News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ramseur 8/13! RBC at the Home Range

Started by PHenry, September 03, 2013, 12:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHenry

My feet still hurt and my voice has yet to recover. My gear is in disarray and will take weeks to clean, replenish and put away proper. And yet, I am sad to not be at the RWVA range any longer and surrounded by the men and women that attended the recent RBC.

That sums up how much I personally enjoyed this event. It stands as my favorite RBC to date. I feel as if I learnt more than I taught. My hat is off to each and every attendee and instructor.

From Ashley who slep in a real-life hammock between two trees, refusing better digs and cooked her chow on the fire, refusing the use of a stove,  to sweet 15 yo Hannah who shot a big ole Garand out to 500 yards with aplomb.

We had the pleasure of watching Bill S go from trouble grouping at 25M to shooting very well at 400 yards. And Bill W who suffered through the heat, humidity and knee trouble to make score and shoot KD and pop-ups.

And there was Scott who offered much excellent info and had his family come out to see what we were doing. Pete and Diane worked very hard and made excellent progress, despite car and rifle troubles.

NHale, despite myriad personal responsibilities decided to take up the orange hat - darn glad to have u on the firing line sir. Dan, who also traveled all the way from FL, shot very well, taking high score on the AQT, and asked for a blue hat to help press the program forward.

Salty Paws suffered through my endless nitpicking without so much as a disparaging remark and is a fine addition to the NC cadre.

Aftermath came down, all the way from Minnesota to help out and shoot some - great to meet you Alex. You are a credit to the Sis nationwide and I learned a lot from you. Morpheus, Hannah's dad is one of the best instructors I have ever seen in this program and he has given me a bar to which I must rise, if I am to deserve the title of senior instructor.

I know I am so tired that I have surely left someone out - trust me, it is not on purpose, but simply from failing brain cells.

The FL crew went home tired and ragged, but grinning from ear to ear. I know I speak for all of us, when I say we will count the days until we can return to  the "Home Range" for another dip in the birthplace of Appleseeds.

My eternal thanks to Wildman and Hawkeye for doing so much to make this event work, and to all of the students and instructors, without which I would have fallen on my face. I am prouder than a game rooster to have rid with each of ya! You're just a bunch of peaches and I'll nevr say diffrnt.

For thems who didn't make it, I'll be plain. You messed up! Don't pass up such a chance agin, if u are so fortunate to git a second shot.  :wb:

Ramseur! 8/13! Huzaaaaah!

PS: Pics to come.  O0
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Ramblin' Wreck

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

ThaiFighter

There are six steps to long posts on the internet...

step one: ALWAYS TYPE YOUR POST IN WORD AND PASTE IT INTO THE TEXT BOX ON THE INTERWEBS...

:slap:   :wb:
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

PHenry

TF,
See what happens when I bring a empty cup!

step one: ALWAYS TYPE YOUR POST IN WORD AND PASTE IT INTO THE TEXT BOX ON THE INTERWEBS...

That is an excellent idear.

Of course, the backspace key does help reduce my overall posting, keeping me out of trouble at times.  ^-^
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

AFTERMATH

Quote from: PHenry on September 03, 2013, 03:40:48 PM
TF,
See what happens when I bring a empty cup!

That is an excellent idear.

Of course, the backspace key does help reduce my overall posting, keeping me out of trouble at times.  ^-^

Step two:  Never trust the spell-check and/or auto-correction off any devise, software or platform.

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Morpheus

What a great way to spend a week! Not much compares to spending time with the likes of the fine instructors and shooters who participated in Ramseur 8-13!

It was hard to leave Friday, but after being neglected for a week my business required my attention. As PHenry said, it will take some time to sort out the gear, body aches and the mountain of work that piled up but I would do it again in a heartbeat. The luxury of time at a typical AS weekend does not exist, and even six days for this RBC didn't feel like it was time enough.

Thank you to those who travelled so far to be a part of this event. Shooters from VA, MD, FL, GA (and even some NC folks) and Instructors from MN, OH and FL. I trust that your efforts for liberty will not be in vain.

A special thank you and HUZZAH! to PHenry for his leadership and inspiration during this week. He was certainly in his element to SB this event.

I hope to see everyone again soon on the AS Trail.
"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi (and Paul Ryan, kinda)

NHale

Bam!
Appleseed: Because you never know when the British will come looking to collect back taxes...

NHale

I was wrong, they do make hats that big.
Appleseed: Because you never know when the British will come looking to collect back taxes...

NHale

But wait...there's more!

Uncas

Thanks to all at the RBC. PHenry did a great job. Morpheus, Aftermath, Ratchet, Alkeford, Bill O Rites, Sly223 and Thaifighter were great instructors and we are greatful for their dedication. Hannah, if 5% of the next generation has your character, I think we might be OK. It was a pleasure meeting all of the participants. Salty and Bill S, hope to see you guys at the September 28th Appleseed.

Uncas (Bill W)
Ramseur! 8/13!
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest ... if we want to learn the use of arms, here is a golden opportunity."–Mahatma Gandhi

PHenry

Quoteeven six days for this RBC didn't feel like it was time enough.
Amen to that! I felt like I was always behind and in fact, missed several points of instruction, much to my personal shame. I don't know how Junior Birdman and the rest got it all in, but they're gone, so improvise, adapt and overcome we must.

QuoteA special thank you and HUZZAH! to PHenry for his leadership and inspiration during this week. He was certainly in his element to SB this event.
Where were u last week?  ;)

Thanks for the support - hope to see ya'll again soon. In fact, I would very much like to get an IBC set up soon at home range, with a day of KD shooting to follow in place of the live-fire mock AS. Two birds with one round and all.  ^-^

I will contact Lawrence and see how he feels about it. Who's in?
PH

Uncas

I'm willing to do an IBC at the home range, question is if I'm able. Let me know.
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest ... if we want to learn the use of arms, here is a golden opportunity."–Mahatma Gandhi

ThaiFighter

"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

PHenry

IBCs are open to any instructor (shot Rifleman and attended two events or a RBC, then accepted the orange hat) For any who have already attended an IBC / RBC there is no fee.

I will PM Lawrence right now.

Many thanks,
PH

Nero

Quote from: PHenry on September 04, 2013, 03:21:45 PM
IBCs are open to any instructor (shot Rifleman and attended two events or a RBC, then accepted the orange hat) For any who have already attended an IBC / RBC there is no fee.

I will PM Lawrence right now.

Many thanks,
PH

We dropped all fees on IBCs earlier this year.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

saltypaws

What? IBC and KD? I'm in! Get a date that's not the first weekend in October and I'll be there as long as I don't have to hit a deer to get there. 

From a students perspective... I had such a great time learning at the RBC and enjoyed the fellowship even more. Oh yeh and making piles of brass!  For me it really started the minute I got there. With my dead car on a tow truck and Alkeford helping me get ALL my gear out. What selfless service.

Phenry set the tone with a solid program of instruction. The polished and dynamic presentations were great but what was really impressive........ he never used a teleprompter!    Sly223, Morpheus and Bill O Rights had such impressive and emotional presentations of history (I am already stealing) I'll never forget. 

Hawkeye and ThaiFighter did a magnificent job with the Appleseed Pistol Clinic on Friday it was easy to follow and use to improve my pistol marksmanship. With a couple more PQT's I am sure I will be sewing another patch on my jacket.   Thanks to everyone who helped me learn about my M1 which was about everyone from Aftermath and Bill o Rights to Hawkeye and Wildman. I have been bitten by the bug and I am now determined to achieve Rifleman the first chance I get with it. 

It was also a great week to relax around a campfire and talk. Listening to the conversations really warmed my heart. I really hope we can save this sinking ship and be able to continue this American tradition of Marksmanship and fireside chats.

Uncas, Sadly I won't be able to make the Sept 28 event at the home range. My week at the RBC came at a price (besides a deer and my car) ... one weekend off for my wife. (Don't tell her but I got the better end of that deal!   ) If I can get my kids onboard with the idea I might be able to bring them out for their first Appleseed. I know I have one vote, the other may cost me a new bow and some arrows....

Carry on! Carry on!

Salty
"We are paratroopers Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded". ~ CPT Dick Winters ~

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong."

"Make good scouts of yourselves, become good rifle shots so that if it becomes necessary that you defend your families and your country that you can do it." - Lord Baden-Powell, Scouting For Boys

Agrivere

It was a great week of marksmanship and history, and I am certainly glad I took the time to make my way up to Ramseur!  The mini-Appleseed Pistol Clinic was especially interesting, and it was nice to get a taste of what the program is looking like.  Plus shooting out to 460 yards was good fun!

Safe shooting,

Agrivere
"The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world... The first step � in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come � is to teach men to shoot." -Theodore Roosevelt

Batherick

If we do an IBC before January, I'm in!  I'm going to the appleseed in Montpelier and bringing a friend, that should hold me over in the meantime.  :)

-Ashley

Batherick

I also found a copy of "Paul Revere's Ride" yesterday.  After checking two public libraries, I found it in the medical library in my Hospital. Go figure.   #)  You all should have warned me Mother Batherick was a gateway drug to RW History!

-Ashley

alkeford

My Hat is off to all who attended Instructors and students alike. We went into this as stangers and came out as Brothers and Sisters of Liberty. Welcome to our three new orange Hats Batherick, NHale and Polonius. I can not describe in words the fun I had with my extended Family. Thank you all for allowing me to a part of your lives and this thing we call Appleseed.

P.S. for you new Orange hats heres your new Bucket start bailing. ad every one ca check out the pics on our Facebook page Florida Appleseed project.
Esse Quam Videri (To be rather than seem to be)
Powder With My Brother Ball Most Hero Like Doth Conquer All,
Tomet Nosce
The Suda, a tenth century encyclopedia of Greek Knowledge, says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are,"and that "know thyself" is a warning to pay no attention to the opinion of the multitude.

Red Niva

I must say this RBC was one of the best and most fun things I have ever done. I loved meeting all the new instructors and new people. Words just can't describe how much fun I had and how much I learned. I can't wait to attend another RBC(and maybe not sleep through the Appleseed Pistol Clinic next time) and help instruct one. My thanks to all the amazing instructors and students for helping me learn and have a great time!!!
"Darkness is returning to Paradise. Are you ready?" Johnny Drake

"From the desert has come a voice crying in the wilderness, and his name is John. Johnny Drake to be more precise. But ask his disciples and they will tell you his mission is no less defined than the mission of John the Baptist, who first introduced the Light from heaven to the world over two thousand years ago. The multitudes listened to John, who told them that Jesus of Nazareth was the Way to God. Then Herod toke John's head.
  Now the question begs us: Will the world listen to Johnny Drake? And who will take his head?"   Quote from the book, "Sinner" by Ted Dekker

alkeford

Esse Quam Videri (To be rather than seem to be)
Powder With My Brother Ball Most Hero Like Doth Conquer All,
Tomet Nosce
The Suda, a tenth century encyclopedia of Greek Knowledge, says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are,"and that "know thyself" is a warning to pay no attention to the opinion of the multitude.

PHenry

Sly223

I can't wait to do it all again,
Great people places and faces, Fine Americans that I will gladly have on my side when needed!
Red Neiva, you are an inspiration to our future,
I hope you and my oldest Reagan can meet one day she is very book smart and a pretty good shot,(190) with a cast on her broken thumb!
I could not respond sooner,I needed a vacation from my working vacation so my best friends,20 in all took me 4 days to the Bahamma's this is my first weekend home in months.
I have to admit there is unbelievable  growth potential from our new people,
Agreiver,
you showed up to show us up and for the most part did,
I think the most important thing is to remember speak to the people not over them or through them. When we first arrived you were anxious to tell us all what you knew before we knew how much you cared, By the end of the week people were not looking for the door afraid of being involved in a conversation that was well over the avg. mans comprehension and I now know how much you care, and will never question you motives again. It was an honor to see the new you erupt from your shell, We are but human! You are now my brother and I plan on trying to attend an event in your area at least once a year!
Before I forget I promised Fred that I would state my initial feelings and findings, Well, it goes with out saying that, I had unrealistic expectations when I arrived at the Home Range of where it all began.
After noting a few oversights and some needed sharpening on the simple deliveries of the verbatim safety instruction, I quickly realized there was a funny dichotomy, in that the less accomplished or seasoned hats were able to take instruction but were Leary in pointing out the errors of the higher leveled instructors. We have to be able to tell the leaders when they do wrong, this is largely wrong with our country! We the people need to keep our keepers in check.
Weather it is the SB at an event that sends the shooters to there vehicles prematurely, or the club founder who's attire could be cleaner and more presentable. We had a very in depth AAR review at a seafood diner, where for about three hours we hammered out our observations and built a stronger tighter team with a more specific agenda.
The most important thing we brought to this arena was the fact that we have great respect for our mentor PHenrey but we do not let him get away with anything that is not perfect! We should not strive for excellence we are excellent we need to strive to be perfect!
I have great admiration for all of the folks I met and look forward to seeing you all in the future! ..:.. ..:..
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!