News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

St Augustine, FL - September 7-8, 2013

Started by FLawyer, September 13, 2013, 12:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLawyer

Saturday morning promised a respite from the near daily rains of the past week and lived up the promise.  11 out of 11 preregistrations showed up on time and prepared to participate and learn.  Plus 2 walk-ons.  Our friend Dix was back for another try at the elusive Rifleman patch.  4 of the Naval Corps of Sea Cadets were also back to improve their rifle marksmanship.  The rest were all first time attendees. 
After all the usual administrative and safety preliminaries were accomplished we shot the Redcoat which told us that there was definitely room for improvement.  We then settled everyone in the shade for the long block of instruction covering Sling Use, Solid Shooting Position (Prone), the Six Steps to Firing the Shot and NPOA.  After a dry practice session where every shooter was given one on one attention by at least two different instructors we shot our first sighters on the squares target.  Lo and behold all but one single shooter had groups of less than 8 MOA.  After covering Talking Targets and IMC and shooting a couple more sighter groups on the Squares we broke for lunch. During Lunch all ears were on Prof. C.J. as he described the background to April 19 and introduced the First Strike. After lunch  we moved into Seated and Standing shooting positions and transitions.  More Dry Practice with trying the various Seated positions with one on one coaching.  Some drills on the Squares with transitions and reloading under time pressure. Another Strike during a hydration break and we moved on to the AQT. 
While no one shot the score on Saturday improvement was demonstrated by the Redcoat targets.  On Sunday after briefly reviewing the instruction from Saturday, we launched right into the AQT grind and shot 2 AQTs before lunch.  While the temperature and humidity never quite reached InfernoSeed conditions no one was complaining about being too cool.  By the end of the day 3 Riflemen were revealed.  Stephen - congratulations.  Come back to attend another Appleseed and we will invite you to accept an Orange Hat.  Garrison and Hudson (both are 16) get permission from your parents and we will gladly accept you are IITs. 
Daniel and Jacob - Don't give up.  Keep practicing at home and come back again.  Jacob if you can master the sling it will greatly improve your scores.
It is too bad that the Belcher's had to leave early on Saturday but we look forward to seeing you at another Appleseed in the future. 
I am sure that some of the many pictures taken by ToneDef will soon be posted.
All men have been endowed by their Creator with the unalienable right to keep and bear arms.  All we have do is protect it.

Molon Labe!

FLawyer

A point that I left out of the original post which deserves special mention.  A huge thank you to the parents of the Cadets who took shifts to bring the Cadets in the morning, at least one parent stayed at the range at all times, someone brought them lunch and then took them home again in the evening.  While the young Cadets are to be commended for their desire and persistence, it would not have been possible without the very active participation of their parent group.  Huzzah.  Now if we could just get some of them on the line....

Glenn
All men have been endowed by their Creator with the unalienable right to keep and bear arms.  All we have do is protect it.

Molon Labe!

Grunt

Glenn, I definitely made some progress, thanks to the one on one attention.  Thank you and all the instructors.
On a personal note, would you please contact me at my personal email, plumcat3@att.net?  There is a matter I would like to discuss with you related to Sunday 9/8 at the Augustine shoot.

Thank you,
Dix
amat victoria curam
amat Victoria curam

9mm4545

I am so glad to see that some of the Sea Cadets have returned for more marksmanship teaching. With young folks like these around, the country may have a chance after all. Wish I could have been there.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

ToneDef

Life has been a little busy for me lately but I plan to have the photos uploaded by tonight if all goes well.
"Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing." - Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

"There's the country of America, which you have to defend, but there's also the IDEA of America. America is more than just a country, it's an idea. An idea that's supposed to be contagious." - Bono

Palatka ten twelve "Smoakin' IBC"

PHenry

:pics:

Just kidding - would love to see some pics though if u git a minute.  O0
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

ToneDef

Prof C J's First Strike

TomM1Thumb's Second Strike

Dix's Target - getting better each time!

A member of our Posterity earns his Rifleman Patch - Huzzah!

Another young Rifleman - Huzzah!!!

St. Augustine's September Riflemen - Huzzah, Huzzah, HUZZAH!

I apologize for taking so long to get these photos posted. If you would like to see the rest of my photos from the weekend, log on to:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28678720@N08/sets/72157635703114674/
"Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing." - Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

"There's the country of America, which you have to defend, but there's also the IDEA of America. America is more than just a country, it's an idea. An idea that's supposed to be contagious." - Bono

Palatka ten twelve "Smoakin' IBC"

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata