News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Atlanta, IN - 9/14-15/13

Started by kate, September 15, 2013, 09:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kate

It was a beautiful weekend at Atlanta with a line full of attentive shooters and instructors polishing their skills. Saturday started out chilly, but ended up being a beautiful day. Instruction was well received and the targets all agreed: we had a fabulous bunch of shooters! As the sun rose on Sunday, the scores followed suit until, finally, we were all so tired we took a break. It's rumored that, somewhere in there, I fell asleep, but I admit nothing! Afterward, we shot a few rounds of the dueling tree, effectively breaking up the AQT grind. We finished Sunday out with the Sledgehammer of the Battlefield: the M1 Garand, generously provided by Greg. All and all, the weekend was a huge success.

Not to name names or anything , but Maggie was astounding, going from never having fired a rifle to dominating the dueling tree.  Greg showed remarkable improvement throughout the weekend, sticking with it through multiple malfunctions. Deb was a joy to have on the line, taking instruction well and showing improvement each and every course of fire. It was a shame not to have Roy and Shawn on the line Sunday, because both of them improved and did everything you asked them to with a smile on their face. I hope to see everyone on the line again soon and remember: the next time you attend an Appleseed, bring someone with you!

CONGRATULATIONS to Alex on a fabulous rifleman score of 222! Lots of hard work and patience went into that patch and I must say, it was well deserved!!

A huge thank you to everyone who attended for making this the best weekend... ever  O0

hawkhavn

Seems to me there was more great news, something about a new lady Rifleman...  ;)
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

yellowhousejake

Quote from: kate on September 15, 2013, 09:52:51 PM
<< Last Edit: Today at 09:15:07 AM by kate >>

That was during a study hall, right young lady?  ::) ::) ::)

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Rayne

~
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

yellowhousejake

Quote from: Rayne on September 16, 2013, 07:51:21 PM
Quote from: yellowhousejake on September 16, 2013, 07:20:36 PM
Quote from: kate on September 15, 2013, 09:52:51 PM
<< Last Edit: Today at 09:15:07 AM by kate >>

That was during a study hall, right young lady?  ::) ::) ::)

YHJ

**)  like I said, just like a Dad.

Not that I would object, at all, but folks are going to start thinking Kate is my daughter!

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Rayne

~
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

Niecie

A lot went on this weekend in Atlanta! Alex scored rifleman, Kate put on her red hat, Dnurk worked his second Appleseed, and we had a lot of "hats" join the line as shooters. We also had some returning Appleseeders and some brand new folks. The weather could not have been better, nor could the company!

First, welcome again to Dnurk - you did a magnificent job as line boss! You are a great addition to the troupe and we are so grateful to have you here with us!

Congratulations to Kate - a lot of hard work has gone into becoming a red hat! We are ALL so proud of you!

And of course, congratulations to Alex!! Whooohoooo! What a fantastic Sunday for you! Scoring a 222 right out of the gate - then backing it up with a 210! She definitely knows what she is about! and so do her brothers, now  >:D

Maggie, Deb, and Greg, it was wonderful to meet you all and I love your enthusiasm! I can't wait to see you all on the line again.
Extra special thanks to Greg for his amazing generosity, allowing everyone to try out his Garand. We thank you, sir :bow:

And to all of my instructor friends that I haven't worked with in a while - it was great to see you all and I especially enjoyed Grunt Soldier's sense of humor so early in the morning.   

Here are some photos from Sunday... Enjoy and we'll see you on the line.

Niecie

YHJ mumbling something about filling the red hat with her own mojo and trying not to sob - he is so proud of Kate!

We all are - Congrats Kate  O0 O0 O0

New red hat duties ... Let's start with a 5 square.

Dnurk as the line boss for the day. YHJ looking for a new pup to raise  ;)

Ball and Dummy drill. First up,  Brown working with Maggie.

Grunt Soldier working with Deb & Stagehand Steve working with Greg...

Then of course, they return the favor:

Then check the targets:

Hawkhavn lending Alex a helping hand...

Then she shoots a 222 and becomes a Rifleman!!! Go Alex!  O0 O0 O0

Stagehand Steve (AKA Dad) trying to keep up  ;D

Let's start the AQT grind

Alex always has perfect form and scores a 210 on her third AQT  O0 O0 O0

The afternoon is broken up with a couple of fun shoots. First, two teams shoot for the stars...

