News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Summerville, GA Sept 14-15, 2013

Started by SureShotSpartan, September 16, 2013, 04:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SureShotSpartan

Our second event hosted by the Chattooga County Wildlife Club was held at their range under a beautiful blue sky with mild temperatures and a gentle breeze.  Our more than gracious hosts proved to be more than capable of making their guests feel welcome and cared for.  Their contributions to the event were arguably the best I've encountered.

With the introductions and the SAFETY briefing accomplished, the participants were able to chorus the Safety Rules and the steps to Safe Rifle on command.  I must say, they were attentive from the beginning and remained that way throughout the weekend.  Our morning Red Coat revealed that we had only one shooter that was effective at 200yds, but we were prepared.  Using a Course of Fire that I had developed especially for my first SBIT as somewhat of an experiment, I was excited to get started.  The instruction began promptly and we were off......  ~~:)

Saturday morning was filled with world class instruction from Guardian, Goose, Tellico and Ramblinwreck, but the students stole the show.  With each "NO-AMMO" exercise, they carefully absorbed the lesson being taught and seemed to grasp the finer points of marksmanship we were trying to convey.  These people knew well what they were about!! O0

During our lunch break, the events of April 19th were brought to life by Goose (First Strike) and Ramblinwreck (Second Strike), stirring our hearts for the cause of LIBERTY!!

After lunch, we moved back to the line for further instruction and additional drills.  Just prior to the day's only AQT, we took a late afternoon break for the inspired telling of the Third Strike by Tellico.

Our group didn't disappoint as SEVERAL respectable scores were shot on the day's only AQT and Stephen shot a 200!!  HUZZAH!!  Imagine the excitement of the Instructor Cadre when the afternoon's Red Coat revealed Stephen had also cleared it!! 

Saturday's festivities closed with the benediction, a passionate re-oration of Patrick Henry's "Give Me Liberty, or Give Me Death!" speech.

On Sunday morning, the air was cooler and but the "fire" was not!  Each Instructor and shooter that returned, dutifully went to work as soon as they arrived.  If the successes of the previous day were any indication, we were going to see a few new Riflemen emerge.  We began the day by welcoming a new Orange Hat, Sesquipedalian, to the Instructor Corps.  Shortly after, we began reviewing Saturday's points of instruction and then we were ready to start the AQT grind.

After two AQT's, we made the decision to stop the shooting portion of the event for SAFETY reasons.  This hearty lot of shooters, as well as our wonderful hosts, although disappointed, were supportive and understanding.  Not wanting to end the event so suddenly, we told stories about Dangerous Old Men and Brave Women, rounding out the lunch hour with a presentation of Long Distance shooting.

Thanks again to all of the participants and Instructors for making my first SBIT event such a memorable experience!!  Please feel free to add your pictures and comments!!

Like I said, beautiful weather...

The event space:

Tellico:

Goose helping Chris:

Guardian "Building the Comb" for Ann:

Bowditch helping Cailey:

Ramblinwreck and Sesq with her new OH:

Chris and Duane under the watchful eye of the Line Boss:

Guardian and Goose under the watchful eye of Mr. Gadsden:

Phil:

Shannon:

Johnny:

Sunday morning Firing Line:

The First Strike:

Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

Ringer68

This past weekend at Summerville was the second time I had attended this particular AS location. We were fortunate to enjoy beautiful weather once again, and meet a wonderful group of newbie and seasoned shooters and instructors. Thanks so much to our event hosts, and our talented and very knowledgeable AS crew!

I was only planning to shoot on Sunday due to obligations at home, but at the last minute was freed up to to attend on Saturday as well. So I offered extra eyes and ears as an orange hat for the day. Our SBIT did a fabulous job of orchestrating the event and he should be commended for his passion and effort in a job well done.

I had a lot of fun working with one of our younger shooters, Cailey, (pictured above) as she struggled to tackle some technical difficulties with her rifle and trying to implement everything she had learned throughout the day. She started the day with a substitute rifle as hers was not functional. The heavier rifle was much harder for her to hold during phase 1, but she endured through all phases, and by the end of the day was able to get holes in targets rather than the cardboard backer. I hope she recognizes what an accomplishment that was. I see a rifleman patch in her future!

We were unable to complete the shoot on Sunday but it was the right call and everyone handled it very professionally. I hope we get the chance to host an AS in that location next year. Our hosts were very accommodating and it is a lovely location. I am looking forward to trudging up to Rising Fawn once again this weekend in pursuit of my qualification on centerfire with iron sights, and hope to see some of the Summerville crew there.