News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rosebud, MO : September 7 - 8

Started by Mutti, September 08, 2013, 09:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mutti

AAR as reported by GooseGun per Thursday's Request.

-----

Please add photos or comments as we'd love to hear from everyone there this weekend.

-----

Saturday started out warm and partly cloudy. With all of the helping hands the setup was swift. Everyone brought a lot of pop ups, which were used to cover the line. By the time things really started moving, we were grateful to have the shade.

Sure, Not nailed the safety rules and Polar Bear started the morning off with smiles as he led us in the "Safe Rifle" song, accompanied by the dance. After maintaining muzzle control and bringing rifles to the line safely, we posted our Red Coats, to begin our first Course of Fire for the day. Groups started out shaky, but as the day progressed they began to shrink drastically.

As we were shooting our first few squares, some of the other instructors drove to the KD range to hone their skills. During the midmorning break Mr. Thursday presented us with an incredible First Strike. After the First Strike we shot several more squares then took lunch. During lunch Mr. Thursday gave an outstanding and moving Second Strike.

After lunch we started out with the 6 steps to firing the shot. While we were presenting them the instructors came  back from the KD range. We then had IMC, mag changes, NPOA shift and practiced safe transitions. When everyone had settled in and was confident they understood, then we had our first AQT.  Guess what? We had 2 Rifleman on the very first AQT. I was impressed. We finished up with a Red Coat. Everyone had improved from the morning. RiflesnReins presented the Third Strike.

Sunday we started out cloudy and with some sprinkles. We had a new Red Hat and Orange Hat  presented. Right after the Pledge of Allegiance the Pop ups started to fly and flip. Thankfully we were able to steady and nail them down before they could damage the cars. After shooting our Red Coat and some squares, we started on AQT's. The already light sprinkle that had been falling picked up. Now is was pouring. After two AQT's, while the shooters were scoring targets, they listened in to some DOM stories. KD Cat did Hezekiah Wyman and David Lampson. Sure, Not did Samuel Whittemore and Abram Clarke. Mutti spoke to us about the British prison ship Jersey.

Thanks to all the great Instructors we had a safe and smooth running Appleseed.

Goosegun out
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

Cory Mathis

Please, Please, Please..........post a video of the Safe Rifle Dance.  PLEASE.

Thanks,

Cory

JerryH

Although I did not get my patch (this was my second appleseed) my Daughter (Morgan) joined me at Rosebud for her first appleseed. Morgan has basically not touched a rifle before. Thanks to a number of folks, Mutti, Polar Bear, Riflesand Reins, KD Cat,  Morgan was going very well at the end of the 1st day. The second day started with shooting squares. She put 5 of 5 in the black. Then she repeated it again on the second and third square. I was blown away. On the second AQT she shot a 225 (I think) and received her patch. (Did I mention I still haven't yet.) I am very proud of my daughter! Here are some picts. The last one was her playful 'in your face' to dad that she qualified and I didn't.

Mutti

Saturday:

Well covered line:

Red Coat @ 9:36 am - great way to start the day!

With so many IIT's - we had the chance to work closely with you all!

And down working they were:

Soon it was time for a History Break : "Trinity of Oaks serving in lieu of a Liberty Tree"

I think this is one of the best Strike 1 I've heard at Rosebud -

Then back to work. And work it was in the Heat that afternoon

Worked through some adaptive issues (Ione - you rock - a 170 - seriously - when will I see you again to get a pic of your Patch?). Hey Carol - be a Rockette and shift those hips for NPOA and elbow adjustment :

imadentist working with Pam. I think that position issue combined with the better trigger control had you improving so quickly:

I think we had some of the best sitting / kneeling scores I've ever seen. You all paid such close attention and tuned the position to what was needed to complete the job. Great instruction helped of course.

First time shooter - All the time Listener. Morgan rocked sitting with a 49 on her final AQT. Jerry and Rennee - nice young lady there.

Father and Daughter - just something about that pairing that makes my day!

And then our Rifleman showed themselves:

Dale - quietly "snucked" up on us. We saw it coming, but he's the silent type. Great Job.

Stepping off an International Flight late the night before,  Brian joined us on his way to the IDPA Competition down in AZ. Thanks to IIT sure, not for bringing out his Pals to join us for the Weekend.

4 Instructors stepped up to test their mettle out to 315 m. After leaf drop there is a 400 there just waiting to be utilized.

