty enough time to have fun and learn what it takes to be competent in the things we do.

Thank you to Burlington Flats Fish and Game Club for hosting our event, the berm improvement and overhead cover sure does make this a more comfortable place, (I can't believe I just said comfortable) But it is, what it is,,,,

sgtrock

Mph_VT

Hoo Rah Burlington Flats! My favorite hill in the world.

Nice job. Looking good.

Altho I'm a little chagrined; Was that a permanent cover over the short range line? Oh jees!
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it.

Learned Hand

Sir, the gods of the valley are not the gods of the hills, and you shall understand it.             

Ethan Allen

Josey Wales

..Way to go to my brothers @ Burlington Flats, solid is as solid does and you can never dissappoint..
..Me & VietVet will be up at the range Friday the 27th and Saturday to visit shoot relax enjoy and see our friends, May God Bless The Righteous..

........Strength & Honor.......Josey Wales.........
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

sgtrock

Looking forward to it Nick, Drive safe,,,, I'll be around the area.

Valkyrie

thank you guys for a great weekend and for complimenting my cooking :)

as for Chris and Greg, they were a lot to work with and i hope to have them join us at another shoot. They were a lot of fun to work with and watching Chris with his rascal and how fast he can use it was impressive.
~Valkyrie (Sammie :D)~

LittleMo

B-Flats...the weather is always different! :)

Great job, all!

Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont