News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Myakka City, FL 09/07,08/2013

Started by PHenry, September 10, 2013, 04:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHenry

Quality over quantity was the theme of this one. A father and son arrived Sat and familiar face Dwight brung attendance up by 50% on Sunday. Still, despite the low turn out, the three who did brave the beautiful terrible trial of spending a beautiful day at a great public range, enjoying one of the Founder's great traditions could not have been better. My hats off to Kirk, his excellent son Page, and to Dwight who surprised and humbled me when after making score he told me that his plan all along was to take the orange hat and become an Appleseed instructor.

Kirk and Page brung empty cups and as such, showed marked improvement all weekend. Kirk ended up in the 190s and Page did very well, up into the 150s as I recall. Both clearly have a Rifleman inside just waiting for some dry fire practice to reveal. This was Dwight's fourth event, which is the average number to make score. Dwight had it all down pat and merely needed to let his inner Rifleman take control. He shot a 230! Huzaaah! He even requested a Mademoiselle Yottnotin's Rangers patch, which he declared can be seen from a greater distance than OD green or tan.  ^-^

It had been some time since I trod the old line on "area 51" at Manatee Gun and Archery Club - felt really good. A fellow came down to the firing line - Derek I believe. He's taking over the club's newsletter, so hopefully he can help us bring in more shooters and more range fees for the club. While there was only Stoneknives and myself, we could have easily handled a dozen shooters.

If anyone has any idears on how to get more Americans out to MG&AC, please send me a PM. I will assist in any way I can. I have loads of promotional material and press releases, etc. It;s a great venue and we need to get more shooters on that nice covered line.

Please also tell us what we did right, wrong and might have done better.

Many thanks to the three fine Patriots who did come out and to my brother on the trail, Stoneknives for keeping me on track all weekend.

In Liberty,
PHenry
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Kirker

Gentlemen,
I thank the heavens that I am a better writer than a conversationalist as I could not  muster the words to accurately describe the humbling nature of meeting two Fine Americans  voluntarily dedicating their personal time to meet my son and I alone at this Appleseed  event this past Saturday. All I could say throughout the day is "Thank You" and more than necessary as if those two words would somehow transform into something of greater and more accurate meaning on the 20th iterance. I would like to share a few bits of my journey so far in the hope that this may help others in their journey. Also so that I may provide some back story in order to circle back to at least a partially detailed appreciation.

This is my second Appleseed. My first Appleseed with sly223 saw me on the line only on  Day 1 with a best score of 101 but a wealth of information and techniques to learn and hone. Day 2 brought equipment trouble with a rear tech-sight that fell off before the first shot was able to leave the barrel and as its stippling was stripped, it refused to be fixed (I happily add that this was quickly resolved by the good folks at Tech-Sights after the event). The loaner had its own troubled scope and after recognizing my blood pressure was through the roof, my patience out the window and my sons obvious need for help, I simply spent the rest of my efforts that day helping my son Page. This was certainly not a lost day.

My NPOA Story (so far)
I mention my first Appleseed event here only to point out that it can be easy to hide in  a line with 30 folks in it. I had big troubles in my seated position my first event (being of a smaller frame), the standard techniques didn't cut it for me and my second event was no different. I was muscling the barrel in the seated position and my NPOA was 5 feet low into the dirt. There came a time on Sunday of which the following words I have heard many times exclaimed from PHenry and sly223 just echoed in my mind "Turnin' money into Noise!!!" My trigger finger would not throw another shot due to such serious and obvious neglect in my NPOA. I spent a seated position round of fire doing nothing but trying to obtain something that at least resembled an NPOA in my seated position, not one shot fired. This was a bit embarrassing, but not as embarrassing as continually throwing shots in this position. I was not going to fake this one any longer, it was simply irresponsible to do so.

The prep period of the next seated position round of fire was lengthened for me a bit with PHenry offering his similar experience in seated position and explaining his solution that did not involve my trigger foot in my rifleman's cleft. Index toward the target more: check, elbows here and here instead of there and there: check. I'm a little higher out of the dirt, so far so good, but there's still something wrong. Take your forearm hand, turn it from palm-up to palm-to-face and against your mag: POW! On target! That's more like it! One final complaint remains. My Mueller APV scope is not forgiving in its eye relief, my neck muscles are on FIRE straining back on my stock to achieve proper sight alignment. PHenry and StoneKnives again to the rescue. When the one-piece scope mount on my Marlin 795 was moved forward, it stopped precisely where I had initially envisioned it but was hesitant on placing it there myself. The eyepiece is now in vertical alignment with the rear of receiver although the forward screw and forward 1/3 of the clamp section of the one-piece mount is WELL beyond the forward end of the dovetail. It's out there gripping nothing but air, but again, where I really wanted it all along. If that's kosher with these guys, it's kosher with me. I am not overly worried about being uncomfortable, but what I was doing prior to these adjustments in position and equipment was just plain wrong, and  I knew it. A dramatic change of confidence and comfort in my seated position resulted that allowed me to start working out my NPOA in that position. Finally! That's a holy cow THANK YOU!