Then later, they compete as teams shooting the dueling tree

Hawkhavn pauses to assist Maggie with some additional instruction

Then the instructors get in the mix.

Greg so kindly shared his Garand. Thank you so much,  :bow: :bow:

Hawkhavn getting Alex ready

and she LOVED it! Her father could not be more proud!

mlzoiss

I had a lot of fun at the shoot this past weekend! I can't believe I waited 9 months to try out my first rifle. Nobody warned me about the sunburn on the left side of my neck though. Does that officially make me a "red-neck?" I will also not be wearing sweat pants again, with all these pictures posted from behind  ???

I will be ordering Tech-SIGHTS for my Ruger 10/22 before my next shoot, any advice? Is it easy to install?

yellowhousejake

Quote from: mlzoiss on September 16, 2013, 10:27:22 PM
I had a lot of fun at the shoot this past weekend! I can't believe I waited 9 months to try out my first rifle. Nobody warned me about the sunburn on the left side of my neck though. Does that officially make me a "red-neck?" I will also not be wearing sweat pants again, with all these pictures posted from behind  ???

I will be ordering Tech-SIGHTS for my Ruger 10/22 before my next shoot, any advice? Is it easy to install?

It was great to have you on the line Maggie. Your improvement was spectacular, I always enjoy seeing new folks with no bad habits go from "how does this work" to competent in one weekend. Your constant smile and good attitude made our job easy.

Tech sights are fairly simple to install if you have a decent ability with hand tools. I recommend you get a quality set of gunsmithing screw drivers first, you will get good use from them in the future as well. If you do not want to attempt it a gunsmith should be able to put them on for you in a matter of minutes.

Remember your IMC and you will get them zero'd in a couple of rounds. Any questions, just login to the forum ask for help.

YHJ

YHJ

brianheeter

Alex!   Huzzaaaahhhhhhh!!!  Nice job, RifleChick!
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

grunt soldier

I knew as soon as I saw Alex's target it was over a 215.  her money round was awesome!  great shooting and congrats!   Had a great time this weekend for the few hours each day.  heard some good history, saw tons of improvement across the line (including myself).  Saw a amazing young lady get her red hat!  Huzzzah!!  got to stand around and talk shop with some old friends and some new ones.  I would say all and all I can't think of a better way to spend a weekend! 
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

gregkl

Deb and I had a great time!  We both learned a lot and met some really great people.  Deb has already told at least a dozen people that they NEED to go to an Appleseed. 

Thank you all for the kind words directed towards me about the Garand.  It really was my pleasure to see some folks shoot it.  And quite the surprise to see that it actually shot pretty well.  The last time I shot it, for some reason I did not get those kind of groups.  Hmm....the barrel accuracy must have gotten better sitting in my safe.

I have heard others talking about going to multiple Appleseeds and I never really understood that.  I thought you go once, learn and then move on.  Now I fully understand the attraction and believe me, I will be back next year!

Thank-you Dave and Kate for being awesome instructors!  Thanks also to all the "hats" there.  You really can see your passion in what you do.  I never once felt demeaned of inferior and even when I was getting frustrated with numerous malfunctions, somehow you all managed to keep me in the game and still enjoying the process.

Thank-you YHJ for the kind correction to me mounting the sling backwards on my rifle. :)

I look forward to reunions with all of you in the future.

See you on the line!

Greg

hawkhavn

All,

What a great weekend! A new rifleman, a new Red Hat, new friends and time well spent with old friends.
Maggie, Greg and Deb I hope to see you on the line again down the trail.

Greg, it does get a little addictive, then you put on a funny colored hat and learn a whole lot more...

Alex it was great seeing you hop pole vault over the fence, all that practice paid off.  I think there is a life lesson in there somewhere.

Kate a pleasure to be there when you changed out of that scruffy orange hat, I foresee another change a few years down the road.

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

IndyGunworks

Quote from: mlzoiss on September 16, 2013, 10:27:22 PM

If you ever make it down to Indy, I will install them for you for free while you wait.

Orangedotfever

Congratulations Kate. A well deserved red hat. You've earned it.  O0
"Need", has nothing to do with it!

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living."  John Wayne

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well armed lamb.

Riflegirl

It was great to be at a shoot and to see everyone. Good job Kate!  O0

Riflegirl (Alex)