News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

My LTR for December!!!!

Started by IamCaleb, August 23, 2013, 08:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IamCaleb

Quote from: IamJeep;4687231This will be the rifle that will help me make Rifleman in December! If I do my part, that is. LOL... It's pretty much stock with the exception of a trigger parts polish and my own home-made charging handle....handle. Anyhow, check it out (still waiting on sling to arrive).

ToneDef

"Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing." - Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

"There's the country of America, which you have to defend, but there's also the IDEA of America. America is more than just a country, it's an idea. An idea that's supposed to be contagious." - Bono

Palatka ten twelve "Smoakin' IBC"

ThaiFighter

"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

draken

Nice! I like the CH!

Don't forget the sling! (a leather 1907 would go nicely with rifle.... but that's just me...  ;) )
"Those things which are precious are saved only by sacrifice."
~David K. Webster~

FiremanBob

That handle is way cool. How did you do it?
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

DrRichP

Very nice. I love the charging handle. I am looking forward to reading you earned your Rifleman patch. Best of luck to you!
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

IamCaleb

Quote from: ThaiFighter on August 23, 2013, 10:44:51 PM
Veddy nice!

Thank you.

Quote from: draken on August 23, 2013, 11:31:39 PM
Nice! I like the CH!

Don't forget the sling! (a leather 1907 would go nicely with rifle.... but that's just me...  ;) )

Thank you, sling is in the mail!!

Quote from: DrRichP on August 24, 2013, 02:29:44 AM
Very nice. I love the charging handle. I am looking forward to reading you earned your Rifleman patch. Best of luck to you!

Thank you, I'm looking forward to posting I earned my patch!

IamCaleb

Quote from: FiremanBob on August 23, 2013, 11:35:58 PM
That handle is way cool. How did you do it?

Thanks!

I will let the pics speak for themselves.........

Removed handle from the rod assembly.

Chucked the rod in a drill

Polished the rod with various grit sand paper, followed by Mother's Polish.

Got a piece of dowel and some stainless hardware.

Cut dowel down to length.

Chucked dowel into drill for shaping.

Final shape/look.

Cut off original handle, then drilled and tapped. Finally assembled.

Stained to closely match stock.

Done.

Charles McKinley

Nice lathe O0. I like the way you think.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

IamCaleb

douglas34474

IamCaleb,

Have you had a sighting issues with the sight setting so high?

IamCaleb

No issues Douglas, it actually feels more natural than the factory irons (had to dig my cheek into the stock with the OEM).

douglas34474

I built a LTR for a gent using the International as the basic rifle. I mounted the standard "Ruger" Tech-Sight TSR-100 which does not use the rail. Just wondering if the added height in your setup was an issue.

Thanks for the reply.

IamCaleb

Quote from: douglas34474 on August 25, 2013, 08:22:55 PM
I built a LTR for a gent using the International as the basic rifle. I mounted the standard "Ruger" Tech-Sight TSR-100 which does not use the rail. Just wondering if the added height in your setup was an issue.

Thanks for the reply.

Zeroed the sights last Thursday, no problems with the height of the Tech Sights.

IamCaleb

Decided to throw in a Volquartsen target hammer, auto bolt release and trigger return spring. Now it has a nice 2.5# trigger pull with very little noticeable creep. I might drill and tap the trigger to put a "stop" on it after it breaks.

malabar

You realize that you will have NO excuses, don't you? <g>
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

IamCaleb

Quote from: malabar on September 14, 2013, 11:44:48 PM

I don't know what you are talking about, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!  O0

Tomblin

Why wait till December?
~~:)

Port Malabar Rifle and Pistol Club
Palm Bay, FL

Address: 610 Hurley Blvd. SW; Palm Bay, FL 32906

Date: October 05, 2013 - October 06, 2013   

IamCaleb

Quote from: Tomblin on September 15, 2013, 09:16:27 AM

Why wait till December?
~~:)

Port Malabar Rifle and Pistol Club
Palm Bay, FL

Address: 610 Hurley Blvd. SW; Palm Bay, FL 32906

Date: October 05, 2013 - October 06, 2013   

Because those dates conflict with a previously scheduled activity. So, December it is.

IamCaleb

IamCaleb

OK so, I shot my first Appleseed this past weekend....December 7,8. What a blast! The instructors were great and I learned a ton. I did not make Rifleman this time around but, next time it's on like donkey kong. My high score was 197 and my lowest was 133. The rifle did it's part, I did not. Although, my skill improved ten fold with the teachings of our great instructors. I just want to say thank you for your knowledge and patience with all the shooters. See you again in February!

:~ 

Twineagles

thanks for sharing nice looking rifle! Good luck

Mike
Every time I teach a class, I discover I don�t know something - Clint Smith

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. � John Wayne