Note to self: Remove your fat wallet prior to attempting your seated position, dummy.

Prone. I'm pretty comfortable here, most of my dry fire practice and sling ups off range are in this position. During one of our prone position prep periods, I had my trigger leg hiked up pretty good but my foot was touching my other leg. It seemed to me like I had that right. An unknown instructor during prep, took my trigger foot while I was in position and threw it to the right. Whoever that was, do not hesitate to do that again to another shooter. I was relaxed and my foot moved with full compliance. When completed, it immediately felt CORRECT, in fact my next thought after "yeah, perfect" was "Now I can get my trigger knee up even higher". THANK YOU!

Page
Enough about me. Without my son by my side my efforts and minor achievements pale. I mentioned during the weekend that he almost didn't come. Page is 13 and his friends are becoming more and more important to him. He had a good friend's birthday party that he really wanted to attend, but was torn between Appleseed and the party. I had a brief conversation with him regarding opportunity and that while I WANT to return in November, I cannot guarantee such a quick return. There was no pressure, he is certainly old enough to make his own decision in this matter and this is not a matter to force feed. He has obvious understanding in teh simple and powerful truths regarding Liberty and a solid self interest in marksmanship. He opted for his good friends party and I accepted. Not forgetting the importance of friendship at his age myself, I fully understood. Perhaps it was in speaking with his uncle about his envy over the matter in not being able to attend this event that changed Page's mind. Regardless of reason, I was proud and honored to have him on the line with me. His first Appleseed  Day 1 score 72, day 2 score 99. This past event Day 1 score 82, with a consistent AQT marksman score on Day 2. Solid improvement. I was happy to see his groups shrink by half this past weekend and was ecstatic to see him  place his final round of the weekend squarely  in the 250 yard shingle shot. Good job buddy, the light shines brighter upon the man inside of you every day and it is my joy to watch. Did I mention he shot an AR-15 before his dad has? AR work scorecard Page: 1, Dad: ZERO. Way to take advantage of an opportunity when it presents itself Page, you never know when "later" may come.

Dwight
Mr. Dwight, it was a true pleasure to meet you. I'm taken more by the words you spoke in regards to the importance of Liberty than your skills with your rifle, though skilled you are. I can relate fully in your determination to not just shoot above a 210, but to annihilate it ....consistently. I'm not sure if you ever achieved your "everything in the black" goal, but based on your scores, you had to have come close and I commend you on your performance Sir. Congratulations Rifleman! I do hope to see you in your orange hat in November.

Just One More Thank You
So allow me to give this Thank you business one more shot. Appleseed instructors, those I've trained under, those I will train under and those I'll never meet. I am humbled, I am honored, and I am most indebted to your sacrifice and service. For giving up weekend after weekend, Thank you. For putting your money and time on the line so that you may ignite the brushfires of Liberty in the hearts of the modern American, Thank You. For making the same sacrifices for 2 attendees  as you do for 30, Thank You. As iron sharpens iron, so man sharpens another, and I find you to be some of the hardest forged that I have had the privilege to meet. You are a noble lot!

Respectfully,
Kirk

stoneknives

What can I say about this weekend's MGAR Appleseed except that I was given another  a Blessing from the LORD. Every weekend at Appleseed just continues to reinforce that we are doing good work for HIM and our Nation.

How else can you explain that each Appleseed that I Volunteer  for I receive the privilege of meeting a whole firing line of true American Citizen's. Top it off with the Mentorship and the Fellowship of the Instructor Corps, Appleseed easily bests all of the other organization I have worked with. I do not believe in that kind of Luck, the odds of meeting so many good people is just not chance. I do believe something good and right is happening here with us, just as something good and right happened on April 19th, 1775.

This weekend Appleseed unveiled a new Rifleman and gave us a sneak peek at 2 more in the "coming attractions".

Kirk is on the bubble and I'm sure, with some "perfect" dry fire practice and getting less uncomfortable with his sitting position, the AQT will show us the proof of the Rifleman that is in him. You looked very comfortable shooting PHENRY's M1, I think it made him a little jealous. Also Kirk, thank you for the kind words, they make it all so worthwhile.

