News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Is this one of yours ? Wow

Started by Johnnyappleseed, September 19, 2013, 01:23:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnyappleseed

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

techres

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

slim

Keeping in line with SOM/SOM I wont address the content. We can recognize the importance of keeping collective and answering in a concise and clear reply.

...and referring them to techres.

jmdavis

Keith is a good man, a veteran of the Marine Corps, and a proponent of freedom.  He came to Appleseed from the West Virginia Civilian Defense League (basically a concealed carry organization) and was one of the first WV Shoot bosses, the State Coordinator of WV and the Regional Coordinator.  He was also responsible for getting AS into the Putnam County Gun Club. He was known in AS as "Siglite".

This video made the rounds back in January. You can find his email on the WVCDL website if you wish to communicate with him. 
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

ATM

I remember that video from earlier in the year and thought he did a great job with that interview.

I'm glad to find out that he spent time serving the AS mission and wish him well in his continuing civic endeavors.

I also agree that the topic of the discussion is secondary to the example of using the public soapbox and comporting oneself with assertive dignity in lively discourse to challenge and change the climate via the hearts and minds of the American people.
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

jmdavis

When we think of Freedom as secondary to the means of message, we may want to reexamine our priorities.

Freedom is the message.

We need to pick our battles. But as Keith aptly demonstrated, with knowledge and assurance we can take on those who would deprive us of freedom in debate and show them and their ideas for what they are.

The video has been viewed 221,888 times. That's a good sized audience for freedom.

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."

Johnnyappleseed

I love the part when the interviewer got nearly ballistic when the guest informed him he was armed !

This media person had no idea that his guest probably could have snapped his neck with ease ! Probably ending his life with greater certainty than a slug from a pistol.

Yet the idea of this gentle law abiding citizen carrying a self defense tool frightened him.

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

George Hacker

Happy birthday, Johnnyappleseed.  Since it's your birthday we'll give you a free pass on your double post. ;D

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Johnnyappleseed

Thanx George,

Yup I can confirm the brain is the 1st thing to go !
Calvin Coolidge

ATM

Quote from: jmdavis on September 19, 2013, 12:21:16 PM
When we think of Freedom as secondary to the means of message, we may want to reexamine our priorities.

Freedom is the message.

We need to pick our battles. But as Keith aptly demonstrated, with knowledge and assurance we can take on those who would deprive us of freedom in debate and show them and their ideas for what they are.

The video has been viewed 221,888 times. That's a good sized audience for freedom.

Perhaps you took my reference in the wrong context. The topic of discussion in the video is secondary to the activity as it pertains to the Appleseed mission and intended use of this forum.
We are generally able to encourage such civic engagement and activism despite the fact that some believe or understand certain topics differently.

Appleseed is not the proper place to hash out those many topics is all I meant to convey.

jmdavis

If you are saying that the focus of Appleseed is freedom beyond gun rights, I agree with you. If you are saying that Appleseed is the point rather than freedom, I don't and would urge you to rethink your belief.

Non-partisan is one thing. A political is another.

So while Appleseed isn't specifically about gun rights, gun rights are important to a majority of Appleseeders and were part of the reason it was founded.

For me the topic of discussion in the video is Freedom, in this case the freedom to continue to own semi-auto rifles, standard capacity magazines, and to carry the same. While you might find some instructor, somewhere who would disagree, he or she is overwhelmed by the numbers who agree.

Remember the story of April 19 1775 in Boston and the story of April 21, 1775 in Virginia are both about confiscation of arms. In Virginia Lord Dunmore succeeded in stealing the powder at Williamsburg and then sending it down the James river to Hampton Roads.

That event brought the muster of the Hanover Militia led by Col. Patrick Henry and their march to Williamsburg to seek remuneration and arrest Dunmore. They received payment for the powder, and were convinced to march back west without arresting Dunmore. A month later Dunmore left the Colonial Virginia Capitol of  Williamsburg for good.

http://www.history.org/History/todayin1770s/index.cfm?SelectedMonth=05&SelectedDay=13

A mere month before (March 20) part of Henry's famous speech at Second Virginia Convention went, "The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? "Why indeed.

The relevance is that West Virginia didn't exist in 1775, it was part of the Virginia frontier. It's Riflemen would answer the call and March to Boston.

ATM

Quote from: jmdavis on September 19, 2013, 08:46:30 PM
If you are saying that the focus of Appleseed is freedom beyond gun rights, I agree with you...

Then we'll just pause on that note of agreement, and I thank you for the historical notes as well.  :)

Johnnyappleseed

I too enjoyed reading about Col. Patrick Henry !
He has always been one of favorites and yet I know so little about him.
Thanx for the history and commentary .
Calvin Coolidge