News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Chugiak, Alaska August 10 & 11, 2013

Started by fisherdawg, August 13, 2013, 03:14:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fisherdawg

If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

fisherdawg

Fred was Here!

Here in Chugiak, Alaska at the outstanding Birchwood Recreation & Shooting Park we have conducted 9 Appleseed Marksmanship & American Heritage Clinics since 2011.  We have had SunnySeeds, WinterSeeds, DustySeeds (10th Alaska Clinic  in Soldotna!), WindySeeds and this weekend we had a very wet RainyFREDSeed.  The weather did NOT dampen the ardor of 23 hardy Alaskans for the very best of the Fundamentals of Rifle Marksmanship & American Heritage.

This is amply illustrated by the following:
Six new Alaska Riflemen (Alaska has 40 Rifleman)
1. Matthew aka AlaskaRed
2. Adam
3. Dillon
4. Tom C.
5. Tracey
6. Josh
HUZZAH!! ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

Two of our new Rifleman have stepped up to take the Orange Hat of an Instructor in Training (IIT):
Matthew   aka AlaskaRed
Tom C.   (forum name pending)
HUZZAH!! ^:)^ ^:)^

And one new Red Hat of a fully qualified Appleseed Instructor was earned:
fisherdawg
HUZZAH!! ^:)^

To my fellow instructors:
vaquero
eagleriver
Pete!
Taka222
jasoncshooter
You are awesome.  I mean it does awe me to be associated with this cadre.  You all are true Patriots & High Sons of Liberty. Pete! deserves a commendation -- he only moved to Alaska 2 days prior! And didn't have his raincoat unpacked.  Preservered anyway. :cool2: :cool2: :)

Saturday morning dawned wet with Rain and stayed that way all morning.  Our initial Hits Count Red Coat course of fire found that 7 of our 20 shooters had an effective range of at least 100 yards. The end of the day would show a much better result which made the Instructor cadre very proud.

We covered a fire hose torrent of information:
Safety
The Four Safety Rules
The Six Steps of Firing the Shot
Line Commands
Sling Use
Steady Hold Factors of Prone, Seated/Kneeling & Standing Positions
How to find, adjust, and verify NPOA
Rifleman's Cadence (How to fire one accurate, well-aimed shot with every breath aka 'Rapid Fire')

In fact, one of our shooters with a deep and lifelong background in rifle marksmanship including youth competition, college varsity rifle team, NRA & CMP Highpower Service Rifle competition and with NRA Certified Instructor credentials emailed me the following late Saturday evening:

"I can honestly say, you provided the most intensive day of riflery training in my lifetime of experience.  The lasting impression is that the Appleseed program does a tremendous job of emphasizing the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship in a very short time. I would recommend participating in one of these events for anyone who is interested in improving their marksmanship once they are to the point where they understand the basic operaton of their rifle and are able to ensure they are using the correct ammunition" :)

The proof of this was shown on our final Red Coat on Saturday which had 15 of 20 shooters establishing and effective range of 100 yards or more including one shooter clearing the target and six shooters making the 250 yard 'head' shot! ^:)^

On Saturday we told our shooters the true story of April 19th, 1775 "The Three Strike of the Match."
I believe the results of Sunday showed the our shooters grasped the precious Heritage bequethed to us by the Founders, slept well and returned inspired.

Sunday opened with rain and 19 shooters on the line.  The opening Red Coat found 13 of the 19 with an effective range of 100 yards or beyond.  We reviewed our Points of Instruction and reviewed with several drills.  At about 11:00 we posted the Main Event, the Appleseed challenge, QD-AQT or Quick & Dirty Appleseed Qualification Test.  On Saturday no shooter on the Chugiak line had scored the requisite 210 of 250 points to earn the coveted Rifleman Patch.  That would soon change.

Our first AQT on Sunday revealed 2 new Riflemen -- Matthew (aka Alaska Red) ;D and Dillion ;D.  As the AQT GRIND went on more and more were rising to the challenge as AlaskaRed ;D & Dillon ;D proceed to shot multiple qualifiying scores.  Adam settled into a groove and shot several good scores including (I believe)238, high for the day. Tom C. had been 'knocking on the door' since our June event and made the grade, not once, but TWICE.  WITH A BOLT ACTION RIFLE! ^:)^ ;

Quietly with firm concentration on the righthand end of the line, Josh O0  twice shot qualifying scores and even more impressively helped Tracey  **) earn her Rifleman patch.

I am humbled and gratified to have spent over 20 hours this weekend helping instruct such superb American Patriots such as these.  There are several others on this line who have patches waiting for them -- Andrew,  Danny, Grant, Mooseneck, Sarah, Anne, Shad, Sean, Daniel & Mark B. you know who you so I won't have to mention any names. ;) ;) ;) Dry fire will get you there.  See you soon.

The amazing fact that of these 6 Rifleman, 4 were attending their first Appleseed! The average shooter attends 3 to 4 events to achieve the Rifleman level of marksmanship 'expert'. 

Also, our final Red Coat showed 4 shooters clearing the target!

My Saturday evening correspondent also comment of the History presentations:
"History: WOW! ... I was very impressed!  The Appleseed Program brings rifle marksmanship, history and citizenship together in a unique way.  What an experience....your presentation of the events of April 19th, 1775 was amazing! I've watched a lot of speakers in my day, few have made such an impression." :)

I'm sure if our corresondent had attended Sunday he would have found the Dangerous Old Men & Women presentations met the same high standard.  Pete!, eagleriver (RANGERS!) , fisherdawg, Taka222, jasoncshooter and Fred entralled the audience with their stories. ;D

This success must be attributed to the presence of our Shoot Boss, Appleseed Founder & Visionary, Fred  His insight to Marksmanship and our American Heritage was given to in a quiet and determined voice. When he spoke both participants and instructors were quickly drawn into the Appleseed Vision & Mission with intensity.  My thanks and gratitude to him are so vastly inadequate compared to what he has given us and what we can accomplish through Appleseed for our country and our posterity.

Fred, thank you for coming.  We will strive here in Alaska to be  more than just 'above average', but rather worthy of the label "Appleseed in the Great Land."
Your humble servent & with fondest regards,
fisherdawg
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

fisherdawg

fisherdawg

fisherdawg

fisherdawg

Rain Setup with 3 canopies -- shoutout for Dirk Retzlaff ;D true friend of the program O0went out of his way to bring 2 of these out. ^:)^

Fred

Quote from: fisherdawg on August 13, 2013, 04:03:57 PM
This success must be attributed to the presence of our Shoot Boss, Appleseed Founder & Visionary, Fred 

At the risk of sounding contrary (just a bit), I take mild exception to this comment.

When I arrived at this event one thing became clear to me immediately: The Alaska AS instructional crew has been well-trained. WELL-trained!

They knew what they were doing, and they went about doing it!

Like everyone else, I tried to do my part this weekend, but credit for any results has to go where it belongs - to some volunteer Alaskans (including one brand new one) who heard the AS message, took it to heart, and stepped up several Appleseeds ago to become the first Alaskan AS instructors.

Credit also belongs to those Alaskans who showed up with teachable and eager attitudes. The results speak for themselves.

My first Alaskan Appleseed experience was a very positive one, indeed! O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Mooseneck

Hello all of you AK Appleseed shooters attending last weekend!
I've been to a more than a fair number of these events (from the first one here in Alaska) and I learn something every time. Fisherdawg, all I can say is congratulations from my heart. We're all proud to have a home-grown red hat. You truly deserve it, and it dang near brought a tear to my eye. Fred, your patience, wisdom, and perseverance against what must seem like walking head on into a tornado truly humbled me. And thanks for the autograph, I've got it hanging in a special place in my reloading room. You've really started something, and even if I never get a patch, I will always be there for Appleseed, whether it be the need for some rifles, help setting up, whatever, I'm there. I may be broken, but I'm not giving up...Congratulations to all of you that shot so well and earned your patch. You have every right to be very proud. I'll hope to see all of y'all at the next shoot in October! I even bought a pellet gun to practice with at the house (gets me outside more)...I guess if I attend enough of these, the laws of probability should eventually pick my number...210+. Until October, stay safe, spread the word, and don't come alone - drag as many folks as possible. They won't regret it...Cheers...Bob "Mooseneck" O
"The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away."

Taka222

I don't think there's much I can add to what's already been said, so how about I add a few pictures?
PREPAREDNESS - "When you need it and don't have it, you will sing a different tune." Burt Gummer

Pete!

This was a great shoot and a great welcome back to Alaska for me!  I enjoyed working with Fred for the first time.  I look forward to the next opportunity.  We had some great shooters and fine Americans on the firing line.  Congratulations to our new riflemen, orange hats, and fisherdawg with his new red hat!

Fisherdawg, I need to correct you on one point.  I moved here the Tuesday before so it is closer to four days and not two.  :)
-Pete

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)

fisherdawg

Oh sure, go ahead and mess up my story! ;)

Seriously, I look forward to working in the program with you,  Pete.

BTW, was that Tuesday morning or Tuesday night? :cool2:

Wally

Quote from: Pete! on August 15, 2013, 10:08:30 PM
This was a great shoot and a great welcome back to Alaska for me!  I enjoyed working with Fred for the first time.  I look forward to the next opportunity.  We had some great shooters and fine Americans on the firing line.  Congratulations to our new riflemen, orange hats, and fisherdawg with his new red hat!

Fisherdawg, I need to correct you on one point.  I moved here the Tuesday before so it is closer to four days and not two.  :)

fisherdawg

Fred,
Well, of course we are well trained (and constantly improving), do you have any idea how tough,  how committed our SC/RC Itsansks is?  Hard man, that. ;)

In all seriousness, we owe Eric a lot and I would not be Rifleman, much less a Red Hat without his instruction, effort and passion for this program. O0

fisherdawg

Quote from: Fred on August 14, 2013, 12:41:56 PM
Quote from: fisherdawg on August 13, 2013, 04:03:57 PM
This success must be attributed to the presence of our Shoot Boss, Appleseed Founder & Visionary, Fred 

At the risk of sounding contrary (just a bit), I take mild exception to this comment.

When I arrived at this event one thing became clear to me immediately: The Alaska AS instructional crew has been well-trained. WELL-trained!

They knew what they were doing, and they went about doing it!

Like everyone else, I tried to do my part this weekend, but credit for any results has to go where it belongs - to some volunteer Alaskans (including one brand new one) who heard the AS message, took it to heart, and stepped up several Appleseeds ago to become the first Alaskan AS instructors.

Credit also belongs to those Alaskans who showed up with teachable and eager attitudes. The results speak for themselves.

My first Alaskan Appleseed experience was a very positive one, indeed! O0

Pete!

I am a part-time Celebratory Fecal Engineer.  It doesn't pay well but it sure is fun.   ;)

We arrived Tuesday afternoon.  :cool2:

Quote from: fisherdawg on August 15, 2013, 10:47:44 PM
Oh sure, go ahead and mess up my story! ;)

Seriously, I look forward to working in the program with you,  Pete.

BTW, was that Tuesday morning or Tuesday night? :cool2:

Wally

Quote from: Pete! on August 15, 2013, 10:08:30 PM

-Pete

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)

Mutti

We sure will miss Pete here in Illinois,  but it looks like he has transitioned well. 

Mutti
(p.s. FYI  Pete is also a great reluctant dancer)
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

Pete!

Hush you with the dancing talk!   &)

Quote from: Mutti on August 18, 2013, 12:25:15 AM
We sure will miss Pete here in Illinois,  but it looks like he has transitioned well. 

Mutti
(p.s. FYI  Pete is also a great reluctant dancer)
-Pete