I was so impressed with Page, he is a young man "who knows well what he is about".  Very good groups on the paper. He made rapid progress learning to use his TechSight and teaching his eye to focus on the Front sight and his mind on the target. Again "perfect" dry fire practice between now and his next Appleseed and I would bet good money on Page earning his patch.

A big red, white and blue Marlin 7000 came to the line Sunday morning and very early on, before the first AQT,  PHenry and I knew that there was a Rifleman on the line. The fun was not letting you know it Dwight till the end of the day. 230 on your first AQT and 213 on the last AQT (A Fast 40) you definitely showed your skill, consistently. Your Orange Hat is waiting for you to take it, good Sir.

Thanks again to PHENRY for your kindness, patience and council. The Florida Appleseed Cadre set's the high mark for quality and consistency and I am honored to "carry the bucket" with all of you gentlemen.

stoneknives
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

scuzzy

Kirk: Thanks for taking the time to write about the shoot. People like you, Page, and Dwight are the main reason I've spent so many weekends away from home doing Appleseeds.

People like you give me hope for this country.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

TomM1Thumb

Kirk.

If getting into the sitting position is a problem. Just like using Dry Practice. Practice getting in to and out of the sitting position is Important.

If You are using a Cross leg position(Yoga Lotus position) try sitting  in the cross leg position while watching TV or using Your Computer. This will Help get You Stretched out, making You more limber, and easier getting in and out of position.

Best of Luck in Your Journey to Rifleman!

Tom
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

308LIBERTY

Kirk: It was a pleasure shooting next to you as well. I can tell there is a Rifleman and a Patriot within you. For seated position practice I would sometimes sit in the floor with the rifle in my lap. I honestly still can't quite master the seated position either but I've been ok with crossed ankle. Finding the sweet spot where your elbows and knees lock into place without any wobbly point to point contact is the key. Once I established NPOA I would go back and forth between resting the rifle in my lap and up on my knees in position until I could get my target alignment quickly. Make sure you have it "smart" into your shoulder pocket every time or else the sights are going to be all over the place. Same thing with the cheek weld which is essential to sight alignment, even if you have to pretend you are kissing the rifle out of the corner of your mouth each time, do it consistently. Think more about leaning into position, THEN bringing the rifle to your cheek rather than leaning your cheek down to the rifle. This will keep you from getting disoriented from the fluid rolling around in your inner ear.  Eyes forward with as little head tilt as possible. If you're still having trouble getting the front sight high enough, try adjusting your knees up to your elbows a little bit rather than sinking your elbows down to your knees (although skooching your right elbow a little lower will also bring your sights up). If your right foot is firmly under your left leg you can move it back and forth (like a fulcrum) to raise the elevation of your forward knee up or down. Finally, sink into it just a little as you breathe out and if the front sight is still low, make your adjustments and try again. Once it finally starts working, keep repeating it because perfect practice makes perfect.
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

308LIBERTY

and by "target alignment" I meant SIGHT PICTURE. Just correcting myself to use the proper language.
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

Kirker

Dry fire game. Roger that Gents, I recognize PHenry, StoneKnives, TomM1Thumb and DwightC ALL mentioned it and I did not acknowledge that advice earlier. I well know after this weekend that I need to certainly drill more at home and with greater focus. It will be necessary required to reach the next level for sure. This is advice that will be heeded and acted upon.

Dwight, I'm gonna give special consideration to your point on rifle-to-cheek as opposed to cheek-to-rifle. This is not currently an item on my work list, so I'm concerned I may have missed it. I will pay attention to my form on this point as I sense you are likely mentioning it from your observations of me on the line. This one may have slipped, thank you for calling that out.

StoneKnives, I appreciate that compliment regarding Sally. She was a hoot! This yet another experience that I am grateful for and my thoughts drifted to my Granddad with admiration while doing so.  In fact, I just sealed the fat envelope on the CMP order for one like her. Now the trick on that is to forget about the order, cause I won't get to meet her for some time. By the way, will you explain your handle and avatar pic? Are knives a hobby or livelihood?

NHale

Outstanding, gentlemen, outstanding...

Appleseed: Because you never know when the British will come looking to collect back taxes...

308LIBERTY

Awesome Kirk! I put my CMP order in yesterday as well. Maybe we'll have them by Christmas. Let me know when you get yours and we'll have to meet up for some range time.

Kirker

Congratulations Dwight, I'll be certain to let you know when the M1 comes in. I would be glad to meet up with you to bring them through their paces. Sounds like a good time.

PHenry

QuotePeople like you give me hope for this country.
What Scuzzy said.  O0

DwightC and Kirker - I never regretted a rifle purchase in my life. Huzaaaah!
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata