News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

More Cold Weather (WinterSeed) Ideas

Started by fisherdawg, August 14, 2013, 11:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fisherdawg

I hate to think the "W" word just yest, but we are losing over 5 minutes of daylight every day here and SouthCentral Alaska.

At our most recent event debrief a bit of cold weather wisdom was found and several highly experienced cols weather hunters/shooters/biathletes in the Alaska Instructor Cadre arrive at this guideline for Appleseeds held in temperatures below freezing:

Dress as if it's fully 25 degrees colder than the thermometer shows.

Good stuff

Add to this earlier post below.

Suggestions for Coping with Winterseeds (aka Cold Weather Appleseeds):

Having spent a very enjoyable weekend at an Appleseed Instructors Known Distance Clinic held northeast of Palmer, Alaska over October 13 & 14, I have some suggestions for successful rifle marksmanship in subfreezing weather.  We hold Appleseed clinics rain or shine, hot or cold.  And with the extended forecast calling for low temperatures to 15 degrees over the 20th & 21st, I have the following to suggestions beyond the conventional advice to dress in layers, wear a hat & gloves and keep hydrated, which all remain essential, of course.  I'll start at ground level and work my way up.  I am not suggesting that a participant has to run out and buy all these things to attend, but in Alaska many of us have accumulated these kinds of things over the years and if you have them available yourself or could borrow them for a weekend that they may a good idea to bring along.  I was trained many years ago that a margin of comfort equals a margin of safety in this environment.
1.   Insulated boots with a wool & synthetic sock combination are vital.  I recommend Sorel or other 'Shoe Pac' designs or well-insulated hunting boots.  Warm, but not clumsy is the goal here.  100% synthetic fabric liner socks to wick moisture away from the feet and a medium to heavy wool outer sock like 'Smart Wools' or the equivalent work very well. I recently tried some 'Darn Tough' brand - they were great.  Cold feet are miserable.
2.   I was comfortable with a 3 layer approach on the lower body.  This means 'long johns', pants and over-pants.  I wore a borrowed pair of Carhart canvas duck insulated bibs and they were great.  Snow pants or bibs would be fine too as long as they do not restrict movement into seated / kneeling and prone positions.
3.   On the upper body, I found 3 layers plus an outer layer for wind resistance worked well.  Again, warm, but not too bulky is better.  A hooded coat is great as the hood can be flipped down and out of the way while in position.  Trust me, though, a cotton hoodie by itself will not be enough for 9 hour day outside in an Alaskan October.
4.   The head and neck need a bit of special attention in these conditions as shooting is a 'still' activity, but the insulating gear must not interfere with a good cheek weld, as you will learn.  I used a fleece 'neck gaiter' and it was dandy.  A warm ski cap or similar that covers the ears goes without saying, right?  I found that a fleece balaclava was a bit too bulky and lead to some inconsistent groups when it got somewhat in the way.
5.   Hands need special consideration as you will need both dexterity and warmth.  Thin and snug liner gloves under a looser outer glove or mitten worked well.  I used full grain leather work gloves that I could pull off and leave the liner on without fussing to be a good combo. Loose fitting ski mittens would be great over the liners too.
6.   Sometimes, say when preparing a magazine, even the liners have to come off.  I found the small hand warmer packets, such as Grabber brand or Little Hotties, essential to keeping the numbing cold at bay.  They can be tucked into gloves or wrist to help your hands re-warm after working ungloved.  Bring an adequate supply as you may find that a pair in the hip pockets, coat pockets or in the top of your socks or even in your boots to be a great addition.  They last several hours, but may need to replenished to last through the day. Please plan accordingly.
7.   If you have a small propane 'sport' or outdoor heater, please bring it.  One per every four or five shooters would be a great addition to the line, but we'll make do with what comes.  Having one of these on your table can help make sure you don't have to take a warming break in your car or the clubhouse and miss a course of fire and the related instruction.  Brands are Coleman (I have 2 which I have used for years) or Mr. Heater / Buddy.  Also, you can bring them along when we circle up for lunch and you'll stay nice and toasty warm while we present the events of April 19th, 1775.
8.   Light weight 'Space Blankets' will be a great way to 'wrap up and warm up' at lunch too.  Bring if you've got them.
9.   A thermos full of a hot beverage and maybe a second with some hot soup for lunch is also a wonderful idea.
Well, that's a lot, but I hope its food for thought.  It will be well worth the trouble when you earn that blue, icicle-adorned 'Winterseed' Rifleman's Patch.  I look forward to seeing all of you on the line.
Fisherdawg
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

Mutti

This topic is old, but I would appreciate assistance with #5.

Planning to attend an event which most likely will need the ability to keep my hands warm for 6-8
hours. Normally I use a thin silk-thin liner type glove with insulated Leather gloves. However while dry firing outside this morning (-5 windchill), I've discovered that after perhaps 20 minutes this is not sufficient.

Any suggestions would be appreciated including specific brands that work for those who frequently deal with this issue.

Thanks
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

2 clicks low

When shooting in the cold I carry light deer skin work gloves, unlined. Medium weight cloth gloves and some really heavy ski/snowmobile gloves.

I swap them all day long. When shooting I use the light one on the trigger hand and a medium on the support hand. If it starts to get too cold I switch to Med & Heavy for a bit.

As soon as I put down the rifle I put on the heavy ones to rebuild warmth.

Oh, carry spares for each as if they get wet or even damp from sweat they loose warmth.

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

slim

I have wool fingerless gloves with built-in mitten flaps that pull back and velcro to the gloves when not in use. They are, by far, my favorite type of gloves to use in cold weather because they're only about medium thickness and still allow for enough dexterity to do most things. I got them at Meijer for $8 on clearance. I think they're only about $13 regular price. Well worth it.

Keep your fingers moving inside the gloves/mittens and whenever you're "down" put your hands in your armpits or inside your jacket/pants. If you have cold hands all the time, add a hand warmer (chemical or the zippo kind) to your pockets and keep your hands in there, with gloves on, whenever possible.)

As 2 clicks notes, take your gloves off frequently and/or change them out whenever they're wet. (Wool eliminates the need to do that.) Removing your gloves and sticking your hands in your pants pockets or inside your belt will warm them quickly.

Warm hands is often a mindset. We focus so much on our fingers and what they tell us all day long we forget they're largely unimportant for most tasks at Appleseed. Our bodies are designed to draw the heat from our extremities when we're cold so cold fingers is normal. If you can trick your mind into saying, "That's okay, brain, those fingers are supposed to be cold right now." you can often get over cold hands pretty quickly. Wiggle them around a bit and press on with your business.

That said, head, hands and feet are the most important things to keep warm in terms of comfort. If you can keep those things warm you won't feel cold at all. (#4 and #1 above.)

And drink cocoa or coffee. A hot beverage two or three times throughout the day is a game changer. You'll hold the warm cup in your hands and instantly your mood will lift. (#7 above.)

hogfamily

Maybe overkill for some areas but these work great. Wear a thinner glove inside. Most folks would use a large. They come with wool or synthetic liners. I prefer the synthetic liners. The wool liners are a little harder to find. The dummy cord is nice no lost mittens. You can put chemical heat packs inside to keep your fingers really toasty.

Search arctic mittens on Ebay.

I have paid between $15 - $25 for them.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners.

"Move that fat ass Henry!"
"Don't swing your balls or you'll swamp the boat!"

Mutti

Alright ! Thanks all. I'm searching for the warmer / different layered concept. For this afternoon I found some nice surplus wool socks that have been darned quite a few times. I think I'll be able to create a flap style covering that can be held back with Velcro and accessed easily. Now - to find the Serger...

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

FourFans

FWIW, I go the other way. I hate shooting gloves. To me thin tight gloves only make my hands colder. The "over-mittens" are a great idea. Pack them with chemical warmers (lil hotties are the best). During the COF tough it out, but have a "happy place" for your hands in between.
DO NOT under-estimate the huge amount of heat you lose thru your head. It manifests itself everywhere but your head.   "If your feet are cold,, put a hat on". Before you know it your body is already protecting you.
Cold noses and ears are a bummer, but cold fingers and toes,, think about where the heat is going.
  Just sayin...

Oh, and if it is relevent,, nicotine is a killer on cold days,, trust me.
--FF
"should something happen,,tell the children of this night".
   --credited to Capt Parker, April 18th '75

22 A DAY

Pete!

Naturally, a beard is the best way to keep your face warm.   O0
-Pete

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)