We worked in Relay and learned some things about our Rifles. Real data - real dope.  Remember the numbers will get you on paper - but the fine tuning is up to you.

We called in the back up to see if we could range any further out, but alas while 347 could be reached by standing on tip-toes - Safety ruled the day!

Next time we'll need to take into account the drop (18 - 20' I'm told) at 315 m.

And then it was time to close it up for the evening. Old Glory was gently lowered and we went home to prepare for another day.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

thursday

This was an excellent shoot with six riflemen in spite of having to quit early Sunday because of dangerously close lightning.  We even had two charming visitors from Britannia herself, I hope we don't have to fight a war with them again, those two lads can shoot!
if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to to do another and harder and better one.-C.S.Lewis

It takes a lifetime to build a good reputation, and fifteen minutes to build a bad one.-My Dad

duckcreek51

Another great shoot!  It was great to see old friends and acquaintances and meet some more new people.  I was happy to see the amount of Riflemen (and to be "politically correct" - woman) and the progress of all of the shooters.  Once again, we had a great group of instructors!  It was also great to see Mutti and Mike and their minions.  It is always a pleasure to listen to them tell their stories.  Seeing Imadentist and Polar Bear show up was an unexpected, but pleasant surprise.  I enjoyed meeting the new instructors that I have not had the pleasure of working with up until this weekend.  I hope to get to work with you all again.   The only downfall was the weather on Sunday.

Congratulations to Goosegun for taking his Blue Hat ..:..   ^:)^ 

Also, I would like to thank Mike - a.k.a "Houston Mike" (or whatever you choose your forum name to be) for taking your Orange Hat.  Just let the Missouri Coordinator, Connibear know your information to contact you and so that we can keep up with our Missouri instructors.  If you need help, you have my forum name.  Send me a personal message and I will do what I can to help you out.

The most special part of this shoot was having my wife and son there to meet my Appleseed family!  They both enjoyed meeting everyone as well as the AS experience and can't wait to go back and try again!!

I enjoyed Thursday's family farm, which is a beautiful place as well as meeting his wonderful family.   Thank you all again for your hospitality! 

"As for this damned old fox, the Devil himself could not catch him."

RiflesnReins

I would like to say a big THANK YOU to all the Instructors and Shooters who made this shoot possible. From beginning to end this was a great Appleseed. Everyone went home with smiles, with memories. Everyone gave excellent History presentations. A well run and safe shoot.  O0

I cannot wait to see some of you at the Wright City shoot.  &)

RnR
"Come on guys!  Keep your eyes on your magazines. Stop looking at RnR to tell you when to fire. I know you can hear her down there. Trust me I should know, I live in the same house!."  Mutti

"The truly blind are those who will not open their eyes to see"

"How can a man die better, than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his Fathers, and the temple of his Gods."
"Horatius At The Bridge"
Thomas Lord Macaulay

I am not sleeping... I'm just practicing the prone position.

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
― Winston Churchill

"The trouble is not in dying for a friend, but in finding a friend worth dying for."
― Mark Twain

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
George S. Patton

connibear

This was my first shoot there in rosebud and it was a hot one on saturday. Since there were so many instructors some of us instructors got to go to KD after we did some squares for some zeroing. I must admit KD is more of a challenge than I thought and I learned that I have some adjusting to do, but it was a great time especially since I don't shoot much center fire.
It was great to meet all the instructors that I have not met before and hope to work with you all again. Congrats to all the riflemen (woman) who qualified. They know what they are about. To the others keep dry firing and come again to improve your skills. Congrats to our new orange hat ozark settler, welcome.
Although I only stayed for saturday, it was a great time at thursday 's farm and look forward to it again.
......"Where the spirit of the Lord is there is Liberty."    I Cor. 3:17b

A Nation that does not serve the Lord Jesus Christ cannot and does not have Liberty.

Sure, Not

This was a great shoot, the Brits had a great time and learned a lot of new ways to be accurate. They have been recruiting others to shoot. It was an absolute pleasure to work with such a great team at an excellent location.

Thank you to all
"Necessity is the mother that will imprison you, starve you, and kill you dead without remorse. If you have not prepared for necessity in emergency situations you will die. She is a cold-hearted woman with neither love nor sympathy for those who do not foresee and prepare."

The name Not Sure is from a movie every adult should watch. "Idiocracy" unfortunately it has come true.